don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    New interview with details about Sonic Team's involvement with this game and what Bob Rafei thinks of 3D platformers in the modern game industry: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/212869/What_goes_into_rebooting_Sonic_the_Hedgehog.php

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    At this rate I'm fairly sure that after the first few episodes of Boom we'll probably be able to make a decent drinking game that involves sports tape in some fashion.

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    In short, they want that elusive Skylanders demographic of kids to love their game, so they're gonna make characters that stylistically resemble Activision's overlymarketed (which is the main reason the latter is successful) piece of kid friendly pie.

Fortunately, that does not mean they're not taking the game development seriously. Merely that westernized humorous stories to them resembles the things you'd see in such big toy based game franchises. Old fans can enjoy the game too, but we're barely a target at all this time.

4. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Only if you want a liver transplant by the end of the first season, by the looks of it.

5. Puma

Puma

It's strange to see 'Marine' there, it's honestly odd to think that they'd include a once-only Rush character in the game/series. Might I ask where that image came from? Would that be regarding the game, TV series, or both?

Anyway, surprised several other oddities within the screenshot weren't pointed out. Here are a few:

[​IMG]XBox One and PS4 boxes visible in corner

[​IMG]Various game controllers.
    (They're probably going to do that thing where an entry in the series starts on one console and the sequel appears on another.)

[​IMG]There's a WiiU.

[​IMG]This Character looks like she was rejected from some Duck Tales/Goofy Disney show.

[​IMG](Changed perspective to flat) ...And she's missing her right arm, it seems. She looks rather familiar.

I don't know why, but the female character seen on the bottom-right of the board, as above, seemed familiar, so I decided to draw her up quickly and see if she rang a bell:
    External image

Not the best art in the world, but pretty good considering it's based off an image seen from such a rough angle. Drawn in roughly two minutes with a pencil used by kinder-gardeners. I feel as though she's been in some other sonic-related publication? (For the record - She bears resemblance to a character regarding something entirely unrelated I had designed, perhaps that's why I think so)

Nothing else to report other than white socks with converse shoes.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    This image has been around for weeks, I even posted it over on Senntient.com last month around the 19th.

7. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    Did she really is Marine? She doesn't look like her... Where is her Raccoon tail?

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

We've not seen it in that size yet though, or at least it's gone completely under the radar of everyone here at Retro and SSMB. There were other pictures like this that we had in much smaller resolutions. Do you have those too?

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I think it's more that Bob Rafei's style (see Jak & Daxter) carries over into the new character designs rather than them trying to make it like Skylanders.

10. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    it's extremely unlikely that's Marine, the only similarities are that she's orange and apparently australian. She's not even a raccoon

11. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [LINK]

New information from Rafei of Big Red Button. He explains why they have sports tape and some other details about the game. Unfortunately for this team, if the game ends up be critically acclaimed, it'll still not sell that great unless the Wii U has a massive revival this year. I wonder if SEGA regrets getting in that three game deal with Nintendo, especially since this game isn't coming to Japan and the Wii U is doing the best in that country.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    New Eggman concept art from that article:
    [​IMG]

13. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    What's up with that collar? Who would wear that?
    At least the old Eggman design had his bottom lip showing.
    Otherwise, it's a neat design.

14. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    *ahem*
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes you see his mouth, sometimes you don't.

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I guess he's still an Eggman, just flipped over.

Of all physical things to change, the idea that Eggman is fat seems like a big one to mess with.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I never thought it mattered that he was fat. Just as long as he was a big dude.

It's his head that you can't change much. Do too much to it and he REALLY stops looking like Eggman.

17. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I would say Eggman and Knuckles are gym bros 4 lyfe, except friends don't let friends skip leg day.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    His collar is actually the one thing that's slightly different in the final design, he does show his entire mouth:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm-AFKUmFw

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Also worth mentioning a lot of the concept art is not 100% representative of the official models. (Example: Tails missing goggles and Sonic missing small spikes.)

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yeah, there's also Sonic wearing only gloves with no sports tape around them:
    [​IMG]