don't click here

Sonic CD's Mysterious Cut R2 Level Discussion - Post Origins Edition

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It genuinely worries me that any of you are giving that mock-up the time of day.

2. Fadaway

Fadaway

Not time of day contemplating its veracity; just an interesting aesthetic for the cut zone fan interpretation. It doesn't look like most of the fan creations I've seen. The ground tiles are blocky like Marble Zone's tiles, but have a nice look (in my own opinion). Yet are very simplistic at this stage. I can see this being a good take on the level if fully realised with a wider array of tiles and additional shading. The background looks all kinds of fucked up, though. Although, having roots in the background is a nice touch but looks very off.

Would love to know who threw this together and if any of the tiles can be recognised from somewhere.

Having said that, I'd recommend this thread get back to the main topic instead of worrying much about this image.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2023
  3. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    It amuses me that there is genuine curiosity over a half-assed mock up considering the events that lead to it.

4. Astro

Astro

As far as fan concepts go (and the relative implosion of them since the Dubious Depths name was revealed), these Past/Bad Future mixes from a few days ago are pretty great in my opinion:

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    ...do you mean explosion? Implosion is a very different thing...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Astro

Astro

... Probably, lol. It's some sort of 'plosion at least!

7. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member

That's right, I stand corrected (though I still think you could be sent to different pasts)

8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    at risk of derailing the topic, yes, finally, Wood Zone is fucking ugly and I 100% understand why they excised it. Hidden Palace was on a similar level of being early but didn't look like something inserted via ROMhack in 1995.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. Just having fun with it, nothing wrong with that :)

I know it's fake. My point was, I think a real screen of R2 would look unfinished, like sparkling zone, wood zone. That's why it's pretty neat, even if the execution is shoddy rather than intentional. But I'm just giving the fakers tips here haha

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Fadaway

Fadaway

It has since resurrected and comes up as a legit page and comments are back. Hmmmm.

11. TopBull

TopBull

I always noticed that the second background of metallic madness good future somewhat resembles what could've been the background of Dubious Depths present. Won't you look at it? It reminds me of how R2 was shown at the end of the game, as there are still stuff like blue structures. Did anybody else realize this before?

tumblr_ophh8fVA391w7gbv5o8_r1_400.gif

12. Jucei

Jucei

Never thought of that, because it doesn't resemble much of a forest to me, as shown through the Origins' Little Planet concept art.. Perhaps some kind of Future?

13. TopBull

TopBull

In my opinion I think it better suits the Present.

14. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I’ll be honest I don’t see it, the way the buildings are shaded make it clear they are metallic reflections which fit well with a good future metalish city of nature coexisting with modernity.
    If they were flatter in that context I’d be a bit more convinced but I think that backgrounds fits metallic madness.

15. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Running Up That Green Hill Member
    I made a compilation of music from Ridicule Root | Dubious Depths. It includes the main theme of Round 2, remixed compositions which sample / contain parts of R2-D2 and 3 bonus tracks.
    If you want to see how Vector The Crocodile listens to that music, then this video is for you!

16. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  17. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    There could be an inspiration somewhere, but I highly doubt this wasn't made specifically for Metallic Madness -- not only because of how Majin described the level were made, but also because Metallic Madness has towers resembling these in the bad future too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    How far into production does a level need to be when they start making mechs for it?

It's just a curious thought, but it got far enough for enemies and a boss to be sprited for it...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Since badnik designers and stage designers usually work on different schedules having badniks ready doesn't mean the pixel art was fully digitized. All you need is the stage theme to be set and some concept art sketches.

20. Daggett

Daggett

Sonic Stream's R2 Good Future connections have been discussed at length now, but there's an extra bit that nobody has pointed out (starting at 1:08):

The electric warble effect + the electric flute melody seem to have a correlation to the bird sound effects from R2 Present.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List