don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I completely agree. I find it harder to decide whether the overuse of bloom or shadows are more hideous in most HD remasters.

I think Colors is like Windwaker in that the original is just simple and nice to look at.

2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm not so sure about that - a lot of companies that outsource to us actually expect us to use their internal libraries (with the usual NDAs in place) because it means it's easier for them to maintain and patch when we're done with it. That doesn't necessarily mean that SEGA do that, of course; just that it's not uncommon.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

According to the wiki, ST intended to license the Hedgehog Engine. I don't think they ever did it, though.

Anyway, I agree that the new visuals look pretty tacky and amateurish. Hopefully these aren't indicative of the level of effort that will be put on the remaster. I'm worried that Tails' gameplay will be just a Sonic model swap.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I could see him being more akin to the differences between Sonic and Blaze in Rush than Sonic and Tails in S3K. It seems he’d still use the Wisp Powers, so maybe his boost is a lot better in the air and his double jump gives him much more airtime, allowing him to access higher routes much easier than Sonic.

5. MBeca

MBeca

Dunno if anyone has posted it already, but I checked Rise of the Wisps' press trailer and it has a similar amount of leftover metadata to Sonic 2022's teaser. Project names, file routes but most importantly, build date. Seems like footage was finished around september last year. It lines up perfectly with this rumor that said it was planned for a September reveal and December release last year but delayed due to SEGA QA reporting the game to be unplayable. It also mentions a movie based-skin that could very well be the movie boost effect and/or in-game icons. The codenames for RotW seem to be "ProjectRainbow", "Sonic_Pilot" and "SonicLongform".
    upload_2021-5-31_1-4-14.png upload_2021-5-31_1-4-32.png upload_2021-5-31_1-5-10.png upload_2021-5-31_1-6-38.png

• Informative Informative x 17
    • List
  6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Glad to see the “new” SEGA is taking this whole delaying a game for quality thing very seriously, that being the case.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Pilot and Longform just refer to the episode and trailer respectively. They're not codenames.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

An artist by the name of Brian Connelly that's worked on Colours Ultimate has uploaded a bunch of videos showing various effects that he produced for the game. His Art Station page is here, and I've backed up everything on YouTube.

This video shows the Tails life icon, which seems to be related to a new game mode instead of playable Tails. Tails' icon is a collectable, there's a new gold coin collectable that I guess is tied to costumes and Sonic has the Jade Wisp in the inventory:

Gold coin present again, and a new HUD effect indicating a bottomless pit:

It's a nice idea and better than Generations and S4E2s signs that were baked into the level layouts, but I hope that you can disable it.

The map screen also shows the number of gold coins that you have:

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  9. Frostav

Frostav

I am honestly staggered anyone thought a quick-and-cheap re-release was going to add an entirely new playable character, one that has never ever been playable in any Boost game and thus has no gameplay framework to crib. What could Tails even do? What could he do? Colors' levels are a minute long each, extremely linear, almost psychotically obsessed with wisp sections where Tails would be identical to Sonic anyway. His flight would be utterly useless given how linear everything in the game is. In 3D sections there is absolutely zero stuff off the beaten path (and no tiny side paths with items or whatever don't count) and in the 2D sections you're doing wisp bullshit 80% of the time anyway. He'd be a skin of Sonic with a completely and utterly useless ability.

Frankly, that above paragraph is why Tails (or Knux for that matter) has never been playable in any boost game, even as a bonus or anything. His entire gameplay philosophy is completely worthless in the level design of these games. Even in the much longer levels of Gens and Unleashed he'd be utterly pointless.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think it was obvious that Tails was never going to be playable with full flight. That just wouldn't work with Colours' levels. But I don't think that an alternative skin (which is all he was originally in S2) or very slight changes like an enhanced double jump or bottomless pit recovery would be out of the question. It's a shame that they haven't added such a small feature that would go down very well with fans.

11. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I wouldn't want Tails in a game without him being used with his full potential.

Tails flight really only works in fully 2D or 3D games or you won't be able to take advantage of his range of movement. What's the point if you're just making him a skin?

12. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    The leaks have certainly been interesting lately :V
    I haven't rewatched the announcement trailer but honestly this gameplay doesn't look too bad graphic wise. Despite my contant bitching about Colours, rewatching the game in action I have to admit it's a beautiful looking game

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's just a teeny not of harmless fun. That's all. Not something I'm personally very interested in either; if you can't use the characters to their full extent, I'm not very interested. But it's harmless adding in other characters as skins. No story relevance, no specific missions, no differences whatsoever except the character. Forces did it with Shadow.

14. Frostav

Frostav

Well, yeah, but Shadow is basically functionally identical to Sonic in-universe anyway (and is like literally based off of him in-universe too) so it makes sense that he'd be playable. He can homing attack, boost, spindash, etc. Tails without his unique abilities just would feel...weird.

I mean if he is a skin, cool and all, I just feel it would be pretty minor and pointless.

15. MH MD

MH MD

He wasn't, no? he was created 50 years prior to the events of SA2, and Sonic is like...15/16 years old?
    -unless you mean the prophecy in S3-

And Shadow wasn't just a skin in forces, he has couple of moves unique to him, which i thought was a good approach to adding new characters in boost gameplay, one of the few good things that Forces did right.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Just for the record, no, Shadow didn't have unique moves in Forces. The levels in Episode Shadow are the only ones that have chains of bee-like badniks that he can do a story of homing attack dash through, but they're functionally the same enemy as in Lost World's running sections and Sonic can interact with them just fine too. It's like the Avatar being the only character with used wall jump on Forces, although it still exists for Sonic (and by extension Shadow) too. Shadow and Sonic are identical in Forces.

17. With that logic, what was the point of him being in Sonic 2 then? I do still agree that it'd be pretty lame now that his flying has been firmly established to include him only as an alternate skin for Sonic. It'd be super lame, but I'd still be pleased to be able to play as him in 3D again. I do find it bizarre that a life icon would be an unlockable, but whatever. Glad I didn't jump on the "Tails confirmed!" train after seeing those screenshots, but who knows what surprises they may have in store.

18. Maybe the icon isn't for actual lives, but the "tails collectible" count. Maybe you don't have lives in this mode so they just replaced it with a counter?

19. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member

He's not fun in Sonic 2 and I don't think anyone thinks him not being able to use his flight in the game is anything short of a missed opportunity. I've never played as Tails in the OG Sonic 2 personally.

I wouldn't want Tails first 3D playable appearance in 15 years to be a Sonic skin either. Just me though.

20. MH MD

MH MD

While i recall the move you are talking about, because that move was limited to certain automatic stages - i think- , and cause LW was it's own style of gameplay, the fact that Shadow did it in boost style game was new, cause for sure i don't Sonic ever doing it in any boost style game in the past, the fact that it's reserved for Shadow in Forces still differentiate him enough imo