don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Turbohog, Feb 20, 2012.

1. flarn2006

flarn2006

Speaking of the noclip mode, do you have any idea how to get it to work for treasure hunting characters?

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    It probably involves coding the action from scratch.
    ----
    I recently found the arrays that dictate how much each item gives your Chao in each stat.
    Each item lists the following stats as 2 byte signed integers: Mood (Unused), Belly (Unused), Swim, Fly, Run, Power, Stamina, Luck, Intelligence, Unknown (Unused?).
    Animals and Chaos Drives have 26 items starting at 4A4A40 (8A6240 RAM), Fruits have 24 items starting at 4A4C48 (8A6448 RAM).
    Since these affect the 'fraction' fields, the maximum value you can use safely is 100, or you could end up with overflows. However for fruit, each bite of the fruit gives 1/4 of the total, so you can have up to 400, and each bite will give 100.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    "Mood" and "Belly" stats? Those are the SADV chao garden stats! thats pretty cool to know that those stats were in there once.

Can the "Mood" and "Belly" stats be reimplemented?

4. flarn2006

flarn2006

Couldn't you just have it execute the same code as it would if you were playing as Sonic?

5. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    I think Fusion already Cracked that code a long time ago.

6. Fusion

Fusion

Fusion's Chao Editor
    As requested...

Fusion's Chao Editor 2.0 released!

I'm now releasing the second version of my editor. The biggest change is that I've added support for the Steam version of Sonic Adventure DX, as well as the recently released Sonic Adventure 2 (also on Steam). I've therefore renamed the program from Fusion's SADX PC Chao Editor to simply Fusion's Chao Editor.

There are also many more settings available now, including chao personality, health, classroom skills, toys, seeds, and more. Most of these new settings work on both SADX and SA2B, as SADX seems to be aware of most of SA2B's content. So for example, you can now give your chao in SADX the animal abilities or toys from SA2B.

The full list of changes is below.

Features:
    • Added support for the recently released Sonic Adventure 2.
    • Added support for the Steam version of Sonic Adventure DX.
    • Added support for the following SADX game settings:
      • Personality.
      • SA2B's animal behaviours.
      • SA2B's classroom skills.
      • SA2B's toys.
      • DNA stat grades.
    • Added support for the following SA2B game settings:
      • Personality.
      • Health and sickness.
      • Classroom skills.
      • Toys.
      • Animal chao.
      • Seeds.
      • DNA stat grades.
      • Most other settings that already existed for SADX.

Fixes:
    • Fixed a bug with the character bond sliders for Big and E-102 Gamma, which were the wrong way round.
    • Fixed a bug with the animal behaviour settings, where they could not be properly removed in-game while the editor was running.
    • Fixed a bug where "Good" or "Bad" type chao would not be displayed correctly in the chao list.
    • Removed the option to add the regular fruit, pumpkin hat, and skull hat to the Black Market, as purchasing them could crash SADX. They can still be added to the garden directly.
    • Slightly modified the behaviour of the animal, fruit, and hat settings to prevent game crashes from occurring in rare cases.

Improvements:
    • Significantly improved start-up time.
    • The tooltips for slider controls now display the slider's value, so that it is easier to tell exactly what value it has.
    • A message is now displayed while checking for updates.
    • Improved the use of icons throughout the program.
    • Changed some of the colour names so they match the current game.
    • Improved some of the SADX animal behaviour descriptions.
    • Improved the help and information text and fixed some mistakes.
    • Renamed the application from "Fusion's SADX PC Chao Editor" to simply "Fusion's Chao Editor", now that it supports multiple games.

Want to download it? Just head over to the downloads page on my website. I recommend you choose the setup exe option.

I wanted to include something like a "Chao Storage" section in my editor, where you could store away your chao and transfer them between games. However, I decided to just release it as it is now, and might implement that in a future version instead. For now, it is possible to transfer a chao between SADX and SA2B by either copying and pasting the chao, or by saving it to a .chao file and then loading it back up.

Sure. I'll write up a post soon with everything I know about the chao data.

7. flarn2006

flarn2006

Are you talking about the noclip action or the Chao items?

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Fusion, if I give you C# code to calculate the checksum for SADXPC and SA2PC's Chao save files, could you modify your editor to operate on them?

Also, the editor doesn't work for people who have renamed their SA2 exe to Launcher.exe to bypass the config tool. :v:

Edit: actually, it doesn't seem to work at all for SA2...

9. Fusion

Fusion

Fusion's Chao Editor
    Possibly. Is there any particular reason you want that?

That's true. I didn't think that anybody would rename the exe. It's currently set up to detect both the process name ("sonic2app.exe" for SA2) and the window title ("SONIC ADVENTURE 2" for SA2) together. I could have had it look up the install path in the registry, but then that might not work for people with bad installations.

This is odd. I've had other people test it for me too, and it seems to work fine for them on SA2. Could you be a little more specific? Does it fail to detect the game with the filename renamed back to "sonic2app.exe"? Or does it detect the game and have some other problem? Thanks!

10. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    The chao part.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Just another option I guess. And it could lead to supporting the Dreamcast and GameCube versions' save files as well (though the DC versions could be tricky).
    I renamed it to "sonic2App.exe" and it doesn't detect it. It does detect when I run SADX2004 though.

12. Fusion

Fusion

Fusion's Chao Editor
    Yes, I suppose it could be useful, although I'd need to think about how best to incorporate it into the user interface. If you don't mind sending me your code (or just tell me how to calculate the checksum, whichever is easier for you) then I'd appreciate it and can add it to my to-do list. I'm not sure when exactly I'd implement it though.

I believe that's the problem. The original filename (at least for me) is "sonic2app.exe", not "sonic2App.exe". My program does a case-sensitive comparison, so it wouldn't detect it with an upper case A. Was that actually your original filename?

Is it a common thing for people to rename the game exe to "Launcher.exe"? If it's something common, then I'll change the program to support that.

Edit: And thanks for trying it out, by the way! I appreciate it.

13. Sporks

Sporks

I'm having trouble as well. My .exe is named as "sonic2app". One thing it could be, is that it doesn't show ".exe" at the end of it, the file type seems to be hidden on mine. I tried renaming it to "sonic2app.exe" to see if the editor would pick it up, but the launcher seems to treat as being named "sonic2app.exe.exe" so it doesn't open. Any ideas?

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  15. Fusion

Fusion

Fusion's Chao Editor
    It sounds like you have Windows Explorer set to "hide extensions for known file types". This is the default behaviour, and I personally find it very annoying. The file extensions are still there, just hidden. That's why when you rename "sonic2app" to "sonic2app.exe", it actually becomes "sonic2app.exe.exe", as the ".exe" was actually there on the end all along. "sonic2app" should be the correct name for you with it set up that way.

This doesn't explain why it wasn't working before you renamed it, though. Did it fail to detect the running game? My editor can take several seconds to detect the game after the game starts up; did you try waiting for a little bit? Are you absolutely certain that you tried it while the game exe was showing as "sonic2app" in Windows Explorer?

You could try running my editor with administrator privileges (right-click the shortcut -> Run as administrator). It won't be able to detect the game if the game (or Steam) is running with administrator rights while the editor is not.

Thanks!

Excellent. I'm glad to hear it's working for you now.

16. KingLightning

KingLightning

Atlanta, Georgia
    SA2 Cheat Engine Guide
    Fusion, is it possible by some chance to make your Chao Editor a stand-alone .exe? (Don't know if that's the right name.)

I mean, is it possible to compile the .exe such that we don't need to install it onto our PCs to use it? Cheat engine supports that (I use the stand-alone one) such that I click on the .exe and it loads instantly.

Some people, like me, prefer stand-alone .exe files because we have too much crap installed on our PCs and installing more stuff would slow the PC down. That, or conversely, we prefer to avoid installing software when possible.

If this is too much work to do, don't worry about it. But if it's easy to do, it would be nice to have one, especially for us "junky" PC users who install too much stuff that don't want to install more, or the paranoid people who don't like installing stuff.

Thanks for the Chao Editor though. I'll be trying it out later tonight. Right now is finals week for my college, so I have to do boring stuff like studying for the upcoming Chemistry exam :argh: .

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That chao editor is a god send, but I have a question. What stat effects shaking coconut trees? My chao seems to just shake it forever in races and nothing falls down. Is there a max value for some of these stats for the game to function properly?

18. KingLightning

KingLightning

Atlanta, Georgia
    SA2 Cheat Engine Guide
    Dumb question: What is your Chao's Power stat? If it's too low, then it probably will take awhile, if at all. If it's high and it doesn't fall, it must be some glitch.

EDIT: Second suggestion: If you used the editor to raise the stat, try exiting out of the Chao Garden so the game saves the data, and then go back in the Chao race.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The Fly and Power stats can glitch if they're too high. 4000 is the maximum the game allows you to get normally, so I generally go with that.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah, that's what I was looking for. I tried 5000 for those two stats (which, oddly enough they have their own color bar). I'll make the appropriate changes