don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    There's nothing wrong with the S3&K sprites. They worked in Stealth's hack and Sonic 2 while the Chaotix sprites don't. The art style of Chaotix is so far from the 16bit titles that I don't get how any of you could say that those Knuckles sprites are closer matching to Sonic CD than the original ones.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Chaotix Knux would likely be harder to implement since it lacks even the basic sprites for the Genesis titles like pushing and hovering. It at least has the base sprites for special stage which are near exact in style to CD (as shown by Sonic in Chaotix which uses the sprites from the game) but even then it's lacking neccessary animations.

I suppose the angle sprites for Knuckles in Sonic 3 would make certain animations (like in Palmtree Panic) a bit easier.

3. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I know that. I was just saying it's not just a matter of taking his Chaotix sprites and pasting them in Sonic CD.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    No, the sprites are cleary Sonic 1 style! They used Sonic 1 sprite for Mighty and they were even using Sonic 1 sprites for Sonic. It matched the game pretty well. The things that differ more are the zone assets. Recoloring Chaotix sprites would work well.

Also compare metal Sonic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chaotix is very Similar to CD.

Also he has Special Stage sprites, except for the facing camera ones:

[​IMG]

5. Machenstein

Machenstein

Since no one apparently saw it in the other Sonic CD thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How do I fix this?

6. Truner

Truner

I have the exact same problems with the game.
    The Taxman logo also cuts like that. And there are lots of "texture" problems like that throughout the game. Mostly in menus. I play it on a Notebook, that might be a problem.

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand

Put it this way if Robotnik's sprites were replaced with the ones from Chaotix, he would clash with the rest of the game. You can see how different the style is by looking at these sets.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Chaotix sprites are more in line with Ristar, both are extremely over saturated and have different shading.

[​IMG][​IMG]

That's not to say that Sonic CD doesn't have any levels that are pushing it towards Chaotix. Luckily the designers didn't cross the line too much because the shading still had the nice sharp edges.

[​IMG]

But if we put both sprites in a Sonic CD level, the Chaotix ones clash the most. Even if it was recoloured, the shading and blending of the colours is too different from the Sonic CD art.

[​IMG][​IMG]

While the sprites from S3&K ain't perfect, they are more matching to the style of CD than the one's from Chaotix.

8. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I don't think the character sprites match Sonic 1 so much as Mighty's sprites (which are just edits of Sonic's from an earlier version) clash with the rest of the cast and the game he's in.

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

S3 Knuckles seems a better choice, due to more conventional style and larger amount of sprites. You could probably use Chaotix's SS sprites either way due to the Special Stage's style change (Sonic's SS ones fit with Chaotix fine).

Third option is for someone to make a new S1 styled Knuckles sheet from scratch. :P

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Comparing the equivalent frames would help better:
    [​IMG]
    (Just got those from some sprite sheet, no idea if there's anything missing)

The Chaotix sprites are a direct evolution of the Sonic CD sprites, due to the smaller palette restrictions. This one wouldn't fit much into Sonic CD, indeed, as he looks almost CG.

I must disagree with this one. Unlike the Eggman above, Knuckles doesn't look like it abuses shading as much even compared to S3&K's, so he doesn't look so out of place.
    [​IMG]

In fact... Isn't the Chaotix sprite precisely using that unused pink/green palette from Crackers, which he might have been supposed to share with Vector?

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    That's how I see Knuckles sprites and artwork in general. All the shading is completely different in my eyes compared to the originals.

Eh? I agree the shading is not as bad as Eggman but are you also saying that they're better than the S3&K sprites?

Don't know I got that sprite from that sprite sheet earlier in this thread.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They would fit better (in my oppinion) after, perhaps, toning down the shading just a little. In this case, it's S3&K's sprite the one that shows a more CG-ish style.

Oh, I don't mean in that specific sprite sheet, I mean in the actual game.

13. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    I'd love to see Knuckles in SCD, and yes S3&K's sprites would be a better fit, I mean at first you'd think the Chaotix Sprites would fit due to the way the colors are on the sprites but it's too light when you look at the images above my reply.

Also as far as Desert Dazzle and Final Fever go, personally I would like to see them as DLC, after all that Little Planet loading screen DOES have a Desert area that is on there, and Final Fever was always planned but scrapped, it would be like we finally got lost levels from times past, but that's just me.

14. Machenstein

Machenstein

While you guys are discussing Knuckles DLC, can one you help Truner and I with the problem I posted last page?

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    No reason you cant modify the palette though, really. Strikes me as more of a coloring issue than anything, and that's not too hard to fix.

16. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    I got the Google Play version when I got my new phone, and I have to say it's so damn well done. I'll probably never get the time stones due to touch screen controls not totally agreeing with my giant fingers but, this is perfect for on the go.

17. Oh man yesterday I saw my cousin and we was talking about games, and she asked what good games there were on Ipod/Iphone, I said Sonic CD and let her try it out on my ipod and she loved it and bought it straight away on her Iphone. Dispite the fiddley touch screen controls, Sonic CD has to be my favourite Ipod game at the moment.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

My best alternative for this is for someone to make a Sonic 1 styled sprite sheet for Knuckles.

That or use another character. Mighty for aforementioned reasons would likely fit in well.

19. dsrb

dsrb

But any other character isn't the one loads of people (apparently) are clamouring for, thus defeating the point of this entire discussion about sprites/palettes/etc.

20. Plus Mighty is way too similar to Sonic to be worth a purchase.

and to get Knuckles to fit the style, you'd basically have to edit his sprites or make a set of completely new ones, which I don't think SEGA would do.

Although I just now tried to edit Knuckle's Sonic 3 sprite to match moreso to Sonic 1/C to see if you could make it fit.
    [​IMG]

When I tried, it actually took quite abit of effort to get him to look like this, and even then it still doesn't look right, so I guess this puts getting Knuckeles in Sonic CD DLC out of the question, unless you all don't mind style clashing.