don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. nesboy43

nesboy43

Remember in 2010 when Sega said they were focusing on Sonic's quality and also would no longer print games that had bad metacritic scores?

We got 2 Sonic Racing games, Colors, and Generations. With Generations they really nailed it. Now what the hell happened?

Did Sega just want to finish up their Nintedo contract as fast as they could, and potentially ruin their star brand in the process?

2. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

...a shadow of his former self? :v:/>

I'm surprised something like that even made it into the credits.

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    One of the few things that are interesting here. Not in a romantic sense, but Knuckles and Amy being good friends.

4. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I'm playing it now, I rented it. It was only $1.30 to rent one night so why not?

...I've only played a few stages but I think it's better than Lost World? It's not THAT bad of a game. It sucks you have to hold a button to run but it's sure as fuck not dull as Lost World was.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    There's a line in the game where Knuckles asks for a hug, and Amy responds in a kind of 'no thanks' kind of way, with Knuckles sounding kind of dejected. It could just be kind of a friendly thing, but I took it as Knuckles possibly having feelings for her. Could have interpreted that wrong, and really it was a throw-away line anyway.

6. At least there IS an explanation in "Shattered Crystal". In "Rise of Lyric" Shadow literally just attacks Sonic in the most ridiculous Saturday-Morning-Cartoon manner possible (Complete with "friendship makes you weak!" speech) for NO REASON WHATSOEVER, other than apparently simply believing that he's right and Sonic can't beat Lyric.

Note that this is the "Sonic Boom" continuity, and there was some expectation that since the first episode on CN wasn't the "introductory" episode, that one of these games would be, or would at LEAST establish the character personalities in a way that makes sense. Yet not only are the games not good at introducing the characters or setting at ALL, but they're in fact CONTRADICTING EACH OTHER, EVEN AS THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO CONNECT TOGETHER.

7. MET∆TRON

MET∆TRON

USA
    Seeing how bad the new Sonic games are makes me sad. It feels like Sonic 06 all over again. I was wary at first after I saw the redesigned characters (Knuckles still scares me), but I tried to think positive.

But this, this just sucks.

Now the cartoon however, I enjoyed it a little bit. Was it as good as SatAM ans The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog? I don't think so. However it has it's funny moments. It certainly isn't the next Adventure Time or anything like that.

8. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Let's not pretend this is another Sonic '06, because at least this thing is playable. Clearly it's not a good game, but it's not a Sonic 2006. If Sonic Boom is like falling and breaking your leg at the entrance to DisneyLand, then Sonic 2006 is falling and breaking your leg at the entrance to DisneyLand AND blinding yourself permanently with freshly-coiled dog shit at the same time.

I've not played it myself, but I've been watching playthroughs on YouTube, and though it's a buggy game, Boom is complete-able without a huge amount of effort.

Now, I remember playing Sonic 2006, and I remember tripping over a rock on Wave Ocean and getting killed tonnes. I remember getting fucked by Silver, and by sliding off the world constantly in to the abyss. I remember the crap lifeless over world, and the horrendous loading times. I remember the disjointed storyline with embarrassing love scenes, terrible animation and voicing, and the unusual level designs bearing little likeness to anything Sonic-related beforehand.

[​IMG]

I remember.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  9. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Yeah, just jump over the entire game as Knuckles =V

10. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    "cool" DLC...
    [​IMG]

11. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
  12. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Let's be honest, this is probably the best DLC ever. Icees aren't exactly expensive at your local 7/11, they're delicious, and you get extra content for it. The question now becomes what kind of bland DLC is it that the only way it would sell was to give it away with an Icee?

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THIS DLC IS.

However, I lack a Wii U + relevant game so no use of me walking down to the 7/11.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffqe2qIfcOQ

LOL that all I needed to know.

15. Columind

Columind

Geistbox Member
    Music and Comics
    Here's where I'm willing to argue that Sonic 06 actually did have some moments of genuine intrigue to them. Not moments that stopped the game from being a travesty but still telltale signs of a game that actually had promise to it at some point.

A lot of people conceding Sonic Boom as a lesser title are well justified but I don't think that truly matters because there's a difference between being a bad game and being an offensive one. Sonic Boom is just a shitty tie-in spin-off that isn't reaching out to an audience any different than the one the new Pac-Man cartoons are. Sonic 06 tried to reinvent the entire franchise for a new generation, was the series' big 15th anniversary bang and was so proud of itself that it chose a title that in the company's eyes made it comparable to the original classic. Sonic 06 was the straw that broke the camel's back after years of dubious direction involved in the Sonic series.

In the grand scheme of things, even though people can make a good argument for why Sonic Boom is an arguably worse game than 06, no one's really going to care about the Sonic Boom games that much to label it anything more than a severe misfire. Sonic 06 was something that aimed to achieve something greater in the face of irrelevancy and crashed and burned the most inglorious way possible.

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    According to the facebook link billy posted, the DLC just gives you extra robot scraps at the start of the game.

17. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    So watching and reading reviews, it sounds like the soundtrack kind of sucks. Richard Jacques was responsible for the soundtrack, right? If so, I wonder what went wrong. He did such a great job with Sonic 3D Blast's and ASRT's soundtracks, along with some of the awesome remixes in Sonic Generations. o_O

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It was probably the direction they asked him to go in. It's incredibly dull, but the need for the awesome fast paced music is not really required in a game surrounded by slow, dull as hell combat.

19. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Aren't you thinking of Slurpees? I can't remember the last time I saw an Icee dispenser at any of the 7/11's near us.

...Also, because I'm broed, have a fake Slurpee promo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhaF1pjU1R8

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The only music I recall is the Worm Tunnel music from the 3DS game. It's a good track.