don't click here

Sonic Boost

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Ben™, Mar 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ben™

Ben™

Level 29 Pun Knight Member
    Sonic Boost is a Sonic fangame made by me using the Scratch programming language. I built the engine myself, as it's just a modification of my old engine with a momentum mechanic added in. The game is not finished yet, it's still in beta. I haven't even finished act 2 of zone 1 yet, but I'm making rapid progress (in my opinion) towards finishing the game. I have some experience in Scratch, but making a Sonic game seemed like a daunting task, so I'm glad that I'm working as well as I am. Depending on how long it takes to finish the first three zones, I might end it at zone 4 or go all the way and make eight full zones, each with two acts and a special act. Currently, the version of the game uploaded to Scratch is Beta version 0.2.1, and it has one zone with one complete act and 10 screens total. I still haven't figured out how to make a good 2D fluid scrolling engine yet, much less with Sonic physics, so I had to settle with moving to the next screen (internally named "Areas") once you reach the right edge. Most graphics that have not been ripped from official Sonic games are probably temporary, as all screens and backgrounds were drawn with my... lackluster (to say the least) art "skills" in the built in Scratch paint editor, so don't expect it to look very good.
    Play the game here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/380542786/
    Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I can't play the game right now, but having had experience with Scratch, my biggest recommendation is to switch engines. Scratch is way too limiting for even the simplest of Sonic games, IMHO. I suggest you switch either to GameMaker Studio or Clickteam Fusion 2.5, as there are great Sonic templates for both.
    As for the level art: to start, I suggest you put your tilesets together by editing/mashing together tilesets that already exist. Standardized tile templates exist (look up DarkVampireDee, he made those) so you can use those too if you want to.
    These are just my two cents, if you are comfortable with Scratch then stick to it. Good luck either way!

3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Holy shit, that takes me back. A weird-ass community that had all the atmosphere of deviantart with moderation to keep from the fetishes seeping in.

Yeah, scratch can make b-tier newgrounds flash games at best. I would highly recommend switching to something else if you want to make something more like your After the Sequels or your Overtures, etc.