don't click here

Sonic CD 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by StephenUK, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Well I was looking to get away from the distant past / future concept and focus more on a smaller timespan, which is why I came up with the seasons idea. Even if an idea like yours was carried out, it'd still be the same concept as Sonic CD, except with a modernised storyline.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    So basically, you want to make this game then.

[​IMG]

3. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I've never played any of the Megaman series, so I wouldn't know. Is it a good thing or bad thing?

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    So essentially you're thinking of Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons but for a Sonic title?

Hm, that could work. Incidentally, in this game, Spring had flowers you could bounce on to higher heights, Winter and Autumn did what you already described, and Summer dried up lakes revealing new routes & areas previously inaccessable due to the water.

5. Well the seasons idea is certainly (pretty) original, and the only other Sonic game that used this was Sonic & Knuckles's Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2. It's also the only cycle I can think of not used as a central game gimmick for the old games. (Sonic CD - Time Travel, Knuckle's Chaotix - Day/Night)

6. corneliab

corneliab

Pfft, Megaman? More like this:

[​IMG]

Anyways, I like the idea. It still follows the time thing from the first Sonic CD, yet doesn't directly copy it. It is admittedly somewhat smaller-scale than the idea of traveling years and years through time, so I'm not sure what to think about that. Also, it would be fairly difficult to create unique season-based variations of stages that don't end up seeming too samey between each other.

...also, there's the issue of having to have 4 separate tracks of music for each zone.

...and figuring out a decent way to switch between 4 different seasons with ease and convenience.

Honestly, I can see this as being a real hassle to pull off.

7. I definitely like your Seasons Idea! It would be unique, still follow the way that Sonic CD introduced with the time zones, and adds strategy!

Only issue is there would have to be 4 separate different layouts. 0.o

May I suggest something easier?

It would still follow the time zone format, but instead of fast forwarding/rewinding thousands of years...how about like 10 years each way?

The difference between this and Sonic CD is the change would most affect Sonic himself. This would happen instead of the zones layout being changed, Their look would still change based on the time chosen.

For instance in the past, Sonic would be younger, more agile, and smaller, allowing for entry into smaller areas. In the future, Sonic would be roboticized (as all lifeforms except Robotnik are) into Metal Sonic! He would be able to smash walls, make a force shield, and still have high speed maneuvers!

Just a thought.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I know a cycle but I'm keeping it to myself.

But it's not that unique, haha. Basically every sequel to a time travel game ever has used it.

9. WHY MUST YOU KEEP THIS A SECRET? :argh:

How about all three cycles used at once, Time Travel, Day/Night Cycle, and Seasons Cycle, to create 64 different variations of every act? *shot*

EDIT: Oh, alternate universes. duh.

10. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I don't see why it would be a hassle really. Once you get the art done for the summer version of a zone, modifying it for the season is just a few art alterations such as adding snow, brown leaves, leaf piles, flowers, along with some palette modifications to accomodate them. The layouts wouldn't really have to change at all, except for the puzzle related things like removal of foliage, freezing water and such, as I can't imagine the layouts chaging too much with the passing of a season. As for the music, it'd only be small modifications around a base track, pretty much like Sonic CD handled the music. For switching between seasons, I was going to go with pretty much the same as Sonic CD, seeing as it's still time travel after all, just with a shorter range than the previous game.

As for the Zelda game, I haven't played or heard of that one either.

11. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Oh, this remembers me of that Banjo Kazooie "last" world, where you had 4 diferent seasons and you had to change the season to see how time pass and the changes you did in winter, afected the summer and so~

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    :ssh:

13. I can't say I'm a big fan of the idea of season changes. If the goal is to make it mandatory to switch time frames, then you need something more reliable than a future and past signposts.

With my idea of beating the boss in the past to save the future, you essentially have 3 difficulty levels and new ways of getting Chaos Emeralds. Although this doesn't make it mandatory to time travel, there are some bosses you might say "shit, that was too hard, next time I play I'll go back in time to make things easier"

My beef with Sonic CD was that saving the past still resulted in having to fight the same robotnik. There was no incentive to save the past.

14. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I don't believe in putting difficulty levels in a Sonic game, to me they should be challenging, but not in a frustrating way that it deters the player from playing the game. I also agree that there wasn't much incentive to save the past in Sonic CD, which is why I thought about breaking the game away from the past/present/future concept Sonic CD adopted and going for something that makes the changes have a purpose, and not just a mandatory one, but also a rewarding one. I didn't say anything about keeping the Past/Future signs either if I went with the seasons idea either, that was just your assumption. I was thinking of putting something in place such as the big rings which would have certain seasons attached to them, meaning you would have to find them to swap between the seasons. Not only would they be a permanent fixture that you could keep using, but it would also give the player a reason to fully explore the levels, and knowing the locations would make it beneficial when it comes to speed runs through the zones, as they'd be in such a fashion that you could warp between seasons to open up new routes and shorten the time. There are plenty of opportunities for evolving the game, you just need to think outside the box instead of assuming that this is gonna be just another SCD clone.

15. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    So, I'm thinking of actually taking away the whole time travel, season swap etc, and just making a game which plays something like the S3K but with Metal Sonic, Amy and Robotnik returning. The main reason for this is that I'm having a hard time settling on an idea, and I can always add the the game at a later date to expand it. I've made a mockup of a deep sea style zone, which will transition into a beach partway into the zone. Mockup below, general C+C please.

[​IMG]

16. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    For a second I had no idea why people were talking about season/time traveling untill I relized this wasn't your sonic 4 topic.....

Looking good so far, I actually was planning some kind of level on paper, sonic gets swallowed by a shark and he needs to make the shark throw up from the inside, and then you are playing the regular sea level, there are flowers in the foreground, broken/abandoned ship as some kind of hidden room with goodies, and ride on a dolphin tail/bounce from its water pipe thingy (the hole on its back) to get to the boss arena, a pirate ship.

I pretty much revealed what I was planning, feel free to use it, its not even in my hack yet.

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I love your work most of the time, Stephen. However this just doesn't look good at all. Whether this is original art or not, it looks like a cut and paste job from another game that's obviously not Sonic or even anything like it. It looks like a cookie cutter, Chuck Rock type of game and we all know you can do much better than this!

18. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    This is a great idea, and will be more accesible to the people that don't want to switch Time Periods to destroy generators and such. If you had them planned anyway.

19. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    It's very early work in progress, I'm not 100% happy with it myself but I want to see what people suggest so I can have a wide range of ideas for extra scenery and so I can develop it a lot further. As I said, this is merely a proto mockup, not an in-game shot.

20. It doesn't really have that sonic feeling. As Jason said, it's like a generic look that you'd expect to see in games like puggsy, chuckrock and rolo.

It might be because of the tiered foreground. I don't think it's something I've seen in Sonic before, at least not like that. If you're going for underwater sea, have it more sandy, perhaps with some coral and starfish like you have done in the background. Of course I base that on the assumption that Sonic is already underwater (despite the lack of underwater palette on Sonic, it looks as if he is already underwater)

The sunken ship looks too intact to be a sunken ship. break it up more, make it more diffused and add more debris. After all, in the deep sea, you're not likely to see that much clarity in a sunken ship and it's not going to be that clean (add moss and coral to it) . Also add coral and more rocks to the background around the ground. The sea floor looks too level.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean about diffused look.

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//f1/0/f1...15b51da60a7.jpg
    http://soulofamerica.com/soagalleries/caym...sunken_ship.jpg

Just to quickly add, it also looks like the boat is a rather small boat given the size of the planks on the side of it, which in turn makes it look like the boat is right up next to Sonic given its scale. I think you should add more planks to make it look larger and then implement some of the other suggestions and then hopefully it will start to fall in place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.