don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Huh, I just found out a bug in the animation data of ARZ waterfalls in the original S2. Basically, the blocks in mappings/16x16/AnimARZ.bin referring to VRAM tiles $563-$566 should refer to $557-55A instead. This is visible even in the first waterfall, at the point where it meets the water.

Can you elaborate on why you don't like it?

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I agree with ICEknight. It doesn't feel right having Cream bring Sonic in. Also I've seen in a hack somewhere. Can't remember which one but instead of Sonic floating in. He just ran on to the screen. It was one where you had the option play as Tails and Sonic was controlled by the computer. You could do it like that.

3. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    aw, I liked the idea of Cream bringing Sonic back, but yeah, he could also run to catch up the rest of the players, but I prefer the idea of Cream

4. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Your idea sucks, sorry.

Super Sonic Flying on screen was also in another hack if I recall. It worked rather well. Also, I liked the idea of sonic springing back onto whereever you were, as if there was a spring from underneath.

5. Or pull a Chaotix/SSBB and have him jump from the bottom of the screen and land where you currently are.

There are many options that have been mentioned:

- Super Sonic returns
    - Cream brings Sonic back
    - Sonic runs back on
    - Sonic leaps back to screen
    - Sonic falls back on

Any more?

6. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Yeah, I was doing it right then. The build script points to the correct frame; I checked the ROM in an hex-editor and the correct DPLC addresses are being pointed to at the location of off_3A294 (which I grabbed from s2.h); and I checked the DPLCs by hand and they are also correct. Still, something is garbling up the graphics; all releases so far have been with the correct mapping frame in the build script.

After nearly banging my head against the wall out of frustration after trying a couple dozen things without success, I finally know what was going wrong. All I had to do was to replace this:
    Code (Text):
    1. lea    (a3,d0.w),a4; source ROM address of tiles to copy
    with this:
    Code (Text):
    1. lea    (a3,d0.l),a4; source ROM address of tiles to copy
    near the (commented) label CopySpriteTilesToRAMForSegaScreen. After that, Sonic's art started loading correctly. I only have to edit the mappings now, add Tails and Knuckles and set up a proper palette and the Sega screen will be back in business.

Edit:
    - Sonic glides down with a glider of sorts
    - Sonic glides down holding balloons
    - Sonic rides a rocket back on-screen
    - Sonic rides a flying/swimming badnik back on-screen, then destroys it
    - If Tails and Knuckles are also respawning at about the same time, they can bring Sonic in
    - For water levels, Sonic can surf back on

7. Cap.Z.

Cap.Z.

- Sonic rides a flying/swimming badnik back on-screen, then destroys it
    - For water levels, Sonic can surf back on

That would be epic

(bye bye to my trial posts)

8. Could go Chaotix style and either have the "ring bond" or the 'recall' button effect.

9. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    ^Eww, no. Tiny sprites blown up larger than the screen looks bad.

10. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Not to mention I don't think the Genesis is capable of doing that.

The return animation shouldn't be anything fancy. Sonic jumping from the bottom of the screen would work best honestly.

11. I like the idea of him coming down via some balloons. They can pop when he hits the ground and balloon sprites already exist in Sonic 3.

12. Miles3298

Miles3298

Characters retain their underwater speed when respawning out of it. It's possible to never have your current character even touch the water, but have the AI somehow end up in it. So, if you switch to an AI that ended up in the water, there's a chance you're not gonna be running fast any time soon. I'm at the start of Chemical Plant Zone act 2 and somehow wound up with all 3 slow characters...

13. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Ah, yes, thanks for reminding me of this. This is a bug in the original and in S3&K also, and I intended to fix it but ended up forgetting about it.

14. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    This, by far.

It would fit his character to give him the fastest return of the three.

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    If there is something wrong when it comes to restore characters' stats, it would probably affect speed shoes as well. Now that I think about that, I once happened to have a speed shoes'd AI Sonic even though speed shoes already ended by several seconds for the main character... When I experienced this bug I wasn't sure if it was relevant or not, because it was with one of the first revisions (0.02 I think) which were labeled as not perfect by flamweing himself, so I didn't report it, but I might as well do so now. Unconventional hacks often suffer of those stats issues (Sonic 2 XL comes to mind), mainly because the stats system wasn't coded in a very smart way by Sega themselves to begin with (speed shoes in water levels. 'nuff said) so it's very easy to mess it up.

16. flamewing

flamewing

France
    This was worse in revisions 0.01 and 0.02; I already went into great pains to get speed shoes, underwater and super stats to get correctly set, so that speed shoes have some effect when underwater. But the code Sega wrote is really, really dumb; I will have to fix that too. To make it work right I will have to split the timers from the character data -- not a problem in and off itself, as powerups are shared anyway, and I can use the space for other data that can reduce code duplication and hard-coding. Hm. Maybe consolidate speed stats, AI data and a few other data bits into a vtable of sorts and use the address to point to this extra object data.

And who says I consider the hack anywhere near perfect now? :-)

17. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Quick idea, though it may have been posted already, but is it possible to have it so if you die, and you have another character on screen at the time, that you switch to it? It was sort of done in Heroes, but the characters were more stunned or unable to move.

Another idea is to have bosses collision constant, but the time between hits are variable. I've died at Chemical Plant's boss a few times when I've jumped up to take a hit, but Sonic has hit before me, and I just fall Eggman and into the turned tile below me.

18. Miles3298

Miles3298

I believe this was brought up before the current revision release but I haven't seen this until now.

Tails's tails are in front of him. It looks like he's holding them.

[​IMG]

I'm not being a pest by simply only reporting bugs, am I?

Edit: Also, the AI still 'walk' towards you sometimes when they're spindashing, but I think this happens in Sonic 2 and 3 as well.
    Edit2: Objects you can break by jumping on them can be broken by standing on them while an AI is jumping.

19. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    No, you'd only be a pest by only making +1 posts and requesting that your cool new idea be implemented.

20. kazade

kazade

A 2D Physics Engine
    +1. I think we should have Shadow too.