don't click here

Sonic Axiom game release thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by vexer, Sep 18, 2011.

1. vexer

vexer

I decided to make a thread for the release of my game. feel free to leave comments and feedback.

The game can be downloaded at the Sonic Axiom sage booth below.
    I hope you all enjoy.

Sonic Axiom sage booth

I have fixed the bug with the Glacial Galaxy boss and the rings remaining after
    bonus levels as well as other bugs and have posted two new links for these fixes on my sagebooth.

2. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Oh wow wasn't expecting this nice treat!

Downloading now, cannot wait to play it!

Edit: Game runs pretty well on my crappy little laptop. Got to Zone 3.

The level design is really good, reminds me of Sonic CD (which I imagine is what you were going for). Music is quite good too.

I haven't really found any bugs but there are a few places that could use a little polish, like the first boss and those screws in Zone 3.

The Zone 3 boss, though, was unfair in my opinion. I died not know exactly where to go. The water raises a tad too fast and the collision for it is above the water. I feel that Sonic should be able to dip his toes at least in the water.

Other than that the game is great! Feels like classic Sonic, of the CD variety.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I enjoyed this game at SAGE last year, mostly because it was the only fangame available with more than one level's worth of content.

I still think it's great, but I'd certainly be tempted to polish up the graphics and sound. You've got the smooth gameplay provided by the Sonic Worlds engine, but then choppy animations all over the place. But still, congratulations for actually finishing a fangame.

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I also got to level 3 and then got stuck on the boss. There's one particular jump that I just can't make. Drives me mad.

I've got to tell you though, Neon Night is a fantastic zone. I really loved it.

5. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    This game is absolutely brilliant. The level design perfectly captures the feel of Sonic CD but at the same time keeps it fresh. The expertly designed spring/bumper trap areas brought back many memories of hurling by gravis gamepad in frustration as a kid, and you've managed to not only bring back that same level of challenge but also made it just as satisfying to conquer. The music and graphics honestly and truly make me feel like I'm playing a game directed by Oshima himself. I've only gotten to the second boss, but I have to say when I saw the sheer size of the second boss I actually said out loud "oh my god". Absolutely superior art and design here.

Everyone involved with this game should be extremely proud. I really think SEGA should consider buying this and releasing it on the Retro engine.

PS. This game runs brilliantly in WINE, so don't hesitate to play this fellow Linux and Mac users

6. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    Played through the first two zones and I have to say this game is really neat.
    It definitely feels like a Sega CD game with the music and sound effects.
    I can't wait to play more.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Mac version? (I really got to get Windows back on my computer >>)

8. sonicyoda

sonicyoda

@Dark Sonic

9. It was all fun and games until Steel Station Act 3. That whole boss really needs some refinement. Otherwise, one of the best fan games released period! Superior in every way to the previously released Sonic Classic, it has better level design, music choice, (Is it custom? I've never heard most of the tracks before.) art direction, much less buggy, most everything is better! Except that boss. Haven't gotten past it yet. Axiom really is the greatest achievement the Sonic fan game community has had in a while.

EDIT: Just to make clear the only reason I'm comparing it to Classic is because it's pretty much the only other recently finished fan game out there. There's plenty of really promising ones but they're all one zone or one act stages.

10. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    This is one of the first fan-games I have actually sat down and played for more than 5 minutes. Good job! I'm also not going to go into comparing it to Classic.

The level disign was great! It kept me guessing and wasn't boring. The levels seemed to be pretty good sized too, not too long or short. My nitpicking would only be with graphics and sound. I like some of it, but then other parts seemed to clash. I wouldn't let that eat at you though considering its damn enjoyable.

11. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    You know, I bet if I looked at this with the eyes of a critic, I could find something to nitpick. But you know what? I was too busy playing the first good 2d Sonic game since Sonic Advance 2. I can't believe how few posts there are in this thread!

MAC USERS: Use this to "convert" this game to a Mac app http://wineskin.doh123.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads

I don't have OSX installed on anything but maybe someone could do this and post a Mac "binary"? I'd be happy to host it.

12. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    @True Dude: Before Steel Station act 3 I had 8 lives.
    That boss shot that count down to 1.
    Somehow, I was able to finish the stage on that last life.

That reminds me of another game that did something like that with bad water as an instant KO but I can't remember what it was.
    I might be just thinking of DKC/Land 2 and the CBF water tower scene.

13. Retroman

Retroman

This game, or should I say fan-game is the best ever! It looks so good I would mistake it as a sequel to Sonic CD!

I love the nostalgic music combining classic tunes with original tracks and the great combination of level art, backgrounds, sprites and alot of things!

Bugs/Lists of things to improve
    -Weird clipping bug where I was running fast and I went in the lamp-post. I was stuck in the top-left wall block and had to wait for the timer to go lol
    -The water physics of Sonic Worlds is rather slower then, say 'Sonic 1' and the water-code needs to be optimized/redone (maybe you can get an idea with sonic worlds' level collab thing)
    -Some collisions with enemies need to be widened
    -When I smashed into two boxes of rings at the same time (10 rings), I only got 10
    -1up doesn't play the 3rd time you get it (by 300 rings)
    -1st level, maybe you can add a sky and show the horizon? just a suggestion
    -Music doesn't loop smoothly
    -The First level's music is really... whats the word, repetitive?
    -First level should have a horizon view to show the scenery in a pseudo-sphere like shape (like looking at the end of a sea) and the mountains to be abit smaller (Oh and Sonic World 1.3 is gonna be released soon after the level collab (Source: SFGHQ forums)

Things I liked:
    -Retro, mixture of genesis ym2612 and electronica music
    -New sprites, sonic's falling animation
    -Level atmosphere
    -Great mix of enemies

Everything else was just awesome! If I show it to my cousin, who is the one who got me into Sonic CD, she'll mistake it for another sonic game!

One question, did you do this all by yourself? I haven't played all of it yet (I pressed shutdown on my laptop by accident :s)

14. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Real artists ship. :)

15. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    On Sandy Sinkhole Act 1

Now Jason Christ can be Super Jason Christ!

God damn those special stages raped me, but I LOVE this game so far. I'll report back when I'm done.

16. This is one of the best fangames to come out of this community yet. No Joke.

Spot on Physics, bugs are minimal, music choices are EXCELLENT, bosses are brand new and keep me guessing, levels are not the same ol' tropes, level gimmicks are used well, great difficulty curve, and the graphics are amazing for 16-bit style!

Only issue I'm having is with Steel Station's boss. Maybe you could slow the water down a hair?! Would make it ALOT easier.

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    If you use the peel out when the fight starts it's a piece of piss from there.

18. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Does anyone else feel like the minnows in Mineral Mine are trying to fucking kill you?

19. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Finished it! Fucking fantastic from beginning to end.

Don't get a big head over this Vexer, but while your levels were very expansive and long, they were for the most part an absolute joy to play - unlike some levels in Sonic 3K which are just big, bloated, ugly fucking pigs of levels (I'm looking at you Sandopolis). I did find myself blazing through a zone, and have often been surprised at the end of an act that it's taken me 4 minutes when it only felt like 90 seconds.

The highlights for me were definitely Sandy Sinkhole which absolutely destroys Sandopolis in my book, and (deep breath) Glacial Galaxy which is absolutely breathtaking, seriously wow! AWESOME, original looking zone, and the music is just so perfect for it. I thought while I was playing it that it was the final zone, only to be surprised by 2 more. I kinda wish Glacial Galaxy was the last, because Machine Mayhem is way too similar to Steel Station in my eyes (but still fantastic). I DID love the background during the final boss fight though, just awesome. For a moment I was fucking scared we were going into space like all other Sonic games, just because. But yeah, great final boss! It was very menacing looking, like the Big Arm boss was.

I must admit, I wasn't had at hello exactly. The first zone looked disgusting... like Green Hill covered with piss and vomit, I really don't think yellow is working out for it. The foreground colours for Riptide Relic don't work for me either.

What more can I say? It's a wonderful surprise to be playing something this fantastic out of the blue. It really felt like playing a new Classic Sonic game, with all the frustration, tiptoeing and trial and error to go with it. It's a game I look forward to playing again, great job!

As a fangame: 10/10
    As a game period: 8/10

20. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I didn't have any trouble with Steel Station's boss. After reading everyone's complaints about it yesterday, I was worried I'd get stuck there, but it was a piece of cake. Heck, it wasn't even as long of a sequence as the original Labyrinth boss, and the jumps weren't nearly as difficult to make.

Overall, Sonic Axiom makes me very happy, but I wish the framerate didn't chug and the objects weren't so stiff and clunky.