Sonic CD 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by StephenUK, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    <!--quoteo(post=390427:date=Dec 30 2009, 08:11 PM:name=RGamer2009)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Dec 30 2009, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390427">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=390424:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:07 PM:name=Overbound)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overbound @ Dec 30 2009, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390424">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=390407:date=Dec 31 2009, 01:17 AM:name=Hivebrain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hivebrain @ Dec 31 2009, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390407">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Instant time travel by pressing B might be interesting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would probably be the only way forced time travel would work in a Sonic game. Have you played Super Paper Mario? It could be done like that only using the switch between timezones instead of the transition between 3D and 2D.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You know...this could actually work well!

What if Sonic had something on him that let him time travel anytime he wished?

Like maybe Tails makes a pair of shoes for Sonic...the Time Shoes!

They allow him to time travel when he reached above his top speed? or by a button press?

Just an Idea...
    I think we have a winning idea here! :)

How about this: when Sonic reaches his top speed (stars will trail behind him to notify the player), you can press B to instantly warp to a different time zone. You'll always warp to the present in the past and future, but in the case of warping from the present, that's when the time posts will have to be used to switch between Past and Future.

I'm not sure what we'd need to do if time posts were to be ditched altogether. The best thing I could think of would be that Sonic runs left to go to the past, and he runs right to go to the future.

2. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    For that to work there would be a couple of stipulations

First you'd have to make it obvious that a new path would open up in a different time zone. Second you could only use 2 time zones so that when your in the past at your top speed you have the option to travel to the future and in the nurture you'd have the option to travel to the past.

3. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Ok, so I've read through all the ideas here, and these are the ones that seem to be sticking with me at the moment...

Sonic only
    Time Travel (4 timezones)
    3 Acts per zone
    Save feature
    S1 style special stage entry
    Metal Sonic and Amy appearances
    Puzzle based elements in the timezones (in moderation, possibly optional)
    Multiple paths available through timezones
    Return to Little Planet, new zones though obviously

The following are ideas I'm considering...

Instant Warp (No transition, already have an idea on how to do this)
    Button press to initiate warp (A to warp backwards, B to warp forwards)
    Making Tails a character (I'd need a good reason to do this though)
    Act transitions (not sure whether to bother with them or not)
    Super Sonic (although I'm drifting towards the time stones concept again)

And the following will not be getting done...

Sonic Advance style Amy
    Adding any more pointless characters (Shadow, Knuckles, Shitglove etc)
    Mode 7 special stages (for obvious reasons)
    Homing attack, light speed dash, or any other 3D related moves that aren't necessary

The other thing I was considering that would make the time travel more interesting, incorporates the concept of the multiple paths. Lets say that with a well timed warp, you can warp in such a way that a path appears directly in front of you that helps you progress through the zone a lot quicker than staying in the same timezone. If that kind of mechanic can be incorporated into a time attack feature, then it'll also add an element of skill to the time attack, as the player will have to come up with a perfect race path so to speak, in order to achieve good times, and maybe unlock things by doing so. Just putting that out there as an idea, what do you think?

4. Jayextee

Jayextee

Monochrome Cat Game Guy™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    <!--quoteo(post=390649:date=Dec 31 2009, 06:39 PM:name=StephenUK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StephenUK @ Dec 31 2009, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390649">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The other thing I was considering that would make the time travel more interesting, incorporates the concept of the multiple paths. Lets say that with a well timed warp, you can warp in such a way that a path appears directly in front of you that helps you progress through the zone a lot quicker than staying in the same timezone. If that kind of mechanic can be incorporated into a time attack feature, then it'll also add an element of skill to the time attack, as the player will have to come up with a perfect race path so to speak, in order to achieve good times, and maybe unlock things by doing so. Just putting that out there as an idea, what do you think?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

FUCK YES. But...

<!--quoteo(post=390649:date=Dec 31 2009, 06:39 PM:name=StephenUK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StephenUK @ Dec 31 2009, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390649">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Button press to initiate warp (A to warp backwards, B to warp forwards)
    Making Tails a character (I'd need a good reason to do this though)
    Act transitions (not sure whether to bother with them or not)
    Super Sonic (although I'm drifting towards the time stones concept again)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For fuck's sake NO. To all of these; I thought the idea was a Sonic CD sequel? Omitting some of the things that made the MD games would make it feel more like Sonic CD and less like S3K-with-Sonic-CD-style-gimmicks. Savvy? :)

5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Well the last 3 of those "considering" is my way of saying "Give me a damn good reason to put them in or they're not going in at all". As for the button press warp, I'm relating that back to the concept for the time attack I had. Trying to work it using the standard SCD method of warp would be hard. Using a button press, the player would then have control of the warp and would therefore require more skill and careful thought to achieve the times they'd want. I wouldn't say this was degrading to the SCD original, as I personally felt the original warp method was a bit flawed, as some zones were a complete nightmare to build up speed on to warp. I see the button press as more of an expansion on what was already in place. You would still have to reach speed, but as soon as you had that top speed, rather than holding out and hoping you warp before you have to stop, you can instantly initiate a transition which will hopefully be pretty damn seamless. Again though, it's a matter of whether I can get fluid transitions in place. At the moment there's a 2 or 3 second delay between when the flash starts and when the screen comes back. Still quicker than SCD, but not quick enough.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    What if the idea was stuck with the Time Shoes that also put the peel out into good use (rather than being an eye-candy, no-damage version of the Spin dash)? Sonic peels out to the right and lights flash and suddenly you're in the future, and going left sends you into the past? I thought that instead of the peelout being a launching speed move it would be just what I said. Of course, I was also imagining the time-travelling stars twirl around him as he does it (sort of like how the light dash does in SA1). I just thought this was a better idea since it would be best to not complicate the moveset to where both A and B do something different than jumping.

Thoughts? :)

7. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Time shoes? Like a Time Powerup? Or maybe a monitor that instantly changes the time zone.

8. <!--quoteo(post=390661:date=Dec 31 2009, 02:23 PM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Dec 31 2009, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390661">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if the idea was stuck with the Time Shoes that also put the peel out into good use (rather than being an eye-candy, no-damage version of the Spin dash)? Sonic peels out to the right and lights flash and suddenly you're in the future, and going left sends you into the past? I thought that instead of the peelout being a launching speed move it would be just what I said. Of course, I was also imagining the time-travelling stars twirl around him as he does it (sort of like how the light dash does in SA1). I just thought this was a better idea since it would be best to not complicate the moveset to where both A and B do something different than jumping.

Thoughts? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That. is. GENIUS.

A brilliant use for the shoes AND a quick way to change zones. The time posts would still be necessary, but would only be used for deciding what time period you go to.

9. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    God, what's this "time shoe" stuff? Sonic didn't need them in the first one, and he sure doesn't need a MacGuffin here.

I don't like the idea of using the peel-out for anything but speeding up, either. It's like how Super/Hyper limits the use of the jump move in vanilla Sonic 3K. There was nothing wrong with using time posts.

Also, on the subject of things that are being considered, the only one I really like is the act transitions. It's not necessary by any means, but it streamlines things a little bit.

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Forgetting all this Time Shoe stuff, what if, after hitting a Past or Future post, performing a Peelout would charge the time-travelling-thing, but more slowly than running does? Sonic would still have to run for about a second to warp. Thereby making it easier to change time zones, especially in tight locations, but SLOWER, and therefore unfavourable for Time Attack mode.

Also, what's wrong with Act Transitions? It just seems to me a natural extension of what already happens in the earlier MD and MCD Sonic games. HOWEVER, if you're going to have a special stage ring at the end of the level (a la S1 and SCD), you'll have to make sure to return the player to the correct place after exiting the special stage, which could be a bit iffy in some cases.

11. <!--quoteo(post=390922:date=Jan 1 2010, 06:22 AM:name=DigitalDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DigitalDuck @ Jan 1 2010, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390922">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thereby making it easier to change time zones, especially in tight locations, but SLOWER, and therefore unfavourable for Time Attack mode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Um, Time Attack mode takes away the ability to Time Travel anyways, so that isn't a problem.

Unless you're doing in the game itself...

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    <!--quoteo(post=390954:date=Jan 1 2010, 05:02 PM:name=True Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (True Dude @ Jan 1 2010, 05:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390954">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=390922:date=Jan 1 2010, 06:22 AM:name=DigitalDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DigitalDuck @ Jan 1 2010, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390922">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thereby making it easier to change time zones, especially in tight locations, but SLOWER, and therefore unfavourable for Time Attack mode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Um, Time Attack mode takes away the ability to Time Travel anyways, so that isn't a problem.

Unless you're doing in the game itself...

Well, there is that, but I was also thinking of in the context of:

<!--quoteo(post=390649:date=Dec 31 2009, 06:39 PM:name=StephenUK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StephenUK @ Dec 31 2009, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390649">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The other thing I was considering that would make the time travel more interesting, incorporates the concept of the multiple paths. Lets say that with a well timed warp, you can warp in such a way that a path appears directly in front of you that helps you progress through the zone a lot quicker than staying in the same timezone. If that kind of mechanic can be incorporated into a time attack feature, then it'll also add an element of skill to the time attack, as the player will have to come up with a perfect race path so to speak, in order to achieve good times, and maybe unlock things by doing so. Just putting that out there as an idea, what do you think?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

13. Tidbit

Tidbit

Now was this going to be built from SonicCD1, or from a different Sonic engine?

14. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    <!--quoteo(post=390970:date=Jan 1 2010, 06:25 PM:name=Tidbit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tidbit @ Jan 1 2010, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=390970">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now was this going to be built from SonicCD1, or from a different Sonic engine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sonic 2 engine

15. Tidbit

Tidbit

Oh, thats a good idea I suppose. Considering that SCD and S2 were being built around the same time.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Nice ideas coming along.

Actually one concept I've thought would be interesting in Sonic CD's time travel concept is a sorta 'Dark' mode, where you actually TRY to make Robotnik's robotic utopia. Say, play as Metal Sonic or such, and assist or construct the same devices Sonic destroys, creating a Bad Future (or in your case a 'Good Future'), said obstacles could also be reversed, Eggman minions would obviously not attack you but some Sonic-allied anthros that are dancing around in Sonic's story may turn rabid on an evil alliance.

This could be even more interesting in a multi player where you could set a Future 'handicap' according to one of the players.

17. I like the idea of a totally new but somewhat related game. Even though the original is great, I personally would not get a game when it was basically the original "with a new base coat."

18. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Misfit
    <!--quoteo(post=391117:date=Jan 1 2010, 10:19 PM:name=E-122-Psi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Jan 1 2010, 10:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=391117">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually one concept I've thought would be interesting in Sonic CD's time travel concept is a sorta 'Dark' mode, where you actually TRY to make Robotnik's robotic utopia. Say, play as Metal Sonic or such, and assist or construct the same devices Sonic destroys, creating a Bad Future (or in your case a 'Good Future'), said obstacles could also be reversed, Eggman minions would obviously not attack you but some Sonic-allied anthros that are dancing around in Sonic's story may turn rabid on an evil alliance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Save that for the Prequel Project.

19. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I really like the act transitions idea.

As much as I like the playable Super Sonic idea, I do think it would completely destroy the Sonic CD sequal atmosphere ... saying that however would it be possible to have a Super Sonic for only 1 level sort of ordeal ... like the final boss.

This could be done with chaos emeralds or some kind of alternate Super Sonic time stone related transformation. I don't know if this would be epic like Doomsday zone (imagining that you couldnt play as super / hyper in S3&K in normal levels) or complete fail like the majority of modern sonic games. However I still don't know if this would completely destroy the Sonic CD atmosphere.

Also, would it be possible to give Metal Sonic a more predominant role in the game because when I played SCD for the first time I was excited to see Metal Sonic in Collision Chaos Zone and then more excited to see him as Stardust Speedway Zone's boss but then to suddenly see him hit that wall and that was the end of him until Sonic Heroes, it really dissapointed me.

I always seen Metal Sonic as this awesome robotic sonic that is equal in every way and an awesome boss idea ... then he hits a wall.

Just some random thoughts

20. ...You know what JUST hit me?!

If there was to be a Super form playable in all levels, then one of his abilities should be able to control time AT WILL! He could change time periods at anytime by going fast and holding A for Backward, or B for Forward! Of course it won't work if you don't have rings to pull it off!

They are the time stones after all!

Either that, or he could speed up or slow down time, giving him absolute control over his environment at certain points. It could cost rings so as to not be OP. :P

But anyways...yeah. The Super Form should haver a time based power if there is one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.