don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I remember being really surprised when I first found that out; her accent still manages to sound really unlike any Australian accent I've heard (though I admit I've never been there myself). Was she attempting and failing to do an American accent or something, or is that just a region that is less represented in the media?

FWIW, Vanille isn't written particularly Australian at all. Like most of the characters, her writing is too bland to give characters things like deliberate ethnic inspiration. Any Australian in her comes solely from the voice itself.

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I personally don't care if that character is Marine. This is an alternative universe for Sonic/sort of a reboot, so they could always make huge changes to her personality to make her less annoying. At least her character design is more interesting.

3. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Another poster leak has occured. + - Everything is Awesome...  
    [​IMG]

Here's my question though: Is Sonic Boom airing on Disney XD in other countries? That would explain why this poster has LEGO Star Wars minifigures behind Sonic & Tails.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    As far as I know, no.

Also, you really haven't considered that the guy taking these pictures probably printed these out themselves?

5. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    The only thing that's keeping it in the realms of legit is that I don't think we've seen those character renders before, or at least we don't have clear enough ones to shop them into the background of things. The only other reason I'm not dismissing it is because I'm not about to underestimate what Sega is capable of anymore. :v:

Regardless that render makes Sonic look good. Aside from the scarf color, tape, and my irrational hate of the blue arms, it's a decent enough look. I'm hoping the game models aren't nearly as garbage as they were in the reveal.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lDHkHFRzrE

This kid just unknowingly unleashed hell by not saying where he got this from. Also, Mike Pollock has commented on the video. He can't say what the name of the character is though, for those wondering because NDA.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I blame that on FF13 being a poorly written pile of junk more than the actress. :v:/> It's just a neat touch they've done since FF12 to use different English dialects, like how Vaan and Penelo, as peasants, spoke U.S. English, the aristocrats spoke with normal English, the bandits with semi-cockney accents, and the Viera with what sounds like Icelandic English accents. IIRC (and I'm probably wrong), Vanille and Fang spoke with a Kansai accent in the Japanese version.

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Oh of COURSE they added a fancharacter. Or is that Marine. I couldn't give a shit less.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    How is it a fan character if it's official? It's no different than Archie creating characters for it's own universe.

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    What's funnier is people are upset there's been no sign of Blaze or Shadow.

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    The same way that Sonic Chronicles is official fanfiction.

12. u wot, m8

13. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Received Pronunciation, I assume

14. Felik

Felik

So from what I've read from YT comments, Mike pretty much confirmed it's official.

Actually I'm still wondering how much of a gimmick those electric whips gonna be and how fast they are gonna get old.

15. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I'm guessing the whips are purely there because of merchandizing. They'll probably be more generic teather things/communicators/other gadget doodads. If they feature it heavily in the game and the show then I would imagine they'll be pettling a toy to go with it.

16. Felik

Felik

I hope that "Marine" is not the "relatable" character.

17. ELS

ELS

I almost feel bad making my very first Sonic Retro post this but I can't hold back.

Sonic Boom... looks terrible, not only the character designs. The levels look lifeless, what we've seen of the game mechanics looks generic and not very Sonic-ish at all.

I just don't understand why they had to use every tired American game tradition ever and paste it onto Sonic. To think the TV show may have used the real designs? That makes me upset, I'd have watched it then.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I don't think that we've seen enough gameplay to judge the mechanics yet. We've only seen some very small bits.

19. ELS

ELS

I know we haven't seen much but the snippets they did show were things like "use Knuckles to climb this grate Mario style" "Use 2 characters to hit a switch and open a door" and so on.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    How is the first a tired American gaming trope if it's from a Japanese game? :v: Also, the latter is just taken from a screenshot in which it was kind of unclear of what was being done. Besides that, we've also seen "Amy swinging around pipes using her hammer", "Sonic hanging on a thing that carries him through Not-Sky Sanctuary" and "Sonic running on a big open lake". Those are hardly standard game design tropes.

Yeah, the game will have standard game design tropes. But pretty much every game ever has them, so either you hate almost every single game ever or you're just being too negative. I get that there are things to be skeptical about, especially with those new character designs and a developer that has yet too proof themselves of being not shit. But there being a couple of standard game design tropes isn't really something to be skeptical about.