don't click here

Sonic CD 3D: A New Proposal

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by True Dude, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have found that there seems to be many people who are unhappy with the current progress on Sonic 2 HD, including myself. Some people have even suggested making a seperate project as a sort of "competition" for Sonic 2 HD. Well, here's what I have for you.

Sonic CD, remade in 3D.

Although this project would take much longer to do than Sonic 2 HD, and would be extremely hard to accomplish, the end result would be the a great remake of one of the greatest, if not THE greatest Sonic game of all time.

If you think that this proposal is crazy for coming out of the woodworks with nothing to show, then think of it this way: Sonic 2 HD started when someone found a cool picture of Sonic 2 with cool graphics. Someone then said "What would that look like as a real game?", and thus people worked on it. This doesn't seem to be much different.

There are many things that need to be decided first, like what engine to use (BlitzSonic?) and how, as well as "the soundtrack issue". But in the end, this could possibly end up being better than Sonic 2 HD.

So who's with me?

2. serpx

serpx

<!--quoteo(post=327497:date=Jul 7 2009, 11:07 AM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jul 7 2009, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327497">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have found that there seems to be many people who are unhappy with the current progress on Sonic 2 HD, including myself. Some people have even suggested making a seperate project as a sort of "competition" for Sonic 2 HD. Well, here's what I have for you.

Sonic CD, remade in 3D.

Although this project would take much longer to do than Sonic 2 HD, and would be extremely hard to accomplish, the end result would be the a great remake of one of the greatest, if not THE greatest Sonic game of all time.

If you think that this proposal is crazy for coming out of the woodworks with nothing to show, then think of it this way: Sonic 2 HD started when someone found a cool picture of Sonic 2 with cool graphics. Someone then said "What would that look like as a real game?", and thus people worked on it. This doesn't seem to be much different.

There are many things that need to be decided first, like what engine to use (BlitzSonic?) and how, as well as "the soundtrack issue". But in the end, this could possibly end up being better than Sonic 2 HD.

So who's with me?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Making a 3D game is a very large undertaking. One that typically rarely ever sees the light of day -- especially for a project idea like this. Good luck.

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This would be a rather difficult thing to do... believe me, I can't get enough people to make a group project as it is.

But good luck to you anyways. You're gonna need it.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I'd be interested in a similar project even if it wasn't a Community Project, but I say Sonic 1 might be a better game to remake in 3D since the game itself is much smaller and would be somewhat easier. If anyone else is interested then I have a bit of 3D Modelling experience behind me (When I was working on the Sonic X-Treme Remake)

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    <!--quoteo(post=327505:date=Jul 7 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Ollie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ollie @ Jul 7 2009, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327505">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd be interested in a similar project even if it wasn't a Community Project, but I say Sonic 1 might be a better game to remake in 3D since the game itself is much smaller and would be somewhat easier. If anyone else is interested then I have a bit of 3D Modelling experience behind me (When I was working on the Sonic X-Treme Remake)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not to mention the engine could later be used to remake CD.

For this project, if I had any skills, I'd assist, but alas, I don't. I'm more of the imagination behind the scenes then the actual work.

6. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I think a look back to this thread will jog our memories a little:

<a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=11782" target="_blank">http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=11782</a>

*sees visions of Ashura: Dark Reign; this engine <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/fanmade-sonic-3d-pc-engine/193995" target="_blank">http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/fan...c-engine/193995</a>, SRB2, Sonic GL & the Sonic 360 engine, to name a few*

7. serpx

serpx

What you could do though is focus on remaking a level in 3D. That'd be cool, and you wouldn't have to worry about spending years developing something that would more than likely (no offense on your capabilities, just statistically speaking here) fall on its face.

Why must fans want to make large epic scaled games? Just make some fun levels. Would be great on a resume, and you could just spend a few months on making one.

8. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Not for nothing, but you can't just take a 2D game and miraculously make it 3D. It doesn't work like that.

What you're instead proposing is creating an entirely new game, with thematic elements taken from Sonic CD... or a 2.5D remake of the game. The former would be more interesting, honestly, and sounds more like what you're proposing...

9. serpx

serpx

<!--quoteo(post=327514:date=Jul 7 2009, 11:28 AM:name=Shadow Hog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shadow Hog @ Jul 7 2009, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327514">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not for nothing, but you can't just take a 2D game and miraculously make it 3D. It doesn't work like that.

What you're instead proposing is creating an entirely new game, with thematic elements taken from Sonic CD... or a 2.5D remake of the game. The former would be more interesting, honestly, and sounds more like what you're proposing...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, 2.5D, like Unleashed threw out a lot, is 3D, in a 2D perspective, so it can work. Street Fighter 4 is another example -- 3D game, in a 2D perspective.

10. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Okay, for the love of God, what IS up with you peers? Why all the hate towards the project? Is it sheerly because the fact there's gradients in there? This lynching of the project is bad for the reputation of the site and isn't helping anyone. The people working on the project are only trying their very best to give us something fun but get repaid by people talking shit.

...for fuck's sake.

Good luck on finding animators and programmers, I guess. :colbert:

11. I like how all of these remakes choose to grab a sequel or something instead of testing the waters (and biting off less in the whole run) by sticking to the original Sonic 1.

<!--quoteo(post=327517:date=Jul 7 2009, 05:32 PM:name=test-object)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (test-object @ Jul 7 2009, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327517">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, for the love of God, what IS up with you peers? Why all the hate towards the project? Is it sheerly because the fact there's gradients in there? This lynching of the project is bad for the reputation of the site and isn't helping anyone. The people working on the project are only trying their very best to give us something fun but get repaid by people talking shit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A general disdain for the way the project is doing things, most noticably the art style, approach taken to reamking the assets and how any attempts to discuss things have ended up. But this isn't the topic to be discussing this.

Really, this topic smacks of a hastily thought idea to "one-up" S2HD in a silly way, personally.

12. serpx

serpx

<!--quoteo(post=327517:date=Jul 7 2009, 11:32 AM:name=test-object)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (test-object @ Jul 7 2009, 11:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327517">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, for the love of God, what IS up with you peers? Why all the hate towards the project? Is it sheerly because the fact there's gradients in there? This lynching of the project is bad for the reputation of the site and isn't helping anyone. The people working on the project are only trying their very best to give us something fun but get repaid by people talking shit.

...for fuck's sake.

Good luck on finding animators and programmers, I guess. :colbert:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have no hate for the project, but just telling him the reality of the idea because we don't want to see a good idea go to waste, like thousands of ideas have before it. I recommend starting off remaking a level -- then, if satisfied and confident more levels of the same game could be made, eventually reaching the full game status, then go for it. The level demo developed just proved him and the team, or just him, is capable.

People come up with crazy ideas all the time, for a game, and how many of them do you see succeed? We must be real to them, so they can be real to themselves and do something they know they can accomplish, so we can actually get something in-the-end, and they can actually bring us something. You know what I mean?

13. <!--quoteo(post=327514:date=Jul 7 2009, 09:28 AM:name=Shadow Hog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shadow Hog @ Jul 7 2009, 09:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327514">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]What you're instead proposing is creating an entirely new game, with thematic elements taken from Sonic CD... or a 2.5D remake of the game. The former would be more interesting, honestly, and sounds more like what you're proposing...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is actually about what I had in mind. I didn't want to remake the entire levels exactly, I wanted a more open style environment while sticking closely to the original concepts that made Sonic CD so great.

On different note, a simple solution to long time loads for time travel, my idea is that the textures for the walls and background and such would happen after a short flash of sorts, that way it would keep everything about the same without loading enormous levels over and over again.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    You'd probably need to alter the layout a bit, but not in a way where you can get stuck in a wall, like a majority of my damn travelling in CD.

15. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Sonic 1 seems more obvious for a 3D remake.

Perhaps adapt the Unleashed style play where it switches out from 3D to 2D viewpoints. The 2D segments would be lifted from the original levels, the 3D portions would mostly be straightways/platforming.

16. Alright, so I don't choose the wrong one, what is one of the best 3D modelers out there that can be converted for games? (A free one would be nice, if not, try not to go past $100 :p)

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Well, there's Fragmotion and Blender.... don't know much others, I'm not exactly what you would call a modeler.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    <!--quoteo(post=327497:date=Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327497">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have found that there seems to be many people who are unhappy with the current progress on Sonic 2 HD, including myself. Some people have even suggested making a seperate project as a sort of "competition" for Sonic 2 HD. Well, here's what I have for you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh God...

<!--quoteo(post=327497:date=Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327497">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sonic CD, remade in 3D.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh GOD!

<!--quoteo(post=327497:date=Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327497">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Although this project would take much longer to do than Sonic 2 HD, and would be extremely hard to accomplish, the end result would be the a great remake of one of the greatest, if not THE greatest Sonic game of all time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Opinion. Some regard it as one of Sonic's lowest, with Sonic 2 being its peak. Furthermore, the remake would have to take so many liberties that no one would know the end result.

<!--quoteo(post=327497:date=Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327497">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you think that this proposal is crazy for coming out of the woodworks with nothing to show,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is.

<!--quoteo(post=327497:date=Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327497">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->then think of it this way: Sonic 2 HD started when someone found a cool picture of Sonic 2 with cool graphics. Someone then said "What would that look like as a real game?", and thus people worked on it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably because it had something to do with vector graphics. Something that's much easier to accomplish then 3D modeling, not to mention the <strike>talent</strike> resources for S2HD's art demands are much more widely available for it.

<!--quoteo(post=327497:date=Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327497">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This doesn't seem to be much different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's VERY different. This isn't a game with prettier graphics. You're talking about converting a 2D game into the 3D space. Problem is, the 2D game dealt with the second dimension. What are you going to do with all that other empty space?

<!--quoteo(post=327497:date=Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327497">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are many things that need to be decided first, like what engine to use (BlitzSonic?) and how, as well as "the soundtrack issue". But in the end, this could possibly end up being better than Sonic 2 HD.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Way to list trivia.

<!--quoteo(post=327497:date=Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jul 7 2009, 09:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327497">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So who's with me?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Idiots.

19. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    SRB2CD anyone? :psyduck:

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    <!--quoteo(post=327550:date=Jul 7 2009, 07:00 PM:name=Iceguy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iceguy @ Jul 7 2009, 07:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327550">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SRB2CD anyone? :psyduck:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6DfMBaBVTM" target="_blank">Some people are ahead of you</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.