don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Aside from the awful lighting in Tropical Resort, there's a lot of very visible seams in the stage geometry in Sweet Mountain:

[​IMG]

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

Blind Squirrel technically do under-the-hood engine improvements to things with their remasters, but until Mass Effect 1 on the Legendary Edition, they usually just slap in the engine upgrades and then totally fail to account for how it affects the visuals. The Bioshock remaster is downright ugly compared to the original game despite the tune-ups as a result. And ME1's case was a massive sweeping visual overhaul that does look better for environments, but then they kind borked how the characters looked and the art pass was questionable to the original game's intent.

I wouldn't be surprised if Colors Ultimate is on an updated Hedgehog Engine and yet they failed to account for the original lighting whatsoever. It's totally in their track record.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

So thats 2 games that Hedgehog Engine 2 has bodged now. :thumbsup:

4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    comparing to Dolphin is kinda unfair isn't it? the average Sonic player doesn't have the rig or knowledge to get that emulator working, let alone to leverage it for graphical improvements.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya ok that's unfortunate. Can't defend that one. I still don't think the lighting is that bad. Tropical Resorts new lighting makes some sense, it's in space after all it'd prob be darker, plus the original was weird where like everything was bright EXCEPT Sonic who looked like he was permanently in the shade.

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Aside from resolution of course, Dolphin shots are largely representative of how the original game looked on original hardware.

(Dolphin's also pretty accessible these days, honestly.)

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh you know I wonder what the plan is for the cutscenes? 90% of them were in-engine but then converted to video and compressed to hell and back. So those will have to be all redone from scratch potentially, a 1st for any Sonic rerelease

8. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    By the by Denuvo is why I still haven't bought Sonic Forces for PC despite loving it on the PS4 which I no longer have. Not surprised Colors is going to have it for this reason, but it isn't any less disappointing. Games take enough hard drive space without the extra bloat. I will probably buy it eventually, but not at launch.

9. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    https://soahcity.com/2021/05/06/rumor-new-sonic-colors-ultimate-details-leaked/

The game looking worse than the OG had me remembering this leak. This person claimed that movie Sonic would be in the game and that Colors was supposed to be a 2020 release but got pushed back due to the porting being a disaster so far.

Is this what they meant? Maybe when porting the game to HE2 things broke more than they expected and they've been spending all that time getting to HERE at the very least?

The movie Sonic thing might have been wrong but the person who gave him the information might have just gotten mixed up because movie Sonic being in the game makes MUCH more sense than just his boost and just misunderstood what was given to him.

Makes you think I guess.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  10. MH MD

MH MD

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    How can a port of a 10 year old game be that broken? You're already like 70% there when it comes to a remaster. Could you really fuck up that royal to delay this 9 months?

Curious how the controls are changing with this port as there are more buttons. Can we drift or sidestep whenever we want now? Can we boost while drifting?

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Roger posts a lot of nature shots, wouldn't read into this one at all for a myriad of reasons.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Consider:
    • Other, much larger companies have attributed huge delays due to the pandemic. Square Enix recently stated that Endwalker was delayed explicitly due to it and the technical headaches it caused them, and they're a huge company
    • They were working on other remasters during this time which means that they likely had fewer people working on this (due to having to split people onto different projects for instance), and the smaller a team is, the more difficult it becomes to handle setbacks, especially technical ones
    • Speaking of which, wouldn't surprise me at all if Sega lacks documentation or even source code for Colors, which makes technical problems more difficult
    • There are absolutely remasters that are total disasters and are released as total disasters. The one that comes to mind immediately is Silent Hill HD Collection (which notably, does involve the issues of missing source code)
    • But even ones that aren't as derided exist, such as the GCN ports of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, which not only lacked certain visual effects but had audio issues and crashes - and those actually had changes made to them too, for stuff like interface changes to match the GCN controller buttons and improvements to the framerate (as well as translation changes), so it wasn't "slap an emulator and ROM on disc and call it a day". Sonic Adventure DX, as mentioned in here a lot, also has a worse lighting system and missing a lot from the original in that way. It's not unheard of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Epic really slapped down money for Sonic Colors PC exclusivity.

It will most likely be on Steam before the SHC 2022 starts though.

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    There are still just under 3 months until the game releases. Obviously not a lot of time, but hopefully if we keep making our voices heard on this stuff then we can at least get some improvements before release.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Should of hired me - I can see the frame rate drops!

17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    The lighting meant to give Colors a more realistic note (similar to the Sonic costume in the Olympics game, which looks ridiculously realistic btw) but I get it when people say it looks like someone just slapped a bunch of filters on everything to make it prettier. It wouldn't be the first time that games went overboard on these kind of things.

18. brandonj

brandonj

Well i'm still kind of excited to have a proper port of Colors for PC and Switch but of course SEGA had to give us the monkey's paw version of it with EGS exclusivity and "UE4 SEGA HIRE THIS MAN" tier graphics. At least we'll probably get some decent modding out of it if nothing else

19. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    The modding potential alone makes this worth it to me. I'm certain someone will manage to make a mod that restores the levels to how they used to be before they were split up in the final game, and I'm really excited to play it that way.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

https://colors.sonicthehedgehog.com/

The official Colours Ultimate site has a shitty, game industry circa 2021 breakdown of the digital version versus the "digital deluxe" version, including the further confirmation of the Deluxe version releasing earlier than the standard version, with exclusive goodies on top of that. No such information exists for the retail version. And it also lists Steam and not the Epic Games Store. It could be that it's also on Steam, or that the website is incorrect/outdated and it'll be EGS exclusive as the trailer implies.
    coloursultimateversions.PNG

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List