don't click here

Sonic Background Scrolling Screensaver

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, May 16, 2015.

1. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    I'm visualizing this on my Nexus 7, scrolling along with my home screens. That would be brilliant. I don't know the first thing about Android development, sadly.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I updated my screensaver folder with the latest archive and this still seems to be an issue for me. Anyone else?

3. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Ok, so I admit that I don't know enough about basic computer use anymore. Unzipping a file and running programs used to be easy... but its not anymore. Anybody know where I go from here? Im using a Mac and I downloaded that Mono program that was suggested, my computer also has parallel so I have Windows running also.

How do I make this screensaver work?

[​IMG]

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    You'll probably only be able to run it properly from a terminal.

To configure: mono SonicBGScrollSaver.scr
    To run: mono SonicBGScrollSaver.scr /s

Of course, you won't be able to do anything until you download and extract some levels into that folder.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Hey, it's been a while, but I got two new levels done: Hill Top Zone and Wing Fortress Zone.

I have no plans to do Metropolis Zone, because the scrolling is extremely basic and the animated tiles make implementation very complicated, and Sky Chase Zone is not happening because the background is impossible to extend vertically, so essentially I have now finished all of Sonic 2's levels.

Sadly, S3K levels are probably not happening soon, because the disassembly is not very well documented, and a lot of S3K's levels use tile reloading for fake layers, and look at how long HTZ took me to figure out (and I had to have MarkeyJester help me with it). SCD levels would require a good disassembly.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    HTZ crashes on my PC :(

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Sorry, forgot to change a setting on one of the png files.

8. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Didn't you use to just upscale backgrounds like SCZ? You know, zoom them in so you didn't have to extend them?

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If every possible resolution was an exact multiple of the background's size, that would work. Otherwise I'd have to round up and crop out part.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Works now. Thank you!