don't click here

Sonic Adventure (DC) can run on the Galaxy S

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by PicklePower, Dec 16, 2010.

1. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Just thought this was interesting. Someone's working on a <a href="http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/15/android-dreamcast-emulator-nulldce-gets-early-video-preview-sti/" target="_blank">Dreamcast emulator for Android</a>:

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PWOs8NxzB6U&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PWOs8NxzB6U&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2--><!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPKdQayVlBc&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPKdQayVlBc&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

Unfortunately, these games will never be easy to play on a touchscreen. I would imagine that this would be more playable on phones with physical keyboards, though. Makes you also wonder what the iPhone 4 is capable of as far as emulation goes.

2. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    <!--quoteo(post=538834:date=Dec 15 2010, 09:47 PM:name=PicklePower)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PicklePower @ Dec 15 2010, 09:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538834">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Makes you also wonder what the iPhone 4 is capable of as far as emulation goes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, the raw specs of the iPhone 4 and the Galaxy S series of phones are pretty close. The Hummingbird processor used in the Galaxy S is a more advanced variant of the same basic design that the Apple A4 uses. The GPU employed on the Galaxy S is a step newer than the one employed on the iPhone 4, but it is of the same company, and provides only 2-5FPS more performance than the iPhone 4. They provide the same amount of RAM too.

If you want a good idea of how well the iPhone 4 could do the same thing, the Galaxy S is a pretty good indicator. Just drop 5FPS from the graphics and you pretty much have the same performance that the iPhone 4 would get.

3. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Notice that this is also an early beta, no sound yet.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    And yet, we PC people have a barely working dreamcast emulator.

Still, guess its nice having a mini DC emulator. hope its easier to use then the PC one.

5. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=539005:date=Dec 16 2010, 03:51 PM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Dec 16 2010, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539005">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And yet, we PC people have a barely working dreamcast emulator.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wut? There's multiple PC Dreamcast emulators that work fine. Demul has shitty sound emulation but besides that works pretty nice, and NullDC is pretty good now that it's open source.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    <!--quoteo(post=539007:date=Dec 16 2010, 02:07 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Dec 16 2010, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539007">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=539005:date=Dec 16 2010, 03:51 PM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Dec 16 2010, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539005">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And yet, we PC people have a barely working dreamcast emulator.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wut? There's multiple PC Dreamcast emulators that work fine. Demul has shitty sound emulation but besides that works pretty nice, and NullDC is pretty good now that it's open source.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Does NullDC have controller support yet?

Oh and to stay on topic, that's pretty cool I suppose. Shame I don't have a phone that doesn't suck ass.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    <!--quoteo(post=539007:date=Dec 16 2010, 09:07 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Dec 16 2010, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539007">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wut? There's multiple PC Dreamcast emulators that work fine. Demul has shitty sound emulation but besides that works pretty nice, and NullDC is pretty good now that it's open source.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mind telling me how to get Demul actually working?

8. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=538840:date=Dec 15 2010, 10:12 PM:name=Maxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maxd @ Dec 15 2010, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=538840">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Notice that this is also an early beta, no sound yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's going to be very difficult for them to do sound on this if they actually make it to that point. The iPhone 4 (which has similar specs to the Galaxy, as mentioned already in this thread) cannot emulate the AICA hardware at full speed using the Audio Overload SDK engine, which is slightly more optimized than nullDC's audio plugin was. It's not that the hardware is very complicated, it's not, but the biggest problem is the mixer. Mixing up to 64 samples at 44.1khz means that the emulator needs to process up to 3 million samples a second, plus handling ADPCM decoding, decay, etc. That's not even including the DSP emulation, which honestly doesn't make much difference if you skip that because NullDC didn't support it in the closed-source versions and it was fine. Of course, the AOSDK is written in C (but well optimized, IMO) so I think they could easily get full speed from the sound by writing that in ARM ASM but definitely not with the DC hardware at the same time if their current performance is any indication.

Not to dash anyone's hopes, I'm sure we're only another year or two away from a phone that can do it.

<span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">(If you're wondering why I know this, I took the source to that open source chiptune player for iPhone and enabled DSF playback on it. After adding a series of hacks to underclock the CPU, play the audio at a lower sample rate, and disable some of the hardware, I was able to get most of the music from Shenmue 2 playing back full speed but it still struggled with anything that used a lot of channels. I never went any further than that though.)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

9. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=539013:date=Dec 16 2010, 04:33 PM:name=DigitalDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DigitalDuck @ Dec 16 2010, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539013">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=539007:date=Dec 16 2010, 09:07 PM:name=Polygon Jim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Polygon Jim @ Dec 16 2010, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539007">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wut? There's multiple PC Dreamcast emulators that work fine. Demul has shitty sound emulation but besides that works pretty nice, and NullDC is pretty good now that it's open source.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mind telling me how to get Demul actually working?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You just need to put the bios in a file called dc.zip with all the bios versions in it, and put it in a folder named roms in the emulator root folder(for the newest version anyway, in the old versions the zip goes in the root directory IIRC.) You can find downloads for dc.zip if you don't feel like making it yourself. Besides that the rest is very straightforward.

10. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    <!--quoteo(post=539012:date=Dec 16 2010, 07:24 PM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Dec 16 2010, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539012">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does NullDC have controller support yet?

Oh and to stay on topic, that's pretty cool I suppose. Shame I don't have a phone that doesn't suck ass.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, however you have to use the PuruPuru Input plugin. Not the default one.

nullDC is almost perfect for DC right now (except for some details and stuff), Makaron and Demul are great for Naomi / Naomi 2 / Atomiswave.

11. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Fuck. YES. My phone is both a Galaxy S AND has a keyboard. :)

12. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I hope this works on the HTC Desire :D