don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 XBLA

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Narstyle, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    The keeping time stopped thing is a genuine glitch, I've done it many a time on the Sonic section XD Makes finding the lost Chao easy without Mystic Melody even, with a well timed/positioned spindash-jump up to where it is. Also I've never done Final Rush that fast but have taken a few of those shortcuts before...though I had NO idea that running on those walls like that was possible o_O

2. Tyty

Tyty

KNUXEDO KAMEN Member
    ↑ & ↓ & ↻
    And the classic games were any better? :rolleyes:

I do think that the wallrunning glitch is really cool though. Looks like something Sonic would actually do in that situation.

3. While I was at Pax East this weekend, I spent some time with the PR guys at the SEGA booth. Sunday, while shutting down, I saw one of the guys I'd been talking to wearing a really stylish black hoodie with the dreamcast logo on the back with the text "still thinking". I asked him if they had those for sale, he said maybe soon, and when I asked if it was some sort of signal that we might be seeing more Dreamcast ports and rebirths in the future, he told me cheekily "I have nothing I can say at this time."

Made me think, "Hey, that sure sounds like a possibility."

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Most of this, (especially the wall running) looks like how Final Rush would play if it was remade in Generations.

This stage sort of demonstrates ways Knuckles/Rouge's play style could/should work. Accomplish the objective by going through the stage and finding whatever switch. Stages would be more open to allow for the climbing/gliding aspects to be used to find powerups, shortcuts, secrets etc. The Emerald Shards would be an extra objective.

5. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.

I'd expect "ports" of Dreamcast games, but what exactly defines a "rebirth" of one? Or were you just throwing out various words to try and bait him?
    Obviously it didn't quite work as one would hope... but it didn't not work either.

6. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Right here, under Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill (another attempt to best Sonic, I presume?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cancelled_Sega_Mega_Drive_games

7. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    A B rank? Sure, the player didn't get very many rings, but that's still a pretty damn harsh ranking system. Makes me sad that the ranking system in Generations is a complete joke.

>Beat the level in 59:04.
    >162 Rings
    >E Rank

WTF??? How is that possible?

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Killing enemies counts towards points, and there's a hell of a lot of enemies to kill in Tails and Eggman's sections that were completely skipped for time. Even in the other sections not a single enemy was destroyed that wasn't absolutely required.

9. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    When I first played this game, I always tried to speed-run through it all the time thinking it would get me an A rank, and wondered why it didn't.

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    In SA2, the ranking system is more strict in that you need to be fast and able to take down enemies efficiently... and in some cases, be good at keeping your Rings (rings themselves get you like 20 points a piece when picked up)

In later games, like Rush, Unleashed, and Generations, time became MUCH more important. The only modern game to really break this, as even Sonic 4 encourages faster times with an 80,000 point bonus for super fast times, is Sonic Colors, which encourages slow and explorative play using the Wisp abilities. But if you go too slow and take too long in a level, you get slapped with a Time Over bonus(?) which negates all bonus points.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Actually, killing enemies in Unleashed is important as well if you want an S rank:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SklhwTr3Ls

12. SSE

SSE

OWCH! Sharp.
    United States
    Sonic The Hedgehog Mega Blitz
    If SEGA was to make Sonic Adventure 2 available on XBLA and/or PSN, they would have to add new features. The problem with releasing the same game three times, such as Sonic Adventure, without major changes (other than, mabey, Sonic Adventure DX) is that many people have played it, and spending more money for pretty much the exact same game two or three times isn't logical. If they released Sonic Adventure 2 again, It should come with awesome new features (perhaps an online Chao World), updated graphics, and things like that. So if it was part enhancement and part new, and if it was priced reasonably, it could do well.

I would probably end up getting it, though.

13. Nova

Nova

I actually never had too much of a problem with the ranking system in SA2 - given that the game was far less about speed and boost than Generations is, I played SA2 far more 'stylishly' (ie Smooth runs rather than fast ones, killing as many enemies as stylishly as possible) whereas now, I play Sonic Generations and speedrun the hell out of it.

I think the ranking systems present in each game tend to fit the style of that game and the only one I recall having problems with was Colours' (Wii version, not the DS - that was easy). I hated it. Maybe I just like to speedrun too much now, but I just couldn't get most of the S-ranks in that game. :colbert:

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Speed and Rings are usually the biggest contributors for score there, especially since in a few levels getting over 500 rings (to about 1,000+ in Spagonia and Adabat) isn't terribly hard.

That, and most enemies just serve as obstacle to other paths or things to mow down because they're in the path of a supersonic boosting hedgehog, so they're more like free points anyway.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Rings are surprisingly significant contributors to score. There's more than once I've been hit by a cheap shot right at the end of the main act in Chu-Nan by the interceptor robot. Unfair and annoying, but at least S-ranks don't mean anything or serve to unlock stuff.

16. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Oh lord, I can't tell you guys how many times I've tried to hold my rings for a Max Score playthrough of Colors's Challenge Mode, only to rage-quit when I lost my rings over something stupid (for instance, there's a Sweet Mountain stage where you're BOOSTBOOSTBOOSTing along and the Boost wears off right before you fly into an Egg Pawn; if you're not hammering on the H.A. button, you're gonna get hit; also the SM boss is a great way to lose your rings, or any fucking time you decide to use the Drill Wisp, worst power-up ever).

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The first part of Terminal Velocity was pretty bad about that too -- didn't like it, for all the same reasons I wasn't super fond of Unleashed. At least it seems to have a fixed pattern, from what I can tell, unlike the Interceptor segments.

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Yeah, Terminal Velocity wins over Unleashed's chase scenes by far. The Interceptor was a cheap piece of shit, but they must have noticed because you can use legitimate knowledge and skill to dodge the giant Spikes in Colors, rather than the dumb luck you need to get past the Interceptor unharmed. The bombs on the track were the least of my worries, but that laser's collision is all over the place and you can't dodge its melee attack at all. Doesn't help that no matter how fast you're already going, the game seems inconsistent on when it starts chasing you between playthroughs. Sometimes you start pretty far ahead of it, and sometimes it comes right at you with that arm attack. Maybe I just "don't get it" or whatever, but if there was one thing about Unleashed that made me ragequit, it was that stupid thing.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

You're all joking right? The interceptor was perfectly fine, since the bombs weren't really a threat. Boost-jump-boost-jump, and you can control Sonic's movement in mid-air. You can use this to avoid the laser. On the contrary, I thought the Colors Interceptor was terrible.