don't click here

Sonic CD, 3, 3D: Similarities

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MasterDreamcaster, Jan 24, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Running Up That Green Hill Member
    I noticed some similarities between those three games.
    1. All 3 had their respective soundtracks changed: Sonic CD has different soundtracks in Japanese/European version and North American version; Sonic 3's music had been changed several times: Michael Jackson team's songs replaced some themes from original version, then those themes returned in Sonic & Knuckles Collection and Sonic Origins; Sonic 3D also has two versions of soundtrack: Mega Drive version and Saturn version.
    2. Second levels from CD, 3, 3D are either ruin-themed, take place underground or have water. Note: in CD's case, I'm talking about unused Dubious Depths level – it could have been a dungeon and ruins are seen in extended animation from that game.
    retroarch 2023-01-12 22-54-05-230.png Sonic 3D Blast003.png
    3. Alliterative names in CD and 3D: Quartz Quadrant, Diamond Dust, Stardust Speedway, Volcano Valley etc.
    4. Giant Eggman statues in CD and 3D.
    SONIC THE HEDGEHOG-CD014.png SONIC THE HEDGEHOG-CD008.png Sonic 3D Blast014.png
    5. Sonic can't become Super Sonic in CD and 3D.
    6. Similar boss fight in CD and 3D.
    SONIC THE HEDGEHOG-CD003.png Sonic 3D Blast012.png

2. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    Interesting.

A good case for "great minds think alike" perhaps? Not sure what to think. I also have no (immediate) recollection of that giant Eggman statue in 3D (though it seems kind of familiar?) and it's kind of freaking me out lol.

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It's in Panic Puppet 2. Sonic Retro doesn't have level maps for S3D, but someone else does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    7: They all feature Sonic

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    Ahhh ok. Upon second glance it definitely sort of rings a bell. I honestly don't even remember the last time I fired up this game so that's probably why I'm all Brainfart City Zone in my recollection of it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  6. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I got a good laugh out of this. But I mean, this wasn't always a given back then. See: Chaotix, Tails' Adventures, Mean Bean Machine. Imagine if 3D Blast had been deemed full spinoff. Knuckles 3D Blast!

They also all got ported to the PC back in the day.

Definitely a lot of interesting coincidences going on there that I never thought about. The ruins level one is the only one that has an easy explanation: They were all following in the mold of Sonic 1's Marble Zone. Same idea as starting with a GHZ-esque level, in the case of SCD and S3D.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    These are interesting coincidences, but I wonder if they don't actually reflect a larger pattern throughout the entire classic series. Seeing as Sonic CD has level themes mostly borrowed from Sonic 1, you could say Marble Zone is a distant cousin of Rusty Ruin too -- and for some reason "second level" almost always equalled "ruins" for Sonic developers back in the day. That, and "giant Robotnik" is notoriously a thing in Sonic 2 too: maybe it was described in some very respected design document that Eggman would always try to express his megalmania through his machines.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Despite what people might think Classic Sonic had some underlying connections going on.

For instance, Subspace was where Fang the Sniper resided in Sonic Triple Trouble and the Flickies of Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island travelled to and from.
    Espio was jealous of Knuckles for residing on Angel Island since he wanted to see the Ancient Civilizations' ruins in Chaotix, lo and behold he's on Angel Island in Sonic the Fighters.
    Tails' Skypatrol saw Tails leave Sonic for his own little adventure, and Sonic Labyrinth notes this as why Tails isn't around to help Sonic during that game.

So I could see these connections as having some intention behind them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Worth noting that Labyrinth was originally the second level in S1. Still, ancient ruins themed all the same. I always kinda felt like Hydrocity being second in S3 was possibly inspired by that. And actually, Marble Garden being third is much like Marble originally being third in S1, so maybe it really isn't coincidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.