don't click here

Sonic Amateur Games Expo 2009

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by InstantSonic, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    So pretty much, it's on par with a demo release of almost any Sonic fan game.

2. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    The weirdness of badly programmed MMF fangames... *sigh* :(

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That Sonic Rebirth game looked fantastic from the videos and screenshots (and still does) but there's several problems

a) I don't think it's been bug-tested. At all. I mean okay the odd collision error here and there is understandable from a fangame programmed from scratch, but I've seen floating badniks, non-looping music and a few graphical flaws (including graphics identical to those of the real Sonic 1 which defeats the point a bit =P). It also manages to feel slower than the real Sonic 1 though I attribute some of that to my outdated PC and the fact that a lot of the original boring layouts were kept.

b) I had to download extra codecs to get the OGG music to play properly. And as said, even then it doesn't loop, and it's not a brilliant set of tracks. The 20MB download seems a bit of a rip-off. And it still resorts to horrible MIDIs for the "Act Clear" track.

c) The cutscenes are a bit poor. I'm not going to diss if English isn't the guy's first language but generally if you know you're not good with the language, it's better not to have cutscenes with text.

I've been around the block a bit and seen hundreds of fangames, and though this is by no means bad, I do feel a lot of it's problems would have been seen to and addressed with a bit of testing.

4. corneliab

corneliab

Can't say I experienced any of those problems. I was having trouble with the music at first, though that was because I wasn't using the Ogg folder INSIDE the other Ogg folder. The ogg version of the Act Clear music also doesn't seem to play, for some reason...

5. NHY

NHY

I just played some of Sonic Rebirth. Its looks well but seriously, why did the person remake Sonic 1 when most of us have the game in some shape or form? And what's with all the bugs? I can't even get OGG music to play! To be honest, its was very disappointing and I hadn't even seen any videos or screenshots! So, my opinion isn't clouded by hype.

Just goes to say that good looks don't make a good game.

6. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Surprised he didn't just Rom hack his new graphics rather than re-build the original game from scratch like that (though he does use a lot more colours than the Mega Drive can handle, I presume). It's alright but the sound effects are terrible, never liked the modern jump and spring noises, and getting a life is almost a punishment for the horrid racket it makes. I can't get the ogg files to work right either.

7. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

I've been only having problems with the .ogg files, and editing my control layout, I already found an exploit; it seems if you touch a checkpoint and die, your time is reset to 0:00, it really doesn't help at all since the grade you get at the end of the act doesn't save or matter at all.
    What's the point of a Grade at the end of each act if it doesn't do anything at all?

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    So when I get a game over it doesn't go back to the title screen, so I have to reset it, and then go reset the controller options.

I must admit, I am enjoying this so far, but I can agree on the handling and physics being wonky, and this is most noticeable in the Special Stages.

9. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    All I say is that is wasn't as solid as Sonic Zero remastered, but it was better than that failure of a GBA port.

10. The OGG Music pack for Rebirth isn't worth the time spent downloading it, it's terrible.

As for the game itself I haven't played it, so whatever!

11. corneliab

corneliab

You know, this game's really starting to grow on me. Once you get past the odd workings of the engine, it's a pretty neat little remake. I didn't think I would actually go back to it but I was curious about the MIDI music. Playing it on the default window screen makes it look much nicer as well.

The special stages are pretty nifty. I wonder if Super Sonic's playable (there are 7 emeralds in this as opposed to 6).

Also, here's an updated version that fixes the looping issue and is apparently more stable.

EDIT: Just got all the emeralds, and Super Sonic is indeed playable. Looking back, I could have just looked at the music titles to confirm this. :v:

12. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
  13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Heads up, guys—SAGE has been extended by three more days! It now ends on Monday instead of today. Feel free to enjoy the extra festivities! :)

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Why exactly?

15. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Poor Sonic Rebirth. I was really looking forward to it, too. I was hoping it would be something like a "Sonic 1 Complete", with the 8-bit levels mixed in to make a longer game.

I've written up my thoughts on it (and a few other SAGE showings) on my Blog. The link's in my sig. *shot for shameless plug*

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Awesome, there were still some fangames I wanted to try out which I didn't try out yet last week for some reason.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Three days? Well... that's quite generous. Wonder what's up, other than Dom coming back and Sonic and the Death Cheese 2: HD.

18. AndyRolo

AndyRolo

Wolverhampton, UK
    Back from working abroard. Gunna get back in to hacking then i'll start working on somthing proper.
    I wonder if it's because there are a few surprise games being released. Glad it's been extended though. I woke up this morning and one of my first thoughts was "damn SAGE finishes today".

19. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I had one look at the page last week and that was it, maybe I should be less harsh on sage and actually download something which looks better then trash.

*edit* I changed my mind, I won't

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.