Sonic Adventure Sega Saturn Prototype

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RDNexus, May 29, 2018.

1. RDNexus

RDNexus

And that's the funny part, because that'd mean the Angel Island would've been down for quite a nice while. Buildings aren't built in a day.
    My guess is that it was more of an aesthetic thing from the developers' side, so as to make it nicer to look at or something like that.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's like gazing into the good timeline. D:

EDIT: Waitwaitwait, now that I've read through the whole thread... We don't know if this is from the Saturn version or even if that's Classic Sonic in there?

3. RDNexus

RDNexus

The thing is, I created the thread before checking the new intel that was in the Development Section of SA1, about what transpired until it was decided the project would go to the DreamCast and become SA1. At best, the Saturn Models served as placeholders until it was decided a modern makeup would be made to the characters.

4. SystemsReady

SystemsReady

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing At Any Given Moment Member
    The Twin Cities
    trying to not fall asleep while writing Selenium tests
    it looks like the Sky Chase model of Sonic in the original SA that they accidentally left in :v:

5. Turbohog

Turbohog

They lower poly models were used intentionally due to hardware limitations. It wasn't an accident.

6. RDNexus

RDNexus

It was intentional? For what purpose? Easter Egg or something?

7. Woofmute

Woofmute

Y and -Y and XYZ-X-Y-Z. Member
    Hacking and researching Rez.
    there is that one but i meant the one that looks like a mock-up of the tornado section of windy valley

8. Pengi

Pengi

There's even an explorer NPC who says that the mountain (the one with the cave/updraft) suddenly appeared overnight.

And Knuckles' opening scene has the bridge and snowpeaked mountains visible whilst Angel Island is in the sky.

9. Xilla

Xilla

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep Member
    Is there not a map screen in DX which shows the mountain area as indeed being Angel Island? (With Mystic Ruin simply being the area where Tails' workshop/Windy Valley is)

10. RDNexus

RDNexus

Even in SA1 DC Website, back then, the area regarding IceCap, Red Mountain and Emerald Altar were considered Angel Island.

DC Version [(A) Station Area, (B) Angel Island, (C) Jungle Area]

DX Version

The links are from Sonic News Network. For some reason, I couldn't put the images themselves.

11. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    This is correct. The japanese Sonic Adventure 1 guidebook had a lot more story information that cleared up that bit of plot. I swear Retro or somewhere used to have a translation, similar to the extra story that was in the JP SA2 guidebook.

12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    There is a translation here

13. RDNexus

RDNexus

Just now did I notice that the same member that posted those images from the OP, @Sonikko, posted a while ago a couple images of the storyboard of SA1's first scene:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Given that Sonic's design is still the classic one, one could deduce that said storyboard was also made before the character designs' makeover, I guess?

This sure makes it seem they kept the classic designs for a nice while during production of the game.

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Improving my art and studying Japanese
    Maybe they dropped this storyboard because it was too hard to animate, but damn does it look cool. Totally better than the cutscene we got imo.

15. RDNexus

RDNexus

They probably had to make do with what they had of Aventure Field for the scene.
    Is it me or has that storyboard been used for Sonic X's version of that scene?

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    It's just you, I'm afraid - in the Sonic X version, Sonic is perched atop a building, spots police cars and helicopters heading down the street, then we cut to the police facing off with Chaos, who is cornered beneath a manhole. In the storyboard above, he's in the middle of the street, gets jumped on by Chaos who's actively fleeing the police, and then has to dodge and jump over the police cars that are in pursuit. Pretty different series of events - the original storyboard is much more action-packed than either later interpretation!

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

Thanks for reminding me. I saw Sonic X long ago, and try to avoid it due to it's quality, hence my poor memory of that scene.

Well, after all this time, nobody has shown up here that might've been at the venue and watched that presentation. That's too bad.

18. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

rawr Member
    sonic crackers research, md homebrew dev, other dumb shit
    If only the scene in the storyboard had seen an animation done by Toei in the style of the Sonic CD ending cutscene. It fits the mold, for sure.

19. i went ahead and translated the most important line of that storyboard
    [​IMG]
    (i didnt actually translate it)

20. Hitlersaurus Christ

Hitlersaurus Christ

Not a nazi, maybe Jesus, definitely a dinosaur Member
    glorious nippon
    SNOIC GENERATONS PLUS
    “diajlogye”