don't click here

Sonic Adventure DX (Preview) Discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by Sazpaimon, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I thought Saz just programmed it to follow the Tornado, so was limited to the Tornado's speed?

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Nono, I know that, but there's a difference between 30fps (visually choppy, but still running at the same speed) and whatever slowdown that was in that video.

Maybe this kind of slowdown is why the original SA ran at 30fps? I remember reading that it was intended to run at 60fps, but that didn't happen until SADX.
    ...you can't program something with debug mode—it's already programmed. It was explicitly programmed to follow the player.

3. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    facepalm.jpg

Pola is the Uni-uni enemy from Launch Base. I assume that's what Tweaker meant by Orbinaut (if I still remember my US enemy names correctly). The Hill Top fire Unidus enemy is called Gola, and is the same enemy as in Sonic Adventure (of note is also Unidus which has returned from Sonic 1 in a brand new black coat).

4. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Did anyone ever check for sure that this wasn't left in the PC version at all? Seeing as there wasn't too much of an interest in hacking the PC version (aside from a few people), it could have been overlooked.

5. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Did anyone check the missile/rocket that Eggman launches in Tails last level? I remember someone found the 3D model of a boss in it. It may be in this preview?
    And about Cream, have they already put her model in the game or was it a last minute add?

6. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    FWIW, metal sonic isn't even in this build, so I assume cream isn't either
    And can I get some more info on that Tails thing?

7. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    You're right, I'm a dumbass. I dunno what I was thinking when I posted that. XP

Presumably then it moved faster at some point - after all, it doesn't breathe fire in-GC, does it? Only in that one screenshot.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I looked at that video again and it seems the "fire" came from missiles elsewhere, and not from the dragon. It doesn't ever appear to do anything other than fly.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Oh.

Well, that's a bit lame. =P Presumably had they actually gone anywhere further with it it would have actually done something of interest =P

10. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
  11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I've looked all over inside the missle and even the building it hits. I never saw anything like that.

Also, the object debugger might still be in the Dreamcast version. There are still object names inside the PRS files, which uncompressed, are inside the .bin files. But for some reason these lists are a lot shorter, to me at least.

12. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    The missile with the robot inside isn't the one in Speed Highway, it's the one in the sequence where Eggman first fires it. Maybe Egg Walker (or a different final boss for Tails) was supposed to come out from inside at one point.

13. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Oh.

Well, I'm trying to get the Object debug running while in a cutscene. But pressing Start just skips the cutscene as soon as it enters the debug. And the rocket object doesn't appear on the list either. However, there is an object that freezes the game called "SATO" or something like that, but that isn't the rocket. Hmm...

If I can just figure out how to use the Object debug without having to press Start, then I might be able to see what's inside the rocket. Pressing A, or anything else doesn't allow me to select it.

14. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Or you can use Debug Camera mode :P. I tried that and didn't find anything inside the missile during the cutscene, it's just hollow. The thing is too small to have anything inside it anyway.

15. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    I personally think that thing looks like a few different things that just happen to be, for some reason, stored in the same place, because looking at it, the legs and such look seriously out of place. But hey, what do I know?

16. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I think I know what happened here. The only way to get SADX models is from the PC version, which I think you need to view the .EXE in 3DS I think? I don't remember, but if you do, you get a mash of models. I guess when he found the rocket model he looked to see if anything was inside of it and there it is - you can make out Eggman's little pod, and also the final boss for Tails (Sorta, I recognized the feet right away).

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Maybe, but like I said it could just be a quick Panzer Dragoon tribute, since the whole stage is to begin with.

18. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    [​IMG]
    I found this when messing around with Tails' boss. It's in SA1 DC as well, why nobody has noticed it before is beyond me.

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Wow, I wonder what the fuck that was supposed to be. Though I guess it's just like the little joke posters in SA2.

20. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    That looks like it could've been a good movie. :P

Anyway, just for shits and giggles, here's a list of files that are in the preview and not in the final:

_Al_main.rel
    a_motD.rel
    action_11.pvr
    AdvertizeD.rel
    AdvMain.rel
    AdvMainD.rel
    al_garden00.rel
    al_garden01.rel
    al_garden02.rel
    al_race.rel
    b_motD.rel
    e_motD.rel
    GCAX.conf
    k_motD.rel
    map_mr.gvm
    MovieD.rel
    obj_regular._GVM
    PrmMi0100S.bin
    s_motD.rel
    SetMi00.bin
    SetMi0100S.bin
    stg00D.rel
    stg01D.rel
    stg03D.rel
    summaryD.rel
    tikal_progD.rel
    ƒRƒs[ ` amy.GVM
    ƒRƒs[ (5) ` amy.GVM
    ƒRƒs[ (4) ` amy.GVM
    ƒRƒs[ (3) ` amy.GVM
    ƒRƒs[ (2) ` amy.GVM

All those amy.GVMs are all the same file size with nothing changed. The maps in this build look like they were put together really fast, but I guess at one point each map was it's own GVM. I think in the final all the maps are in one GVM. In this build, there are only maps for Station Square and Mystic Ruins. It's strange to find action_11.pvr because it's the only pvr in the entire GCM, and there is no action stage 11 (internally, there're only 11 Stages but surprisingly the last stage is labeled number"12" because for some reason there is no Stage_11.rel anywhere). I could be blowing this out of proportion though since there is a .gvr of this in the final, but it's strange that it's in a .pvr in this build and all the other action_ files are already in .gvr anyway. I'm getting the set files are files for object placement, but I could be wrong. I'm think these are two things - 1.) A removed area (I wish that were true) or 2.) it's more than likely set files for the Missions.

I looked inside anything marked with D and couldn't find any ASCII text, but it should be used for debug.

That's all that interests me from the outside. I'd really love to decompress these GVMs, they don't look different from PVMs except for a view header changes I think. Would be awsome if someone could whip up something before I do. :P