don't click here

Sonic CD backgrounds?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Lostgame, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Hey, I'm looking for entire maps of the background art for Sonic CD, specifically for Wacky Workbench's past level - does anybody know where you can find things like these? All I've seen so far is like the level layouts, I'd really like the background just as one big image file. Same with a lot of levels from Sonic CD.

Anybody?

2. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    How convenient, I was at just the right kind of website. Try here, but watch out for fancharacters.

(I can't spell~)

3. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Yeah, that's actually the place I found a lot of pieces and level layouts, but not the entire background map like I need.

Anybody else?

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Use qiuu's data extractor to make SonED2 projects of Sonic CD zones, then use SonED2 to export backgrounds as PCX files.
    I did that with the foregrounds to make the level maps I uploaded on the wiki. I'd do that for you but I can't right now (not on my main computer). I will look into doing that if you want, though.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I figure you could also use the old SonEd to rip them from a PC version :P

6. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Eh, I'll have to install windows on this machine, unless SonED2 works with WINE?

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I'll try to do that in the next 18 hours. If you don't see me posting in this thread by then, then you have to install windows, yes.

8. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    Now, I could be misinterpreting what you're saying... but are you trying to make this? qiuu's already split the level layouts and set them up for SonED2, and made it public to boot.

9. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    SonED 2 doesn't work with WINE. :(

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Honestly, I wouldn't expect it to - with it's DOS roots, I'd be extremely shocked if it had run at all.

11. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    [​IMG]
    I'm totally not running SonED2 in WINE. Nope, not at all.

Yes, you do need a windows install, but no it's not because it doesn't run. It's because it doesn't do what you need it to do. You can load projects, take screen shots, and edit and even save layouts!

But trying to export the level to an image crashes it. Since all you want is to export the level background to an image, this is not the behavior you want.

Also: make sure to disable any composting window managers you happen to have (compiz/compizfusion/beryl/whatever else exists), as they cause massive lag when trying to run SonED2 in WINE.

Also also: It gives you an error about it not running and needing to close, but if you "OK" past that error, it works just fine? (Well, image exporting aside).

When running from a console, the debug output it gives while running the program is something along the lines of being unable to create some registry entry. When it finally crashes, it outputs:
    fixme:d3d_surface:surface_init Trying to create a render target that isn't in the default pool.
    fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
    wine: Unhandled exception 0xc000008e at address 0x7d77e068 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
    intel_tex_image.c:355: intelTexImage: Assertion `texImage->RowStride == postConvWidth' failed.
    First chance exception: assertion failed in 32-bit code (0xb8007424).

And then starts dumping registers/stack/backtrace information.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with SonED2 (it IS old software, bit rot perhaps), with the way wine deals with / emulates DirectX (Most likely cause, wine implementation is not perfect), or some third thing I can't think of.

But as this is a you looking for backgrounds thread and not a me-posting-my problems thread, I'll fire up my XP VM and rip those backgrounds for you!

Edit: Done. Best place to host files? They're all in a 7-zip archive. Holy shit that is some good compression, 40MB of PCX images compressed into a single 1MB archive.

12. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    New post so it's easier to find:
    The download link:

http://www.filedropper.com/scd

It is a 7-zip archive containing the background data as exported by SonED2 - so it's full of PCX image files.
    You will need some method of extracting 7-zip archives (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html - has versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Linux users can also check their favorite repositories)

As for opening (and converting) said PCX image files, you're on your own. I know for a fact that ifranview can do it, pretty sure any other decent graphics editing program (Read: not mspaint) can handle it.

Best of luck in whatever endeavor you wanted these files for.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK, I'm shocked. =P Honestly didn't see that running under Wine, even with the issues you mentioned.

14. Dynamix

Dynamix

EDIT: Nevermind, forget this post...

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Pity the second backgrounds of Quartz Quadrant weren't included, but this is fine as it is.

Interesting how in a couple cases the bad future is just a replica of the present background with signs of decay added in and how in other cases the present is its own style and the other time zones are something else entirely.

16. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    What do you mean the "second backgrounds"? It's been forever since I've sat down and played all the way through Sonic CD, and I rarely pay much attention to the backgrounds as-is.

At any rate, in my opinion anyway, most of the backgrounds are similar or otherwise close to identical for all the time zones (the gimmick being that shit changes gradually over time). But considering that each time zone has a different background and on at least one (and possibly other occasions), the different Acts can have slightly different backgrounds, I'd imagine that they cut corners at some points and neglected to change some backgrounds that drastically. We're talking about four different backgrounds per zone, sometimes per act!

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    There is a background for the outdoor areas and a background for the indoor areas. Pretty much like in Ice Cap zone in Sonic 3.

18. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I'm not sure if these are still needed or not, but the latest version of Sonic Extractor CD Mix can export background graphics.

It'll even do the exterior Quartz Quadrant backgrounds, but you'll need savestates made after they've been loaded into memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.