don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. SlapStick

SlapStick

Kimberly, WI
    None at the moment...
    I enjoyed Episode 1... a lot (about as much as Sonic 2). However, I can see why people don't like it. Episode 2, on the other hand, I don't see why.

They improved the graphics by a ton and just about fixed the physics. They added Tails (yeah he's not playable in single player, so what?), online co-op, and extra Metal Sonic DLC (for FREE!). They gave us original levels that weren't blatant rehashes (the names could've used some work though) and an actual story.

I don't see what's so bad about the level design either. There are multiple paths (some that take advantage of the co-op moves) and, to be honest, there's a lot to do on those paths. I could care less about the bubbles chains and speedboosters. I actually like the speedboosters (I'm not entirely sure why though, I just do). I'd much rather speed through a loop because of a speedbooster than get stopped on a loop and have to go back a little bit and spindash through it.

I really, honestly don't see the problem here. So far this game is looking amazing. I don't really have any problems with it (besides some of the zone names).

2. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I could care less about the 69 combo stuff, and judging by what you're saying, you can make Tails fly when playing as Sonic+Tails in S4EII? Forgive me for not knowing, as I haven't been keeping up with this game at all, as I have no plans on getting it. But my point is, you still play as Sonic, not Tails. You don't get to play as Tails alone.

My main problem is that they're calling these cheap titles Sonic 4. It sucks, because now this means there can never be a true Sonic 4. I guess I would be more fine with it if it wasn't called Sonic 4.

Well what's bothering me is that they're still carrying on with the episodic DL crap, it's still being developed by Dimps (the cheap company that makes the low-budget titles), and many features from Sonic 3 & Knuckles that were taken out in Episode I still aren't in Episode II. And I'm also really skeptical of the physics because of how badly Episode I controlled in comparison to the classic titles, and -I'll just stop now because I don't want to start saying the same crap people have said over and over again about Episode I.

But there is one thing that is 100% confirmed about Episode 2 that I can legitimately complain about: too little content for it's price. Game is too short.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    The point of this gameplay style is that the player is really playing as Sonic and Tails simultaneously, and not just Sonic with another character following him. This game expands on Sonic 3&K by making a true 'Sonic&Tails' gameplay, where you essentially play as both characters without actually controlling one of them. The Basic Actions (running, jumping, spin-dashing etc.) don't need to be controlled by two characters; one only needs one model for that. For special actions like the Homing Attack and Flying, you'll need to use whichever relevant character necessary for the task. For the Double Spin-Dash you need to play as both at the same time. This true 'Sonic&Tails' game play actually involves both characters, which is why neither Sonic Alone nor Tails Alone would work in the game. Instead of the stages accommodating for both Tails Alone and Sonic Alone, they only cater to Sonic and Tails mode.

Knowing this, I'd also be willing to bet that if Knuckles is playable in E: 3, then Episode 2 would feature a Knuckles in Episode 2 mode, where in cases like the snow burrowing, Knuckles would just walk/roll into it on his own. He would also Glide and Climb in the Flying areas (making them significantly more difficult). But this is getting into the 'baseless speculation' territory.

4. Aerobian-Angel

Aerobian-Angel

"____________________" Member
    RE: Not the Usual Bickering on the Topic of Sonic 4

That awkward moment when they don't see satirical commentary via the usage of "all-caps rage" hyperbole.

I'm not talking directly about you. Just rephrasing what seems to be the loudest voice/point of the multiple sides of the angry letters sent to SEGA, a generalization if you will. The point is however, that the fanbase —for both Modern and Classic-- is anything but organized in what it wants or accepts. And that's just it: nobody wants to compromise anymore. Nobody feels like meeting halfway on what we want out of a Sonic game. Sure, you have those who agree like a match made in heaven, but for every one of those, you'll get TWENTY who'll drop a simple "Fuck you, that's stupid" and proceed to be at each others' throats. This is very evident when you just look at the bickering forums.

When whether or not their game feels fun turns into politics, compromise is basically the choice game designers have. They can't just ditch one audience in favor of the other, that'll just result into MORE factions in the fanbase, and we all know how that turned out the first time.

Moving on.

You can't possibly be serious. If anything, please do not be referring to the MUSHROOMS. They are seriously just there. With no real purpose beyond trampolining to —more often than not-- nothing. The closest thing that qualifies as a background/foreground gimmick would have to be the Pull-Up machines. Even so, it'd be a REALLY long stretch to even mention those as such seeing as it's just a ladder that happens to be behind things just as a visual trick to imply it going through the scenery, not behind it.

In case I happen to be missing anything else that comes close to what's being mentioned, please do clarify as I am just not seeing it.

Remember, it's only four so far —that is to say, as of Act 1. If we're to count on Episode 2 being like Episode 1 in any respect, we can count on newer mechanics being implemented per Act. For example, the platforms that need to be rotated and the spinning bg/fg platforms from the trailer. Still not enough? We'll just have to wait and see what else lies in the levels, now won't we?

I'll give you that one.

Put 2 and 2 together. My whole argument is based on compromising for what's laid out. Given the whole situation concerning who really is the audience is for this game, the designers are seriously stuck between two sides. This is where the compromising comes in. From the designers (as aforementioned) and myself. While I am listing off things that my "perfect Sonic experience" could do with/without (I.e.: less booster-spam), I'm also noting that I'm not going to use that as grounds for a 10-page essay on "Why Sonic 4 Still Sucks". In fact, I'm not even going to let that stop me from playing the game to have a good time. I'm accepting what I'm being given and while I do wish for more things —whether it be the addition or removal of some elements, I know that someone at the other end of the spectrum would have a complaint. Believe it or not. And while that might not bother you in the slightest, its not the same story for me. So I'll just deal with what I don't like. It's not perfect, but it's what I'll take for a chance at satisfaction. That's the Happy Medium: give and take. Compromise.

And who said I can't agree with you on some things and disagree on others? These are just my points, and I only "call people out" if I do not fully understand where they are coming from —to which I inquire for more reasoning, or if I feel I can legitimately prove them as "wrong". I can't change your opinion, but I can defend mine when I feel it can and should be.

And now to address one last thing:
    Hey man, just because I am addressing other arguments and acknowledging them as valid points, that does not make me indecisive. Again: agree on some, disagree on others.

Although that one statement could effectively sum-up my response, let this be an aid: My quick dodge to the "But enough of my drivel on 2 stages, I wonder how the other Acts and levels will pan out like..." line is use of a rhetorical device. Because I spent so much time defending the topic, it should indeed come off as odd that I would come off with such a handwave of a remark. However, its stark contrast in degree of of how much "passion" was put into my statements —in combination with how out-of-nowhere it was-- should give off the signal that I'm not here to get riled up over anything. I'm not here on the forums for that. However, do not take that as a means of "but I don't know what I'm talking about" as truth, just as... insurance. Something to prevent "escalation". Infer, kind sir.

5. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Here is my problem with the "you are playing as both" scenario. While it's cool that you no longer have to pull out a second controller to make Tails fly you about...that is all you really are doing with the "you are playing as both" dynamic. The 69 super spin does not scream to me as a necessary play mechanic. It doesn't look like an interesting one. All it's doing is that, instead of pushing a button to do a spin dash, you are pushing another button to do another spin dash. It isn't accomplishing anything else. The only time you're going to be inconvenienced is when you're waiting for Tails to show up if you've already lost him in the level. If the point was to make it feel like you're controlling both, then they should have come up with something that makes me feel like I need both characters there.

There are also the annoying "oh you need to fly here" segments that we've already seen. This is something that could have easily been fixed if you want to play as Sonic alone or as Tails alone - with Sonic alone, give him a spring. Or better yet, do what was done in Sonic & Knuckles - create specific paths for specific characters. Saying "oh it would take a lot to change things up now" is an annoying excuse, because that shouldn't have been the game plan in the first place. Once again, it's leaning towards the "there is one right way to play this game" mentality. There may be alternate paths, but it's going to feel more like the "go this way to hit these automated springs, or go this way to hit these automatic speed boosters" than "oh you go this way and you're going to see some really cool stuff, but if you go this other way you're going to see some different really cool stuff." DIMPS alternate pathways don't really feel like anything different from each other.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Well, they could've kept Tails on the screen easier with Chaotix rings. I mean, how totally awesome would that be, right guys?

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    There's a new post on the Playstation Blog about this game. Nothing new except for this bit:
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/17/bringing-collaborative-play-to-sonic-4-episode-ii/

8. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Maybe they worked hard to implement the ability to play as Tails in single player because people complained so much.

9. Sploit

Sploit

Maybe its Metal Sonic teamed with Tails Doll :v: *fingers crossed*

10. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    If that happens, be ready for a whole new wave of Tails Doll jokes/stories/whatever they call them these days.

11. Sploit

Sploit

I'm not bothered about that stuff...

...would be nice to see an old character return though, and the team dynamic would be interesting.

12. Nova

Nova

If it's some sort of 'two-player time trial' shit, I will be severely unimpressed. Tails doll would be amazing, but I think it's been too long now and we're more likely to see a new 'metal Tails' or something. Even that sounds unlikely though.

13. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Metal Sonic has a jet engine on his back so he could fly/dig through snow/etc., it wouldn't even make sense for him to need a partner. He should be able to do those combo moves by himself.

I wonder how different it would've been if Sonic's Spin-Dash was stronger than Tails's (as in strong enough to get through that snow where Tails couldn't), and the level design was adjusted a bit so Sonic had a burrowing ability and Tails could fly to un-jumpable places. That way you can still do the co-op stuff, but could play with one character alone if desired.

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    This is what I'm thinking. Surely SEGA could have came up with some abilities to give Metal to do the equivalent of the combo moves.

15. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Been so long that for a moment there I thought you were talking to someone else. Heh.

Nope. Game designers can choose whatever they want. And the better ones do, in fact, make choices and stick to them.

The fanbase being splintered is meaningless if they still make money. Guess what made more money? The old games.

MUSHROOOOOOOOMS AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They're 'just there', but they're also background/foreground objects. As are the loops and pull machines. It makes it clear that the background/foreground gimmick is not 100% new. Thus it is not some amazing thing that redeems Sonic 4: E2, but rather is just 'nifty.'

Wishful thinking + betting on DIMPs. My response: Wait until the game is created, then if they do bother to make many gimmicks, consider this point yours. But if they don't, well, I told you so...

Compromise, and make a product no one entirely likes. Stick to a proper vision and while people may not all like it, they have no choice but to admit that you chose a path and did it well. This is an irreconcilable difference between us as far as game design goes.

You can have whatever opinion you want, but if you call me out, you'll get my fourth degree of explanations—nice or not, they'll be there. Explaining not only my beliefs but also how I parse your argument.

Then in this case you avoided "escalation" at the expense of coherency. It would probably have been more effective to say, "These are just my opinions and now I wish to hear your response." Or at least, that's what I think.

16. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
  17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
  18. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Seems Sonic 4 is always destined to leak in a way or another.

19. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I can confirm that if you buy Sonic 4 Episode Two on Steam right now you can download the game. DOWNLOADING NOW

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Honestly I'm not too bugged by not getting to play it a month early, but I'll be the first to put the usual plea for music for when anyone has the time. Even just a couple tracks will tide me over.