don't click here

Sonic CD PC Editors

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 19, 2011.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Oooh, how interesting, I'm starting to consider hacking Sonic CD PC now.

A quick question, as it's the PC version, I would assume that it has the ability to display sprites with more colours and/or more bits of colour data, so, is it possible to use any and/or all colours of all of those lines in one sprite rather than the Mega Drive's VDP limit of one line per sprite/tile-map? And can a colour in the palette be set to something the Mega Drive's VDP cannot process, for example colour EF 24 39 instead of it being aligned to E0 20 20 (E22)?

Sorry if these answers are easily answered through using the tool, but I don't have much time currently to download and check it out.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    All tiles and sprites are still 4 bits-per-pixel (16 colors), however you are not restricted to a 16-color boundary for a sprite, it can start at any color you want. As for palettes, it uses 24-bit RGB colors.
    This is pretty much the exact opposite of Sonic & Knuckles Collection, which uses all the original data formats and emulates the VDP.

4. I think I might use this to put the ashura sprite glitch from sonic 2 in sonic cd .

5. This makes me want to bust out my Sonic CD PC install disc once more. Which really, I don't know why it isn't installed on my computer at all times anyway.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    And now, a tile editor:
    [​IMG]
    SCDPCscr

I'm not sure how much use it has, given that SonLVL should be used to edit tiles for levels, and other tile files likely have extra mapping files that should be used along with them.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    [​IMG]
    SCDPCSSEd, includes palettes for each stage. Don't feel like making a wiki article right now.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Dear god, man, you're a machine! Very nice work =P

9. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Those special stage tiles make me think they'd work well in a racing game. Anyways good stuff with the editors! Never did have the PC version, but this interests me greatly.