don't click here

Sonic Advance 2 decompilation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by freshollie, May 7, 2022.

1. freshollie

freshollie

I never played Advance 1 or 3, but from the person who wrote the wiki from my findings, it seems most of the actions are just leftover from the Advance 1 Multiplayer teamplay mode

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I think if you put a ton of effort into speedrunning, you could probably get way better at speedrunning Sonic Advance 2 now compared to when you were a child, especially if you learn how to do optimal routes. The level leaderboard on Speedrun.com and SonicCenter.org showcase a lot of the current best strats for beating levels. I also reccomend watching the TAS for Sonic and Knuckles by Dashjump. A lot of the strats with Sonic in his TAS is impossible to do irl, but most of the Knuckles strats in his TAS can be done with any character.

I also recommend checking out the The Sonic Speedrun Community Discord server. A lot of people in the #sonic-advance_series text channel are super helpful to anyone who wants to get better at speedrunning any of the Sonic Advance games.

Oh, I didn't know Sonic Advance 1 had a teamplay mode. I have never had the opportunity to try out its multiplayer.

3. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    Now that I think of it, I don't think my speedrun rutes ever differed much, if at all, from the SP Ring routes, at least not for the first act of the first 6 Zones and Egg Utopia 2(can't remember why, but it was always Egg Utopia 2 I used at attempts to get Emeral 7 when I used Act 1 for all the others... Makes me wonder if there's ever been an Any% versus 100% like categorization for single act times where any% has you beating the level as quickly as possible and 100% has you beating as quickly as possible while getting all of the SP Rings... Or a low% where the goal is to get the fastest time collecting none of the SP rings.