don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I think you guys are somewhat underplaying SCD's level design, in this case. Sure, it's not as supreme as S3K's by any means, but the level design and gameplay are nowhere near bad to me. The levels can be somewhat labyrinthine, and somewhat more counter-intuitive like said, but I think that's what makes the platforming, exploration and momentum gaining aspect to it all the more rewarding.

I can see where S3K's level layouts makes it the superior, but at times I find SCD more fun, probably because it's length makes it more pick-up-and-playable.

2. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I would rather play Sonic CD than the "and Knuckles" part of S3K, simply because the latter looks so drab and dreary (apart from Sky Sanctuary).

3. Machenstein

Machenstein

You mean the diagonal springs, pinball flippers and Spin Dash? Those I admit could have used more polish. Everything else was just fine though. Sonic still controls and maneuvers the same way he did in the Genesis games, down to the rolling physics and the sense of gravity you get from rebounding off of enemies. I don't see how the gameplay is much more inferior to the Genesis games.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Yeah Cd always gave me that unfinished game feeling.
    although its still one of my favs....
    hope that it gets a little bit more programmer loven with this port.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    "You guys will just have to wait and see. :) By the way, we got this awesome chocolate cake in the office..."

Same stance as here, except Retro doesn't have chocolate cake. :(

6. Retroman

Retroman

So what's so different about this one? Isn't it going to be like the other shitty ports of Mega Collection or whatever? Since, you know, Sega re-releases this shit (It isn't shit, it is part of my childhood memory) over 4 times, so they better give an improvement to it whether it's a different engine (S3&K) or just added soundtracks, hidden items and stuff...

But hey, at-least you are paying for one classic game that is cheap and is a quality port, amiright?
    right? :ohdear:

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    For those of you worrying about Backbone, all I'm going to tell you is this: You have nothing to worry about, and this will be worth every penny. :ssh:

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    How do you know this, and what will make this worth "every penny?"

Answers, I would like them

Now wouldn't it be cool if they went all out, made the game widescreen, fixed the looping, and let you pick which soundtrack you wanted to listen to? Shouldn't get ahead of myself though <<

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Man, I disagree with everyone who talks about Sonic CD not playing well so goddamn hard. I think Sonic CD's level design is genius. I think the people who say the levels feel disjointed just don't know how to properly utilize the entire environment - Sonic CD's levels are like large sandboxes for you to play in. It's less of a directed style of gameplay, and more a large series of obstacles which you can utilize to put together great runs through the level.

Throw in the fact that the 4 time periods actually had significant differences if you know how to use every piece of land, and Sonic CD is by far the ultimate 2D sonic game.

Every bit of the game, from the graphics, to the music, to the atmosphere, to the visual theme, to even the level design is top notch in Sonic CD. It says something that every single time I play Sonic CD, without fail, I play the levels differently, is testament to how great of a game it is.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?complete=0&docid=-3387541753690166289

That video right there says better than words why I adore the level design of Sonic CD. Magnificent game from top to bottom. Without a doubt my favorite Sonic game.

10. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Fixed. SCD remains my favorite sonic game of all time. They need to introduce the super peelout to modern sonic, srsly.

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    If the taxman is involved like some people are hinting at (I don't think it's too far fetched considering it's him), we can all expect one of the best ports of any Sonic game. Ever.

Seriously.

12. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I really wanted to know what the hell you guys are hiding so I flew through the Internet like Neo:

Dodge that.

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I think everyone is just afraid to say it. Like we're all tempering our expectations.

But in the back of our minds we're hoping definitive port of Sonic CD with selectable music, true 16:9 aspect ratio, true alpha blending detection for stipple shading, etc. Something that would raise the bar for 16-bit ports for a long, long time. Basically 1-upping Megaman 9.

14. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I would tell you more, but I can't. I just know people. :ssh:

15. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    I'm not familiar with Taxman and his works (blasphemy?), but it's good to know Backbone won't be porting this.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    All I hope is that you can save your shit like in the backbone stuff.

Too many people (Y'know the people) would bitch otherwise that the game is too hard or something...OR SOMETHING.

17. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Well, you'd be able to save in SCD no doubt. The original game had a save feature.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You can make a savestate anywhere you want in the backbone ports. Like in the middle of a level and come back later for instance.

19. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Oh, really? I haven't played the Sonic ports, only Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Symphony of the Night. Yeah, they should definitely include something like that, even Nintendo has them in their virtual console (which are even better on 3DS).

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    STOP TEASING ME!!! :( :( :(