don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. dsrb

dsrb

Thanks for the info. :)

But now that I look at it again, my post was even less clear than I thought. What I was mainly referring to was being able to do the double-jump actions at all from springs, ledges, etc.—curling or no curling— that is, from anything but a normal jump. This was confused by the fact that I referred to curling several times.

I don't hate the feature or anything so outlandish; in fact, it's pretty handy—but maybe that's my point (aside from it feeling unusual compared to the classics): the game is already made even easier than the original (again, I'm not specifically complaining about this!) by the ability to have a team, and making it a lot easier to use various moves just adds to this.

TL;DR baww I haet change. I figure you've already made your mind up about the above, and it's not the end of the world. Just letting the stream of consciousness flow here. :v:

2. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    So, after trying to play this with a friend for the hell of it, I had a thought. Is there a way to lock characters into the screen ala New Super Mario Bros Wii? Though, thinking about it, it's probably a fucking pain with Sonic's speed.

3. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    + - I meant removing the zeroes BEFORE you get the the highest place. Make it like it was for the Genesis games.  

4. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Maybe not for this hack, but would it be possible to have some sort of 3-player game - for if you stick 3 gamepads into 3 USB ports?

I was thinking along the lines of NSMB Wii (including when 1 character dies, it's not the end of the game until all 3 die. But I guess you'd need to make the levels a lot harder if it's to be challenging)

5. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    This already exists.

6. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    The hack can be played with 3 players; in emulators, you have to select a Team Player (in Regen, this either has to be done before loading the ROM, or you must perform a reset after) for either of the joypad ports. If you have real hardware and a Team Player (but NOT EA's 4 way play), you can use it too. Using the Team Player setup, I already have reports of successful 3-player netplays.

7. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Definately 3. It'd be good if currently in use character was highlighted in that way.

8. Deef

Deef

I agree about the ease but as you said, the game isn't a challenge anymore anyway. I prefer the final result S2H has. I'm also completely down with the idea that Tails and Knuckles should already be able to use their special moves anyway. If anything, they would both be more capable of flying/gliding when they're not spinning. Knuckles' fall-after-glide is a completely weird move to be honest.

I would like some kind of restriction in place because for Sonic, there's almost no reason to not insta-shield yourself back into a ball for any fall. I would like something that gives the player pros and cons.

I would also like to be able to ignore the shield move and just recurl first, but flamewing said he has tried and tested that and found it less intuitive, so fair enough.

Here's the idea I had in mind anyway - -
    · Tails and Knuckles: As is in S2H.
    · Sonic: Must be spinning before insta or shield move will work. He can be spinning from a jump, a roll off some terrain, or from re-curling.
    · Just Sonic, or all characters - Press down when in the air to re-curl. Hopefully has a rolling feel to it. The restriction is that it loses horizontal control like a rolling jump. It also only allows full height rebounds like a rolling fall (you wouldn't be holding jump anyway). Consequential double-jump moves return the horizontal control and rebound control. Perhaps only Sonic because he's a hedgehog and curling is what he does. Or perhaps all 3 characters, for control consistency.

It's just what I had in mind anyway. Not asking if this can be implemented.

9. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Wow, cool! That's great news to hear! (I was more asking about this for other people on here, as I don't have other friends who are Sonic fans to play this with)

It's probably been said before (I don't really want to start looking through 60 pages for the answer), but what if we made a completely new Sonic game designed around these new abilities? I'm not suggesting doing it ala Project: Sonic Retro, but just make new levels with the available tilesets - and perhaps make some new level 'gimmicks' to keep things fresh.

I was just still thinking along the lines of NSMB Wii

10. flamewing

flamewing

France

Shows hyper stars and super flickies (fully functional throughout the whole games) for Team Hyper, the new HUD design (still need to put the new font for the lives counter), and the parachuting turtles. You can also see Amy and the Tornado in action, instead of still images.

Team Hyper is clearly overpowered. Team Super already is, but Team Hyper doesn't compare -- I am not even showing the kill all badniks effect from the hyper launch or from Knuckles' glide-> hit wall! I am thinking of having both teams being a time trial mode -- lose all rings and die -- with the player losing 5 rings each time he is hit (gathering all emeralds would work as normal, it is only when Team Super or Team Hyper are chosen that would work this way).

I am also pondering if I should port Hyper Sonic's multicolor palette rotation and the afterimages. Things are already too flashy as is, without needing more...

11. Flare

Flare

I love the parachuting turtles - the fact they don't just appear like they are parachuting from destruction, but that it starts to fall and opens it up. I love it, these little details.

As for the palette; I'd have the colours rotate as it is a staple of Hyper Sonic, but not the after images, too much I do agree.

12. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I know this wouldn't be accurate to the games but a neat idea would be that the hyper forms flash in the team colours.

13. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Personally I'm happy enough with Sonic having the Flash Jump as Super Sonic, and leaving it at that. Personally I've never been a fan of Hyper forms... Besides... what are you gonna do for Tails... Hyper Tails? And Sonic's Hyper form is the only one that looks different anyway, due to his seizure inducing flash fur... (Not counting after images, while they were a nice touch, they just wouldn't work in this hack IMO)

14. Deef

Deef

The new lives HUD looks very good and smooth. Nice little retro 3D effect going there of them sliding around each other. Having seen it in action I now prefer it over the triangle method, but both are good.

The turtles are an excellent touch too, no question.
    Glad to see less clutter in the top HUD, a little unsettled by the un-justified ring icon, but no biggee.
    Hyper Sonic is gonna be doing 1 double jump over the entirety of Green Hill.

One request, don't know if it has been mentioned. The homing shield's "particles" were another great touch, but what about the colour now? Since it is historically a gold shield. Would you/have you consider/ed using one of Tails' oranges? Or are we all used to the blue now heh.

15. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Repeating what everyone else has said, those turtle parachutes are beautifully done.

In regards to team hyper, I am the sort of player that likes to play a game with overpowered characters if you have earned them. Therefore I propose that you have to get the 7 chaos emeralds to become super (and unlock team super) and then as a play through as team super you have to get the 7 again to become team hyper (and unlock team hyper). That way you don't necessarily have to have a time trial mode.

Just my opinion and you can feel free to ignore it and stick to what you originally planned.

All in all I support this hack full force.

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    If we MUST have Team Hyper... Why not incorporate 2 sets of emeralds much in the same fashion that ColinC did for Sonic 1 & 2 (Now that Sonic Classic Heroes is merging with this project...)
    The first set can reward you with Team Super, while the 2nd set can reward you with Team Hyper... but THIS TIME, you can only go after the 1st set on the South Island zones, and the 2nd set in the Westside Island zones.

And before anyone reminds me that Sonic 1 has 6 emeralds... I am aware... BUT:
    A. That hasn't stopped other hacks and/or fangames... Megamix comes to mind...
    B. Perhaps defeating Dr. Eggman at the end of Scrap Brain can reward you with a 7th emerald? (Other games have done this, would be a nice touch...)

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    This is more-or-less what I was intending -- either set gives Super, both sets gives Hyper. Team Sonic and Team Hyper (that is, the teams that start in these forms) can't collect emeralds, but Team Super (or Team Sonic in Super mode) can grab S monitors (which replace invincibility monitors) to turn into Hyper form.

Edit: I also thought of adding a seventh Sonic 1 emerald, maybe as part of a new S1 special stage, maybe in a level.

18. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    It completely slipped my mind that this project is combining Sonic 1 & 2. Purely awesome and I love your idea for the emeralds and super forms.

I love this hack and I can't wait to play the next version :)

19. dsrb

dsrb

I'm not sure about this. It would be good to be able to play as Hyper in S1, if only for the laughs; the zones are very small relative to their power, as Deef noted. Is the same system as S1&2 being kept in place?

Just for cosmetics? If they can go Hyper with six, why include a seventh just for the sake of it?

I support adding a seventh and requiring that for transformation, with either set being OK for Super and both types of Chaos Emerald being available throughout both (sub-)games.

20. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I was taking a look at the Eggrobo code for other reasons, and found out what caused this bug: the only case where it happens is when you hit the torso first, then rebounded onto the head, as hitting the head clears the collision from the torso. As it turns out, it was trivial to fix; next revision won't have this bug.