don't click here

Sonic Classic Collection

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Give it a shot. If you don't like it or if it is not satisfactory to your needs, just send it back. :eng101:

2. HighCaliburFun

HighCaliburFun

I gotta juice! Member
    USA
    I pre-ordered my copy and I love it. Its by no means perfect, but Sega definitely did a lot better job on this then I was expecting.

By the way: is there any truth to the supposed unlock-able titles in this? GameFAQs and other sites are reporting unlock-able Game Gear games. I haven't played enough yet to find out.

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I just got done playing Sonic and Knuckles, and the Sonic 3 Mini-boss theme played when I made it to the first mini-boss. >.< And the cheats don't work, you hear the ring sound but you can't press "A+Start" because the start button apparently does nothing. And in the special stage, the scrolling is off and it messed me up. D: If I had to rate this game, I'd give it a 5/10. Lets look at the pros: It's portable Sonic, and better (way better) than Sonic GBA, the sprites look decent, and I actually like the drum samples they used. And now for the Cons: The music, as I stated before they used the wrong Mini-boss theme for Sonic and Knuckles, if this is supposed to be the same game I've been playing since I was a kid then don't replace the Mini-boss theme with the Sonic 3 one. The camera, especially in Sonic3k, sucks. It lags horribly, and because of that the special stages look like shit and this makes them difficult. (And I think S3K's Special Stages are easy! D:), lack of cheats/soundtest. If I'm not playing the game most of the time I'm listening to the music. You can't do that with this collection. The collection is lacking some necessary games that could have been added, and that are classics. Sonic 3D should have made it, and so should have Blue Spheres. (Not to sure about Sonic CD though, CD audio and PCM audio packed in with the game, which already has Sonic 1- S3K on it, doesn't sound like it would fit unless they got rid of the extras. BTW that would be so awesome if Sonic CD was ported to the DS and with the option of which OST you want.) The additional artwork is another con, seriously I think Sega keeps overdoing this with each of their Sonic collections. Most Sonic fans have already seen the artwork, and most just want to play the games. They just look over the extras. I still want to get the game, since I don't own a Nomad, but I'm 50/50 with this game.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    By the sounds of it, looks like it would be a better idea to get one of those tiny portable Mega Drives... How sad.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    It's not the same game.

It's better.

6. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    But what about this little doodad here?
    [​IMG]

7. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Those things are rather rare in the UK, and even then you need to find one with a working screen, buttons and a non broken speaker.

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    My Nomad was the shit, it was my first Genesis.

Then I got a real Genesis and was dumb enough to sell the Nomad to a friend who lost it. Same friend who left a comic book I was working on out in the rain. I'm pretty sure I was one of the few middle schoolers with some sense of responsibility.

I'll probably pick this up when I get Pokemon HeartGold.

9. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    woah woah woah! no way son. My nephew has one with sonic spinball and s&k included among other games and the sound emulation is shite, good enough but so bad if you are use to the correct sounds. Plus it's £30 for just those two sonic games and a bunch of others hardly anyone plays.

Oh and the screen on those little knock up portables has a lot of ghosting.

10. xcliber

xcliber

I'm getting an incredible amount of lag. I'm really hoping it's just because I'm using a shitty flashcard. But either way, I'm not impressed. I can play all of these games, lag free, on my PSP with nothing cut out. I'll be deleting this one.

I sorta like what they did with the camera by making it pan left and right in boss fights, but I wish they would've done the same vertically to avoid distorting the picture.

11. Start doesn't pause, but it still works for selecting stuff (I.e. you can start a game with it). Sonic 1's cheats do work, just use Y + Start instead of A + Start. Apparently they thought that the "Y B A" sequence resembled the original "A B C" better, so yeah, Y acts as MD/Genesis A.

12. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Wanted one of those too. Local Retro Game Store (Toy Box And Treasures) Doesn't have it.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    This... Sonic and Knuckles using the S3 midboss music... is it only applicable for MHZ or is every midboss hit with it? And what of Knuckles' fight? Because I see no problem here with the better midboss music getting more exposure.

14. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I would agree with you on this except for 2 small problems.
    1) The battery life is hardly sufficient for the Nomad to be used as an actual portable Megadrive, even though that is it's intention. Unless you have a bag full of batteries with you, you're gonna get a bit over an hour at most with the battery pack.
    2) Running Sonic 3 and Knuckles on the Nomad can be a pain, as the slightest jolt will knock the Nomad as well as both cartridges inserted which usually resets in the game freezing.

Anyway, back on topic. Seeing as the only reason I was even considering getting Classic Collection was for Sonic 3 and Knuckles portable and there isn't really a decent alternate method (apart from PSP, but I don't have one), then I'm left with Classic Collection. And I'd rather avoid it as stated before for numerous reasons.

15. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Ridiculous game credits! >:

16. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

lol wut? That is amazing.

17. Tobibrocki

Tobibrocki

Thats fake, lOst, that HAS to be fake! LOL XD

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Sega is re-re-re-re-re-rereleasing games, and basically credits every single people in every country division of Sega for it. It is ridiculous.

19. I'm going to veer even more offtopic. Very soon, I am getting two modifications done to my Nomad by a gent who does this for people. First one will be a screen replacement which is supposed to be similar in brightness to a phat DS, and it'll also be in a higher resolution (300Xsomething or another, I'd have to look it up) No motion blur, not even on Sonic games. Second mod will be my battery pack being replaced with a Lithium Ion 2200 mhA battery. With the lower power consumption screen and a new, fully charged modded battery, this thing will supposedly last 8 1/2 hours.

That's incredible.

20. GameboyHero

GameboyHero

The amount of bullshit he has to deal with...poor Member
    TX
    Granted, each country aside from the main few are pretty small.

On note, there happen to be a few sprites taken from 3D Blast and Spinball in the credits. :v:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.