don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode III cancelled according to Ken Balough

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Jan 5, 2015.

1. I don't really care that much about Sonic the Hedgehog 4, however the fact that Episode II ends on a cliffhanger with the Little Planet still inside the Death Egg mk. II really bothers me. It's kinda like Sonic Underground - it was poorly made on the cheap, the ending is never resolved and frankly, nobody asked for it in the first place. My only question is, will SEGA ever do something about it or are they just gonna pretend it never happened?

2. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Well, my "involvement" was really just a phone call so I don't really feel it's appropriate to make any kind of judgement that could be misconstrued as "official". The only thing that could be said is that while Sega is around and has the Sonic IP, there's nothing stopping them from coming back to it if they felt it was good for the market.

I will leave Sonic 4 with the following words uttered by The Hitcher from The Mighty Boosh
    [​IMG]
    "Elements of the past and future, combining to create something not quite as good as either"

3. Falk

Falk

Classic 2D Sonic doesn't need a S4E3. It doesn't need a Sonic 5.

It needs a completely new branch, where sequels get a 2 and 3 and so on all over again (assuming sequels to this are ever made) to both distance itself from the critical trainwrecks S4E1/E2 were, as well as to manage expectations as to how much it takes from the classics.

This is what Sonic Advance did with its modern aesthetic. And it was reasonably successful in its own right. I don't see why something similar can't happen where a new series brands itself to be first and foremost a throwback to what was good about the classic games.

And as much as I am anti "fans do what SEGA don't" (which is a really stupid mindset, really*) the fact that the Taxman CD/1/2, various fangames (LakeFeperd's stuff might be the most prominent but there's so much out there) and Freedom Planet exist in the past few years is pretty telling, in that those got a lot about the classics right but didn't claim to be a continuation of classic Sonic. The complete antithesis of Sonic 4 which claimed to be a continuation of classic Sonic, but didn't get much right at all.

*edit: As clarification, this is stupid because more often than not it's used to put blatantly sub-par fan work up on a pedestal while bashing anything and everything SEGA, with little to no understanding of how game dev actually functions both technically and as a business. A sad showcase of double standards, really.

4. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I'd argue that Episode 1 burned too many people badly enough for them even to consider a shinier looking episode 2. In some respects Episode 2 was a fresh coat of paint over the same shitty level design, same small amount of content, same grating music, and slightly tweaked physics. The only difference is that it at least didn't look nearly as embarrassing.

I definitely agree here. Sonic seems to be trying out lots of new things anyway. A subline that just pushes 2D.5 further than Classics Generations tried to. Complete with it's own set of new mechanics that work with what the game is trying to add like the advance character abilities/tricks and not slapped on because they were band-aids for unrelated legacy gameplay (homing attack I'm looking at you).

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Well, I guess someone will make a fan conclusion to Sonic 4 someday. I still haven't gotten the last emerald in episode 2.

6. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

Literally Swimming in Privilege Banned
    Well atleast I got to kinda play as Knuckles in the past 4 years.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't understand why people say S4E2's physics are a big improvement over E1's. There's only a difference when you're not touching the controller, which is never if you're actually playing the game.

A little disappointed by this news, but I won't lose any sleep over it. I think the best thing to come out of Sonic 4 was the Metal Sonic theme - I hope that gets more use in future games.

8. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Wow... Now I'm really disappointed Episode 3 never happened. It could've been great.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Well, like Taxman said in a later reply it wasn't much more than a phonecall, meaning that those plans probably didn't get much further than the planning phase. What does kinda disappoint me is that it sounds like Sega Studios Australia was going to focus more on platformers before they were shut down. Their Castle of Illusion remake was pretty good and I would have liked to have seen more from them.

10. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    This right here. The Castle of Illusion remake was wonderful and brilliant and I would have loved to have seen Sega Studios Australia keep going as an active and productive studio. IMO Sega's decision to close them down was one of the most catastrophically terrible decisions they have ever made. Like seriously right after the studio proved themselves by making a truly great game like that? I'm not saying Castle of Illusion was game of the year or anything like that but it was a well produced, charming and colourful sign of positive things to come from the studio.

I love Sega but part of the reason they're in the state they're in is because of a long history of terrible decisions like that.

11. Falk

Falk

Wasn't the cost of game dev in Australia prohibitively high? As in on-location facilities, etc. I don't think it was something specific to SEGA Studios Australia.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yeah, lots of big Australian game devs shut down. I can't really blame SEGA for doing so considering the costs, but it's still kinda disappointing cause I liked what they did with Castle of Illusion.

13. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    I'm kind of sad about this. On one hand, Sonic 4 as a whole was mediocre. On the other, it was more fun to play than Lost World, and I don't like stories without endings.

So I dunno. Mediocre is better than utter tripe.

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I hope they will do a Sonic 5 or Sonic Reborn or whatever other name you like at some point, with a creative team that knows what they're doing. Not that any of that is likely to happen, but, if anyone's listening, there you go.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I don't doubt that SEGA will do another attempt at 2D classic Sonic, I just don't expect them to do that anytime soon.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They were making a third?

It's a toss-up for me between Sonic 4 and NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams for the most offensive video game of all time. I think NiGHTS probably has the edge but Sonic 4 is a traversty that is best off being forgotten about. At least it has the grace to play its own part in this, with wonky compatibility with modern phones and tablets.

17. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    2D Sonic will forever be eternal. The handheld games that have persisted for over a decade on various platforms and the genesis of the Sonic 4 project prove that. I think Sonic Team's energy and efforts are being applied to a strong next generation reincarnation and debut of Sonic on modern platforms now that the Nintendo deal is over; and once that is achieved and hopefully Sonic's reputation is restored critically they might think about another 2D game. Hopefully at least.

18. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I still haven't played through either episodes of Sonic 4 fully, so this doesn't make me too mad. It does suck to see another Sonic game go forever unfinished, though.

19. MartiusR

MartiusR

No no, I wasn't asking in context of this proposition, but rather I was asking you as someone who has more "general knowledge" in case of Sonic franchise's history (well, I'm quite fresh member here ;)). And that's why I've written my doubts (because as far I know, all cancelled games with Sonic were cancelled permanently).

Well, anyway, thanks for reply.

20. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I bought Episode 2 while it was relatively cheap on Steam, and I fucking hated it. I managed to complete Episode 1 (somehow), but I found this to be worse. If it lead to massive improvements, Episode 3 would have been nice, but the chances of improvements were slim.