Sonic CD Beta UFOs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by bookman the stinky, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    [​IMG]
    We all know that there were many things changed from the early protos of Sonic CD to the later protos. One thing that I'm bringing to attention is the UFOs still being in the final game.
    About....3-4 years ago I was dicking around, playing Sonic CD (emulated). I ran out of time, so I loaded up a savestate I saved during the middle of the stage or whenever. I don't remember exactly what I did but I remember seeing the beta UFO's flying around for a second. I screencapped that IMMEDIATELY. Unfortunately I had no idea what the Sonic 2 beta forums were at the time, so I didn't do much about it.
    Computer crashed, had to get it fixed, and everything was wiped off the hard drive. So much for that.
    Last year, I tried replicating that event, but....it gave me shit. I've been trying so hard to find this because this may lead to more discoveries to be found in the final.

TL;DR: I saw the beta UFOs in the final and can't find them again.

Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    You didn't see the beta UFOs in the final. You may have thought you did, but such a thing is literally impossible. Similar shapes may have led you to reach such a conclusion, but I assure you that is has no basis in fact.

However, I do think we can have an interesting discussion on the prototype UFO designs!

Personally, I think the old ones look a bit tacky; they look more like modified Metroid designs than they do UFOs—the final design captures that feeling much better. Mind you, I'm not sure how UFOs and obtaining time stones play a role together, but I guess that doesn't matter much considering that going back in time is a horrible infeasible concept in the first place. =P

3. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Why do the UFOs in the DA garden remind me so much of the Marble Zone UFOs?

Back on topic...

You may be right. During my savestate trials I saw huge palette shifts and background animation still intact from other Special Stages (loading the states while I'm in those SS's of course), and some garbage artwork.
    It may have been one of those palette shifts mixed with a clusterfuck of said garbage that looked like the UFO.

But I don't feel like playing the "it doesn't exist" card just yet.

It's times like these I wish I wasn't a total noobcake at hacking.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    ...it's not a card—it's the truth.

Incidentally, I'm not a total noobcake at hacking. And I can assure you with total certainty that it is not in the game. Okay? Okay!

Seriously, I tried to turn this topic in a better direction, but your insistence isn't helping. Believe me, you were mistaken. It's nothing to be embarrassed about—just try not to make the mistake again.

5. Bowser

Bowser

Texas
    Music, Art, Photography, etc
    I don't mean to be off topic.. But I find it rather amusing and ironic that it's like we're kind of debating over an actual UFO sighting. Just saying :p

6. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    I'm not embarassed. I just wish I could dive back 3 years in time to see it myself that I was wrong. But whatever. I guess there's no point in wasting my time arguing over nothing. :)

7. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Actually, what I want to know is why these beta UFOs haven't popped up in any of the known betas we have. You'd think they might be in at least one of them.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Way way more interesting than beta UFOs is the image we have of the rotating special stage ala sonic 1 but with several zooming layers. I wonder if that was just a mockup or if it ever worked. I'd love to see how it played.

You know, judging by how the special stages in our beta are nothing more than a computer-controlled demonstration, I'm willing to bet that there was never a beta that let you play the special stages with the old-style UFOs.

EDIT: Also, with the multiple copies of sonic 2 and CD we have, it should be pretty apparent that most games DON'T go through very many wild changes outside of the beginning planning-stages. It seems that, for the most part, people decide what's going to be in very early on and then steadily work towards that, barring an occasional deleted level ala hidden palace zone.

Sonic 1 would probably be a good beta in this regard since it seems like it had many conceptual and art-work based changes during it's development, but even then it looks like it really only went through awesome stages of change really early on (like the super-early GHZ shot).

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    SegaCD savestates were known to be broken back then, so it's possible that what you saw was merely VRAM corruption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.