don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

lol I always get those two birds muddled up.

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Man sonic 4 episode 2 sure looks like a fan game to me,,
    just doesn't look very professionally done,

3. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    What doesn't look professional about it?

I'm no Sonic apologist, Episode I was bad and it had the visuals to match. Episode II, however, looks as quality as a downloadable game can get. Compare it to, say, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, one of the most renowned platformers on the arcade.

[​IMG]

How does that look any more professional that Episode II? I'm not saying it's going to be a great or even good game, but as far as visuals go I'd say it looks pretty damn good.

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    In what way?

5. Maybe it's the close resemblence to Fan Remix or the fact the Tornado looks a lot like those fanmade 3D models you see on youtube. While I disagree I can understand what you mean

6. Machenstein

Machenstein

It looks more on par with Rocket Knight for the XBLA and PSN. We've basically entered a parallel universe where Sonic and Sparkster had 2.5D games during the PS2/GameCube/Xbox era.

7. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Because the plot totally doesn't steer the direction of the game at all. And this implies a visual style of a character is relevant to a game, which it isn't since a game is a game. That's it. Therefore Eggman's design really relate to this game either, now does it?

I really wouldn't be trying to combat you if you kept spouting your opinions as facts (Read: implying "Classic" = proper and those who think otherwise are wrong)

MOVING ON

I was honestly surprised by this. I didn't expect Sonic 4 to actually look as good as it looks. You guys can argue its art style looks cut and paste but IMO sometimes the classics felt like that too (IN SOME AREAS). I say 4 is looking alright so far, and I can bet nobody really can disagree that Episode 2 looks better than 1. All that matters though is that it PLAYS better than 1... and hopefully it will.

Actually, what matters is that it plays well in the first place :v:

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    God damn, those skies look gorgeous.

9. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    I wasn't going to consider getting this due to my disappointment with episode 1, but these screenshots are a pleasant surprise! I really dig the design style they've pulled from Fan Remix. If this has quality game play to match, I'll probably be picking this up if/when it hits steam.

10. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
  11. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Visuals look nice, definitely an improvement over Episode 1, but am I the only one who thinks there is a massive amount of wasted potential for a 2.5D title such as this? After playing Trine 2 (which was made by an indie studio, no less), this just looks incredibly underwhelming.

12. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Trine certainly is an impressive-looking 2.5D game, but how would you like to see that kind of visual quality translate to a Sonic game? Just graphical detail and sophistication, aspects of the art direction, or is it also a matter of camera perspective and/or the presence or absence of Genesis-style parallax?

13. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    You're probably getting this feeling because of Episode 2's sparing use of colour and hold in "realistic environments". It may be because Trine takes its genre to develop ridiculously beautiful environments.

This is an improvement over Episode 1's flatter than Paper Mario style but without the colours and surreal landscapes that define the franchise's world. Everything looks so damned dull. It's almost as if they intentionally made the worlds as boring as possible to bring out the far more interesting Badniks. It is Black Knight bland in terms of visuals. The only thing that's really impressed me is their beautiful sky backdrops but THAT'S it. I like texture and grit, but at the same time I appreciate surreality and colour and this is pretty damn lifeless. Far from a proper Mobius.

14. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    It's probably just me, but after looking at these screenshots for a while, I've been getting a Chaotix/Ristar vibe from them. Especially with the use of bright neon colors in Christmas Zone.

Christmas Zone
    [​IMG]

Aquatic Ruin-ish Zone
    [​IMG]

Again, it's probably just me though. :v:

15. Lambda

Lambda

I see the Ristar one... but Chaotix is WAAAAY too stylized to resemble the somewhat-realistic look of Ep. 2

16. cornholio857

cornholio857

Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    True with the Chaotix one. I couldn't find a screenshot I wanted to compare it to Aquatic Ruin Zone. But Ristar was one of the first games I thought of when I saw Christmas Zone. Side note: I could totally see a new Ristar game using Ep 2's graphics engine.

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I love the way people are calling it "Christmas Zone", so not only do people believe in that fairytale Jesus shit on this planet, but Sonic's as well?

18. cornholio857

cornholio857

Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    What does a belief in Jesus have anything to do with it? It's a Zone that contains:

• Lit Christmas/Holiday Trees. Which are usually seen around Christmas time
    • Winter Themed Zone obviously
    • Snowmen of Robotnik
    • The whole town that is lit with lights is similar to those Christmas Villages people buy

Until the official name is released for said Zone, that's what I'll call it.

And how do you know that on Sonic's planet there was never a "Blue Messiah"? :)

19. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Wasn't Sonic born on Christmas Island, at least in '90s Japanese fiction?

20. cornholio857

cornholio857

Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    Yep. He sure was.

From the Wiki: