don't click here

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice (3DS, developed by Sanzaru)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jun 9, 2015.

1. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Not even angry, this Sonic is simply not for us. From what I heard the last 3DS game wasn't a broken mess like the Wii U one, just average kids fair like a licensed cartoon game. I'm sure their audience, kids, will enjoy it. Personally have no problem with something Sonic related not appealing to me at all anymore, I can wait.

Pretty obvious Sega isn't gonna just drop this "spin off" that they invested so much into, no matter what. Good luck with all that.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Having reviewed Shattered Crystal: I'd feel bad for any kid who got that game. It's no Rise of Lyric, but it's still incredibly boring and tedious.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't think anyone was ever seriously expecting that to happen. The concern was "when are we getting a Sonic game for us?"

Clearly this makes money. And it's less clear that Sonic games targeted at us bring in the kind of money Sega wants (I'd wager it doesn't). Hence the chorus of "it was a good run guys, but Sonic's pretty much done now".

I mean I know it's not exactly the same situation but...I'm getting Crash Bandicoot vibes. Have been since Boom was originally revealed.

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Watch those updated graphics be New 3DS specific.

Was there any consumer demand for this? Or, was it more "Look Sega, we [Sanzaru] made the less shitty Boom game. We have potential, give us another chance."

5. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Watch as nobody gives them another chance. Cause let's be honest, they don't deserve it.

Calling it that this game will be passable but not good by any stretch of the imagination at an absolute best.

7. Falk

Falk

Yeah, no.

8. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I'm hoping Sonic Team are using this 'Boom time' to actually not rush their next Sonic game. I'm perfectly happy to wait a year or two or three for a great Sonic game.

And if Sonic Team are not doing that, and are just going to make mobile phone games from now on, well fair enough, I'll just stick to being fascinated by Sonic's past and development (hence why I even hang out here) and not care about new developments anymore.

9. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Sonic Boom, as a sub-franchise, is not an inherently bad thing. I'm not going to get excited for this because I don't really trust Sanzaru to make a good game, but the idea behind it isn't a terrible one. In the hands of another, more talented dev, this is something I might keep an eye on.

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

To be fair, we complain as SEGA rush unfinished products out the door like they have since, well, forever.

Let's not get worried that they haven't released a main-line Sonic game since 2012 now, there's good reason.

11. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    Ooooooooh boy....

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Thing is, Sanzaru's not bad. Sly 4 was actually a pretty decent game.

But when they only get a year to shove out a shovelware game, you shouldn't expect much.

13. [​IMG]

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    We live in a timeline where a Sonic 3 remaster will likely never happen, but Sonic Boom 2 is allowed to exist. I don't even know anymore.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Well yea, it's only a game. It's not the end of the world.

I don't think "Sonic Team" are working on anything noteworthy though. Happy to be wrong about that, but it's a hunch.

16. Boring tropes.
    Shit physics.
    Wierd disconnected Lego foreground... blah blah blah...

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I said this on NeoGAF but SEGA (Of America) still thinks Boom needs to be promoted in their eyes, and the 3DS game didn't get as shit on as the Wii-U game, it was just boring and tedious but not a second coming of 2006 evil like Rise of Lyric was .

All in all this is a pretty good call if this game needs to exist.

18. After everything side from the TV show being pretty much a failure, why would they still want this to be promoted?

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So look at the tags on the post about this game on the official Sonic Tumblr: http://sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/121114781108/announcing-sonic-boom-fire-ice-for-nintendo

[​IMG]

Oh Ruby...

20. If anything I think it's proof that none of the criticism got through to them, I'm starting to believe more and more SEGA lives in their own bubble where all opinions outside of the staff are to be ignored.

It also might have to do with them thinking the brand can be salvaged, which would also be laughable, they didn't continue with Sonic '06 or make a sequel to it yet they actually want to go to the well again with Boom?