don't click here

Sonic Advance 2 beta hoax ROM

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by redhotsonic, May 14, 2011.

1. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Hello, all. Many of you have probably played Sonic Advance 2 on the Game Boy Advance. But have any of you ever played Sonic Advance 2 beta?

I just downloaded it and it loads up with debug mode and you pretty much can't do bugger all. Although, there is a way to turn into Sonic and then move about to explore things. I just can't seem to get out of debug mode.

Google hasn't been my friend recently and the only thing I can find that relates to the beta is this: <a href="http://www.sonic-cult.org/bci/" target="_blank">http://www.sonic-cult.org/bci/</a>

It tells you how to get out of the eternal debug, but it doesn't seem to work. Doing a soft reset just seems to freeze the game. Doing a hard reset just seems to start the debug thing again.

I was wondering has anyone ever got passed debug and could tell me how? Or at least have a save-state pass this point?

Many Thanks
    redhotsonic

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    How about uploading it somewhere so people can try it out?

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    The link I provided, also provides the ROM at the bottom of the page =)

4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The link to it on SC's main page calls it a hoax.

5. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    .. um, hate to burst your bubble, but that's fake.

I should know, I made some of those screenshots. :>;

6. Oh man, I remember when this came out. Good times.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thats the CulT one IE its fake, bunch of jerks loved playing pranks back then. I don't think an advance beta was ever released for any of the 3 games.

I wonder if DRX ever runs across any gameboy advance betas? I pratically never see any betas from the advance era of portable gaming

8. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I remember playing around with this back in the day. Cinossu, Did you actually cause it to load straight into the eternal debug mode? What was the origin of Sonic Advance 2 Beta?

EDIT
    There is a beta of sorts for Sonic Advanced 3
    <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Advance_3_%28prototype%29" target="_blank">sonic advanced 3 proto</a>

9. In addition to the Advance 3 proto, there's also a proto of Sonic N, the N-Gage version of Advance 1.

10. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    <!--quoteo(post=586510:date=May 14 2011, 04:16 PM:name=Cinossu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cinossu @ May 14 2011, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=586510">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.. um, hate to burst your bubble, but that's fake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thought you might say that. The way that the debug warped round the sides and it was hacked for a message saying dumped by some people did make me wondering if it was a fake. Thought I'd ask though in case.

Although what about the music? Because a lot of youtube videos show that song saying it's from the beta? Or did you just port that song in? OR did you just make that song up and lots of people fell for it?

And I definately know there was a Sonic Advance 3 beta released. I've played it, although it was near completetion. Only small differences was just bugs and glitches.

11. LockOnTommy11

LockOnTommy11

UK
    Yeah, if there was a Sonic Advance 2 prototype out, it would have been heavily advertised by the community.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    The main giveaway is how the after images of them running are done. :u

13. Felik

Felik

But wasn't there a SAdv 2 TV commercial using that song?

14. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    <!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xotVDDH7SPs&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xotVDDH7SPs&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

Probably my favorite Advance song. Pity most people could only hear it in Sonic Mega Collection for the longest time. Thank goodness for Youtube.

15. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    (I wasn't the one bumping this thread)

Gah, this thread's topic makes me shiver. Everytime I hope someone's dumped the beta of this game. It should be locked, because:
    - The music in question can not be found in any Sonic Advance games, by hacking the playlist, or extracting the midis with sappy or gba2mid.
    - We don't get anywhere until a beta can be found. Until then, what has already been said "only used for trailer music, not beta of any particular level music without proof" is enough to be said for now.
    - Most people totally love this music, no one has disagreed.

A Beta of Sonic Advance 2 would be a high priority. Please try to locate the real one people. Not the hoax that has a one screen interaction with low low quality wave music to fool people of 2002 knowledge or worse. A beta, or any prototype of Sonic Advance 2 would include alot of information to Sonic Retro about the changes made to 2D Sonic gamplay at that time, and some of the design in that game (final or not) is worth alot!

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm not locking it in case people want to discuss the hoax further, but I HAVE edited the topic title for clarity & long-term archival's sake.

17. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Also, just to clarify, I made the fake screenshots, not the fake rom.

18. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Oh shit... I remember when I was like 7 and fell for this. I spent so long trying to figure out how to get it to work.
    Who was actually in charge? Was it just CulT collectively?

19. <!--quoteo(post=586513:date=May 14 2011, 10:40 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ May 14 2011, 10:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=586513">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats the CulT one IE its fake, bunch of jerks loved playing pranks back then.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Head jerk reporting in. =P

<!--quoteo(post=586514:date=May 14 2011, 10:44 AM:name=qwertysonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (qwertysonic @ May 14 2011, 10:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=586514">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What was the origin of Sonic Advance 2 Beta?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was super pumped for SAdv2 but there was so little info out that I started recreating some of the art and making my own screenshots and figured I could fool some people. Pach really pushed for a full-fledged hoax so I ripped a lot of art from screenshots and put together some templates and assets for fake screens. SonicBlur ended up making the rom with some of that art and the trailer's music looped in Goldwave in wave format to help fill out the rom so it was a bit heftier in file size. A lot of people contributed to those screens, I believe Kat made the Cream pose artwork and Pach put together the page. Here's a <a href="http://home.comcast.net/~doa5/SAdv2_Hoax.7z" target="_blank">zip</a> of all the assets I still have from the hoax.

20. I remember falling for this back in the day :P I got so frustrated trying to get it to work.

[​IMG]

I've seen that cream sprite somewhere before...