don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    The biggest thing about the sound (And no, I'm not excusing them or anything) is that this is a portable Nintendo system. That means:

1)The speakers suck
    2)It a PORTABLE game. When you're on a train, in class, or whatever, are you going to be blarring this? Nope.

Again, not to excuse it, but you're asking for to much, people.

2. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

& Knuckles Member
    <!--quoteo(post=422667:date=Mar 9 2010, 05:17 PM:name=Kiddo Cabbusses)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kiddo Cabbusses @ Mar 9 2010, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422667">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No one here's gonna be happy with any "collection" unless it's either that, or Sega suddenly getting around to adding Chaotix, SegaSonic arcade, Tails and the Music Maker, Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld, Sonic Pocket Adventure,, The Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast, Waku Waku Sonikku Patooka, and every prototype ever.

So it's just nice to see that it isn't a complete fucking abomination.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See, there's a problem with this. I can guarantee that most people will say that Sonic Jam (A collection, obviously) and Sonic Mega Collection (I seriously have no problems with that one either) are in fact good collections of Sonic games that people are happy with. I am one of those. I'd even go so far as to say that Megadrive collection for the PSP wasn't too bad either, with it's 2P mode working through ther wireless (iirc). And yes, it's not a Sonic Collection but a Megadrive Collection, but the games run really well and it's a collection I like.

Anyway, the problem with Classic Collection is obvious from the start. Little to no effort has been put in and the minor complaints people are too often and occur too many times to be simply shrugged off. Things like the camera going erratic because I used a spindash, unreadable text and not being able to pause with the start button are just plain stupid. These shouldn't exist.

I apologise for the ranting but to sum it up, I still think Sega couldn't have done better. And I'm sure they know that.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    <!--quoteo(post=422350:date=Mar 8 2010, 08:33 PM:name=Badnik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Badnik @ Mar 8 2010, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422350">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=422344:date=Mar 8 2010, 03:13 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Mar 8 2010, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422344">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it's a regular DS game, it should run on any DS without issues, even if it's DSi enhanced - it's only the download games that are locked to a region. Also, New Zealand counts as the PAL region - sounds to me like you got a duff cart =/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The carts are locked out, too. I went back to the game store and they let me borrow a US DSi to check, and it boots up just fine. I was going to get a US one eventually anyway, so no big deal. But a word of warning to anyone importing who only has a DSi.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=422490:date=Mar 9 2010, 02:52 AM:name=Covarr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Covarr @ Mar 9 2010, 02:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422490">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Somebody at GBATemp had this to say:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought a retail copy and played it on a DS Lite and my DSi. I noticed that not only is the cartridge marked with 'TWL' instead of 'NTR,' but I noticed some small but significant performance improvements. If anything, they used the DSi SDK to make it so the games perform better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Assuming he's telling the truth and didn't imagine it, that answers that question.
    So in other words, the NZ game will work on any DS/DS Lite, but will only work on an American DSi? WOW. That really takes retarded region locking to a new level, doing it in a fucking HANDHELD. Also, since when has NZ been considered in the US region? Fucking HELL, Nintendo.

I'm glad I DID get that Lite over the DSi, now.

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'd normally agree with people saying, "Stop whining, it's not terrible." However, considering the quality of Stealth's GBA port, you'd think the guys at SEGA could've done something of that quality instead of the "game" we got. Since the DS has more power than the GBA, I expect either a more accurate port, or a more accurate emulation. As far as I can tell, it's worse (than Stealth's port).

5. Wale

Wale

The only thing I'm worried about are the special stages in S3K port. I heard they're unplayable for the most part, and it would suck to play the whole game without the real ending. However, it is under my opinion that the other complaints about this game are just minor.

6. Badnik

Badnik

<!--quoteo(post=422743:date=Mar 9 2010, 03:23 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Mar 9 2010, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422743">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So in other words, the NZ game will work on any DS/DS Lite, but will only work on an American DSi? WOW. That really takes retarded region locking to a new level, doing it in a fucking HANDHELD. Also, since when has NZ been considered in the US region? Fucking HELL, Nintendo.

I'm glad I DID get that Lite over the DSi, now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think something got miscommunicated. A NZ copy of SCC will play in any DS/DS Lite or a DSi from whatever region NZ is but not on a DSi from any other region. I don't know how Nintendo classifies regions outside of Europe, the US, and Japan. I assume it's the same as Australia but I don't know for sure. It is completely boneheaded. The reasoning Nintendo gave for these lockouts is that they want to conform with each regions ratings classifications and internet standards. (which is why I'm guessing Australia would classify as it's own region, because they have very strict ratings)

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

<!--quoteo(post=422743:date=Mar 9 2010, 08:23 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Mar 9 2010, 08:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422743">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=422350:date=Mar 8 2010, 08:33 PM:name=Badnik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Badnik @ Mar 8 2010, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422350">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=422344:date=Mar 8 2010, 03:13 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Mar 8 2010, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422344">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it's a regular DS game, it should run on any DS without issues, even if it's DSi enhanced - it's only the download games that are locked to a region. Also, New Zealand counts as the PAL region - sounds to me like you got a duff cart =/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The carts are locked out, too. I went back to the game store and they let me borrow a US DSi to check, and it boots up just fine. I was going to get a US one eventually anyway, so no big deal. But a word of warning to anyone importing who only has a DSi.

<!--quoteo(post=422490:date=Mar 9 2010, 02:52 AM:name=Covarr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Covarr @ Mar 9 2010, 02:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422490">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Somebody at GBATemp had this to say:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought a retail copy and played it on a DS Lite and my DSi. I noticed that not only is the cartridge marked with 'TWL' instead of 'NTR,' but I noticed some small but significant performance improvements. If anything, they used the DSi SDK to make it so the games perform better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Assuming he's telling the truth and didn't imagine it, that answers that question.
    So in other words, the NZ game will work on any DS/DS Lite, but will only work on an American DSi? WOW. That really takes retarded region locking to a new level, doing it in a fucking HANDHELD. Also, since when has NZ been considered in the US region? Fucking HELL, Nintendo.

I'm glad I DID get that Lite over the DSi, now.
    TWL and NTR refer to the model, not region. Right? So what does it have to do with anything except the DSi running the games a little better?

8. Badnik

Badnik

<!--quoteo(post=422879:date=Mar 9 2010, 07:16 PM:name=Blue Blood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blue Blood @ Mar 9 2010, 07:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422879">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TWL and NTR refer to the model, not region. Right? So what does it have to do with anything except the DSi running the games a little better?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NTR= DS games.
    TWL= DSi games or DS games that are enhanced for DSi.

If your games are from the same country as your DSi, then no worries. It's only a problem if you own a DSi and import DS games (or if you are a nitwit like me who impulsively buys foreign consoles). I think there has only been one game published that can only be played on DSi.

9. <!--quoteo(post=422739:date=Mar 9 2010, 03:16 PM:name=D.A. Garden)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (D.A. Garden @ Mar 9 2010, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422739">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->See, there's a problem with this. I can guarantee that most people will say that Sonic Jam (A collection, obviously) and Sonic Mega Collection (I seriously have no problems with that one either) are in fact good collections of Sonic games that people are happy with. I am one of those. I'd even go so far as to say that Megadrive collection for the PSP wasn't too bad either, with it's 2P mode working through ther wireless (iirc). And yes, it's not a Sonic Collection but a Megadrive Collection, but the games run really well and it's a collection I like.

Anyway, the problem with Classic Collection is obvious from the start. Little to no effort has been put in and the minor complaints people are too often and occur too many times to be simply shrugged off. Things like the camera going erratic because I used a spindash, unreadable text and not being able to pause with the start button are just plain stupid. These shouldn't exist.

I apologise for the ranting but to sum it up, I still think Sega couldn't have done better. And I'm sure they know that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I recalled liking Sonic Jam more for it's extras than the quality of the ports themselves. In them the sound porting was kinda messed up due to the devvers working with CDDA-converted music rather than the original sound - so sped-up songs and the like suffered on there just as they did with this current one. I also recall that anyone who actually played the actual game portions of Jam tended to note various minor level design differences (usually missing rings, if I remember correctly.)

I have Mega Collection and I do think the emulation on that is rather fine, besides how the synthesized sound sample in Sky Sanctuary doesn't sound "right". For calling out an emulatied collection that -sucked-, Sega Smash Pack for Dreamcast; Sonic 1 had crappy sound and pallete glitches in Labyrinth Zone, and slowdown was -frequent-. Unfortunately the homebrew Genesis emulator that's otherwise better than Smash Pack can't boot Sonic 1 for some dangfangled reason (very strangely, 2 and 3/k boot fine.)

Anyway, if we really want to know how much "Effort" was put into this, shouldn't we ask "Stephan Dittrich", JenesisDS programmer? He's listed in the credits.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    <!--quoteo(post=422780:date=Mar 9 2010, 09:46 PM:name=Badnik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Badnik @ Mar 9 2010, 09:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422780">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=422743:date=Mar 9 2010, 03:23 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Mar 9 2010, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422743">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So in other words, the NZ game will work on any DS/DS Lite, but will only work on an American DSi? WOW. That really takes retarded region locking to a new level, doing it in a fucking HANDHELD. Also, since when has NZ been considered in the US region? Fucking HELL, Nintendo.

I'm glad I DID get that Lite over the DSi, now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think something got miscommunicated. A NZ copy of SCC will play in any DS/DS Lite or a DSi from whatever region NZ is but not on a DSi from any other region. I don't know how Nintendo classifies regions outside of Europe, the US, and Japan. I assume it's the same as Australia but I don't know for sure. It is completely boneheaded. The reasoning Nintendo gave for these lockouts is that they want to conform with each regions ratings classifications and internet standards. (which is why I'm guessing Australia would classify as it's own region, because they have very strict ratings)
    This is what I'm saying - apparently NZ classes as the US region, according to his playtest, assuming I'm reading it right. Considering NZ is a PAL region, this is extremely lame. Also, that reasoning is bullshit and they know it - PS3 is region free, DS managed fine being region free, etc. It's just Nintendo artificially pulling the market apart for maximum price gouging, like they've done for decades on home systems.

<!--quoteo(post=422879:date=Mar 10 2010, 12:16 AM:name=Blue Blood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blue Blood @ Mar 10 2010, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=422879">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TWL and NTR refer to the model, not region. Right? So what does it have to do with anything except the DSi running the games a little better?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nothing, that's the point. Except DSi has region locking where DS doesn't.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm missing something... Where did the notion that the DSi treats NZ the same as America come from?

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

A green crystal Member
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bet the Sonic Jam music they directly ripped from the CD takes up more than half the space of the whole compilation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If 46mb (the real size of the data there)/2 was 560kb you would be right.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would have supported this compilation had the emulation been at least as imperfect as in Gens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With all the optimisations possible, Gens runing on that shitty ARM processors would do half of what JenesisDS does already.

Now, I bought an AK2i only to play this after I checked the price, our money devalued a bit so it's cheaper in US$, *only* $66, and of course, that price is only valid for online purchases =P. My new card arrives tomorrow, I'm so anxious now :3.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

[​IMG]
    That's really looking rather nice. I thought the tin was something to put your DS in, not a big thing like that.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    <!--quoteo(post=423317:date=Mar 10 2010, 10:51 PM:name=Blue Blood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blue Blood @ Mar 10 2010, 10:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=423317">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm missing something... Where did the notion that the DSi treats NZ the same as America come from?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My DSi is a Japanese model, impulsivelly bought at launch. And DSi games are region locked<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Having said this, I've just realised that he said he bought it, he didn;t say from WHERE. I assumed he meant the NZ release - if it was the American one, it all makes sense, albiet Nintendo is still retarded for having region-locked cards on a FUCKING HANDHELD.

Mighty Ape says my copy has shipped, btw, so expect more boxed shots like the above at some point.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Same. Mine was shipped the other day as well. 6 to 10 days estimated delivery will be painful though.

And I'd say it was the American one, cause it's not out in Aus, NZ and Europe until the 12th.

16. Impish

Impish

Wait a second. I live in new zealand!!! I should buy that game some time.

17. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

& Knuckles Member
    I went into Game today and seeing as it was release day here for it, had a quick read of the box.
    It says "This game will only work on European/Australian region DSi units" under the disclaimers and such, leading me to believe that this sort of confirms the DSi enhancements or whatever.
    Strange as to how Nintendo have grouped Australian and European into the same region though, I thought.

EDIT: I know it works on the standard DS and lite as well, but to have that on the box might be seen as misleading. Or maybe that's just me.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

<!--quoteo(post=424220:date=Mar 12 2010, 04:44 PM:name=D.A. Garden)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (D.A. Garden @ Mar 12 2010, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424220">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I went into Game today and seeing as it was release day here for it, had a quick read of the box.
    It says "This game will only work on European/Australian region DSi units" under the disclaimers and such, leading me to believe that this sort of confirms the DSi enhancements or whatever.
    Strange as to how Nintendo have grouped Australian and European into the same region though, I thought.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    FUCKING YES! As a matter of fact, as Overlord said, Aus and Europe are usually regarded as the same region on a whole bunch of things. I'm just happy to have it confirmed that I can play this on my DSi rather than just my Lite. Getting used to the smaller screens is a difficult thing to do.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    <!--quoteo(post=424220:date=Mar 12 2010, 04:44 PM:name=D.A. Garden)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (D.A. Garden @ Mar 12 2010, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424220">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I went into Game today and seeing as it was release day here for it, had a quick read of the box.
    Strange as to how Nintendo have grouped Australian and European into the same region though, I thought..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nah, everyone's done that for years. Oz using the PAL TV standard and being such a small market in terms of numbers means it's easier to just treat them as part of Europe - albiet on the other side of the planet, meaning historically there's usually a delay in releasing titles even on top of the delay for Europe.

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

A green crystal Member
    Well, I got an AK2i, I was used to play it on No$GBA, well, the experience is completely different. WTF is wrong with Angel Island? There ISN'T a place of it that laggy. Marble Garden runs fine though. O>O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.