don't click here

Sonic Adventure 8

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Stonerboy, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

Yet another pirated turd has surfaced in the form of Sonic Adventure 8. If you thought Sonic Adventure 7 was exciting, just wait till you get your hands on this!

Download here

box and manual scans to come.

Please note: I can't get this rom to work with any emulators beyond having the intro music play, but I suspect this is due to poor programming rather than a bad dump. I've tried dumping this cart multiple times and I've wound up with the same result, so good luck getting it to work. I know the cart I have runs perfectly on actual hardware, and if I remember correctly Sonic Adventure 7 and/or Sonic 3D Blast 5 had to be edited in order to work (somewhat) properly. Also, I've left the rom with its original dump title of “Sonic7”. I guess the pirates were too lazy to change it. If anyone can either fix the rom or tell me how to fix it, I'd appreciate it and will amend this post as required.

2. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    edit: bin plz nvm

3. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Kills my emulator, but the name sounds pretty familiar; I had a shitload of Sonic pirates back in the day. I could just be mistaking it for SA7 though. <_<
    Someone needs to dump Sonic 3 Fighter Sonic. Good (awful) memories of that shit.

4. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    So is this game just a title hack of Sonic Adventure 7, or is it a completely different game?

I've been curious about this ever since I saw this pic

[​IMG]

5. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

It seems to be a tiny little bit more than a title hack. The level order has been changed, with the "Flying Battery Zone" inspired level being the first. Not sure if the level layout or "music" is different, or if there have been any changes in the (appalling) physics.

The box art was what caught my interest too. Here's my copy:
    [​IMG]

6. Shitty hack of a pirated piece of crap fangame or not, I like the boxart.

Geez, where do people come up with these names? I must have missed Adventure 3 through 6.

7. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Sounds like level order was changed and that's it. Damn Yong Yong :p

Did you get it from eBay?

8. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

yeah, got it with a couple of other yong yong pirates on eBay a couple months back; nothing else was really of interest though.

9. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I used the debugger in No$GMB, and the reason why it crashes in emulators is due to a global checksum error that is overlooked on real hardware. I compared both Sonic Adventure 7 and 8 in a hex editor, and both have the same ASCII text (SONIC 7).

10. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    So basically Adventure 8 is a sequel to Adventure 7 in the way that crappy hacks from a decade ago are sequels to Sonic 3?

11. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    VBA just showed a white screen, and screamed the Sonic and Knuckles title music at me for a while, then it crashed.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sonic Adventure 7 runs on most emulators, but Sonic 3D Blast 5 won't boot in a lot of the "big" emulators such as VisualBoy Advance. There are, however, a phenominal amount of "broken" pirate ROMs out there that won't boot up in anything but the real hardware.

Having said that, the last time VisualBoy Advance was updated was 2004. I really think the world's due for a replacement emulator that runs things properly. VisualBoy Advance doesn't like Aero Glass either so I think it's safe to say it's getting past its use-by date.

13. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I updated the Sonic Adventure 7 article with Sonic Adventure 8 info as it seems to be the same game. Feel free to add more info to it as it becomes available. Sonic Adventure 7

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Think that can be overlooked on emulators too?

15. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    dude I have always, ALWAYS wanted to play this. it seemed so amazingly bad based on descriptions, but I never, ever played it, or even saw footage, or even screenshots.

16. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Does rumble work?

17. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

As far as I can tell, no. I think it's either just for show, or my cart is broken.

18. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Oh Yong Yong. Your ending theme is my number one jam.

Strange that they'd use that extra plastic for rumble and not include it. Silly pirates.

19. Stonerboy

Stonerboy

Seems to have been a regular thing as far as the GBC yong yong pirates go, or at least for those in my collection. They probably just did it to attract buyers.
    [​IMG]

20. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Oh wow, the box art is from one of the old British Sonic game books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.