don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Small glitch: As Tails if you enter a special stage ring while flying, the propeller noise will continue to play throughout the results screen.

2. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    I hope the iOS version isn't a universal app so that I can buy two versions of it. :v:

3. Iapetus

Iapetus

Spinball Elitist Member
    I am happy to see sonic have striped shoes when he is put in a vacuum tube in Tidal Tempest.

I am happy that the music for completing a stage is finished before the point score tallies up.

I am happy that the timing for going max speed to travel between time zones is a wee bit longer.

I am happy to see this is the ultimate release of this game :)

4. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    =O OMG Tails is so fucking adorable in the special stage! Also, is that a new swimming animation?

EDIT: Tails frozen animation pleases me. Also I believe the shield is definitely redrawn with real transparency, but I can't recall exactly what the original looked like. I seem to recall it was originally the same as S1.

5. jackelbeaver

jackelbeaver

While not adding stages into the middle of the existing game is something I strongly agree with, I think, had these concepts been finished, an appropriate place would have been as an "EXTRA STAGE" in the Time Attack Menu. Not changing the game but just adding onto it for the dedicated. Like if a sonic 2 remake were done and hidden palace were finished, it wouldn't make sense to put it in somewhere during the main game, but hiding it in the level select or somewhere "selectable as its own thing" is probably appropriate. the menus in sonic cd hd are slick as shit by the way, good job on those!

I would love to see the other 4 sonic genesis era games get this treatment. It would be amazing if something were done to make rotating maze special stage actually fun..they always felt like something was...wrong. would be hilarious if there was an achievement for beating the game as knuckles, because that IS an achievement!!!

What I'd LOVE to see is a version of sonic 3 and sonic and knuckles where the lockon isn't just a replacement for the two games. I rarely play the locked on version of s3k because of how exhausting it gets. The transition is all kinds of awkward with the difference in design theme, tone, and difficulty. Having a song switch between Sonic 3 Gen vs PC mixes would be nice (PC option would have to use the S&K medleys to stay consistent with that experience) I have fond memories of the PC tracks and still hum that version of launch base on occasion.

The Sonic & Knuckles game I'd love to see with most of the lock on expansions. The super emeralds quest (trips to the hidden palace to pick a special stage) and sonic's extended opening to mushroom hill zone sort of built up to the encounter at hidden palace alot better than the initial game. I prefer the way mushroom hill opens for knuckles in S&K (Egg Robo Attack) versus how it does for Sonic 3 & Knuckles (just sort of falling from the other level?).

Unimportant really specific note about the super emeralds quest in this theoretical S&K HD:
    I guess one other small thing is...the spiraling emeralds turning into the super emeralds for when sonic first enters the special stage, but for knuckles it would probably make sense for the grayed out super emeralds to be already there? the master emerald is missing when knuckles visits the super emerald stages in the lockon version though right? that's a big thing..thats a really specific thing though.

Also I guess I wouldn't want the intermingling of the sonic 3 bonus stage with the sonic and knuckles bonus stages unless you actually played the lock-on campaign. I prefer those bonus stages separate.

The big thing is that I don't like what s3k does to the sonic 3 portion, but I enjoy what it does to the S&K half (with exception). also the level design and overall tone between the two halves has always felt inconsistent and awkward to me. I actually prefer playing them separately and consider them two games that just happen to be a part 1 and 2 of a story (sort of like episodes in sonic 4, probably? though thats not out, its a good correlation) Infact I feel "seperate but connected" ADDS to the strength of those games.

Quick Summary of my dream feature list of HD Genesis sonic games in bulleted list:

All 4 games should obviously include:
    • menu screen
    • leaderboards
    • achievements
    • save games
    • time attack mode

Sonic 1:
    • Sonic 2 style Spindash
    • RELIABLE controls in the Special Stages
    • Fixing physics and other bugs (spikes)
    • 7th emerald?
    • Super Sonic?

Sonic 2:
    • Knuckles as an Unlockable character in the base game
    • Ability for Tails to fly in singleplayer mode
    • Expanded 2-Player Versus Mode, would be amazing if it had an Online mode (without the splitscreen)

Sonic 3:
    • Soundtrack select between Genesis and PC versions of the game
    • Knuckles added as a playable character to the base game
    • Leaderboards and online ghost functionality added to Competition mode
    • Knuckles able to glide and climb in Competition Mode?

Sonic & Knuckles:
    • Sonic3K expanded intro for Mushroom Hill Zone at the start of Sonic's game
    • Super Emeralds quest from Sonic 3K, selecting special stages from hidden palace shrine
    • Hyper Sonic and Hyper Knuckles as the the rewards for getting all 7 emeralds
    • Tails and Sonic & Tails modes as secret playable characters
    • Blue Spheres challenge mode (leaderboard and achievements) and the ability to play as Tails added to it
    • The ability to lock on to Sonic 3 for the lock on version of the campaign (if you bought sonic 3)

6. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I really hope SEGA uses the Retro engine for more than just remakes.

I'll be buying Sonic CD when I get home Friday.

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I like what Taxman did on the Metal Sonic race time attack. :v:

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I see what you did there. You added that beta good future Sonic sign back into Quartz Quadrant GF Act 3. Nice touch.

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Just a plug for you guys to check the front page: if you give a copy of Sonic CD and tell us about it, you can win a copy of SCD for Steam from us. We have quite a few copies ready to go. ;)

10. Just blazed through the PS3 copy, beat it with a bad future to unlock Tails. (But also giving me two more 'good future' playthroughs!)

Are trophies not supposed to work with Tails? I just beat Palmtree Panic in good future and the trophy didn't pop up.

Otherwise, was amazing! Was way better than what Backbone put out classics wise.

EDIT: Also I too would buy those two levels as an 'EXTENDED MODE' DLC.

11. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Eh. The only way I could gift my brother a copy of Sonic CD would be to either gift the very Steam version you're giving out, or to get him the Xbox 360 version, which I can't right now since I'm waiting on an HDMI cable from Monoprice. Plus, knowing my brother, he wouldn't play it anyway.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Give a copy Sonic CD? How?

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Steam allows for gifting by default. The others require you purchasing it for them. Because for some silly reason, no other service except NINTENDO'S of all things has gifting.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Is the Steam version going to be available for Mac, perchance?

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Given it can run on iOS, I damn sure hope so. If not... well, lol Mac. :specialed:

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm thinking lol Mac will be in effect here.

17. Oh darn, I was practically praying the the 2nd one at least. Super sad it didn't happen but great game nonetheless, thanks taxman :)

18. I am in love with this game! Great work Taxman!

19. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

http://sega-memories.blogspot.com/2011/12/sonic-cd-is-my-life.html

Only loosely related to this trend maybe, but just thought I'd share some memories this game is bringing flooding back.

Still haven't grabbed the game, but only because I'm waiting on that art contest blog from Sega. It's so cheap mind! Would buy on more than one format but only have the PS3 to play it on unless I one day set up steam. Played the demo and already blown away by what a good re-build it is. Can't wait to get stuck in.

20. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Great remake so far - really hope the speed cap bug can be patched later on now that you're aware of it, though - I'd love the option for completely accurate SCD physics should I choose! Since you say this slipped through for the console version, are you allowed to confirm whether it's been fixed for the upcoming PC version?

Also, unfortunately I've encountered one bug while I've been playing that ground the game to a halt - somehow in Tidal Tempest I managed to drown while already dead from a Time Over. = S The game locked out the menu, so the only thing I could do was return to the Xbox Dashboard. = /

By the way, Desert Dazzle looks nice from the artwork - looks like it would have been a lovely SCD-esque take on the Dust Hill concept, and it's a great shame it didn't make it in. Means the game's more authentic to the original, but providing there was the option to play only the original levels I don't think anyone would have been against the idea of a new level and an extra final boss. Have you guys considered asking the higher-ups if you can finish it to include as a DLC extra or something? = )