don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Machenstein

Machenstein

I'll wait for a sale this time. I'm not in any hurry to play this incarnation of Sonic 4.

About my bitching from yesterday, while I do think that Sonic 4 has some good ideas Episode 2-wise, I'm just not a fan of the format it's all in. Personally, Sega should just forget Episode 1 exists outside of Episode Metal, take whatever works in Episode 2 as well as future episodes and make a brand new Sonic 4 out of these ideas. I know a lot of people just want to get the whole Sonic 4 thing over with, but the episodic format, as well as the design philosophies behind each episode, have made the whole project too disjointed and inconsistent to ever be a whole Sonic 4.

While I don't want Sega to make another Sonic 4 right away after the whole saga is finished, I don't want them to just forever leave it the way it is either. Episode 2, outside of the abundance of instant springs and speed boosters, does have plenty of ideas that I like. The badniks are pretty cool, especially the new Orbinauts in Oil Desert, some of the level themes are unique (admit it, a snow carnival is rather neat) and Tails is actually useful in co-op mode now. They just have to not force the co-op next time by giving us the option to either play as Sonic alone or Tails alone. As for the level design, it's already been said a hundred times, but just reduce the number of springs, speed boosters and bottomless pits.

2. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    How much are Microsoft Points in real money? I'm a PS3 man and I don't understand your fancy fake currency.

3. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    400 MS points = $5USD

4. SlapStick

SlapStick

Kimberly, WI
    None at the moment...
    I can't wait to start flying all around the levels with Tails! Combine that with the fact that he can save you if you fall. There's a point in White Park I saw where you need to use flight in order to reach a higher path. I really like that.

5. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I hate the idea of buying points in the first place, I'd rather just pay exactly the cost of the item I want to buy.
    but eesh, 1200? I'll wait for a sale.

6. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    So apparently Ken said on the S4 forums although we can never play as Tails alone (or Sonic alone, for that matter) in this game, there could be the possibility of Tails as the leading player in singleplayer. "No promises", but the option's there, at least.

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    The only thing I'm getting from that is that Tails could be the leader in Episode 3. He's talking about feedback AFTER the game's launch...unless there is just going to be a patch. Last time I checked, the game isnt out yet so why wait to put this in now?

8. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    After yesterday's announcement of a playable Metal Sonic I'm like seriously pleased as a Sonic fan for the first time since the Dreamcast era... maybe even longer. I just hope it plays well.

Like, this is his first appearance in the 2D platform as a main character. Granted it's only for a Side Story. Like, I'm having a serious fanboy moment. Thanks SEGA. ^_^

9. dsrb

dsrb

Showing so little platforming, and so many automatic sections that might as well be scripted, is not making me pumped. Dat f*&^%$g booster noise.

10. Star and Moon

Star and Moon

Childhood = Dreamcast Member
    Why are some people saying that episode 2 is not going to be good? I think it's ridiculous that SEGA would make episode 2 have a bad physics engine like episode 1, because of what fans have said, and also, it would make more money if it was better, so I think episode two is going to be definitely worth buying.

11. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I'm sure they are just teasing him being cool. Either way Metal is getting some single player playable love in the main games, and this is long overdue. If you aren't pumped, you probably haven't been hoping for this since Sonic CD was relatively new like me. If he has awesome gameplay on top of it, that will be a cherry on top.

Because SEGA has a track record of disappoint people are sceptical, and rightfully so. Personally I have felt that the physics look fine in Episode 2 for a while now. With the inclusion of Metal Sonic, I can't even complain that they let Tails in anymore, so thanks for shutting me up on that, SEGA. ^_^

12. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    But you can see it hasn't changed. It's Episode 1 all over again bar uncurling. And considering the 'changes' they implemented in 2, you can bet Tails as a lead will only be in Episode 3.

13. Sonic Adventure had some pretty bad physics and collision detection. Sonic Adventure 2 made them even worse. Heroes and Shadow made the former two games look like gold in this respect, and '06 similarily made Heroes actually look good.

Yes, it's ridiculous that a company wouldn't improve a game's sequel after lots of complaining, but with SEGA, it has become expected. I'm not denying they've made some improvements with this episode, but it's not like people have no right to be worried.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Good physics don't mean shit if the level design doesn't make good use of them, and when it comes to that Episode 2 doesn't look like it will be much different from the first episode.

15. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    Slightly improved physics don't automatically make the game better.

The only way I'm spending money on this game is if it's on sale, or if the cheaper iPhone version looks like it's worth a couple bucks.

16. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Because, starting in 2003, Dimps has consistently proven multiple times that they are incapable of making a decent Sonic game.

(this is my opinion so don't attack me just because you liked one of the DS games or something)

EDIT: Also, I just realized something. Remember when people were complaining about Sonic being the only playable character in Episode I? And then somebody from SEGA (was it Iizuka?) responded with, "fans will be very pleased with the cast of Episode II"? Yeah, well they lied. You still can only play as Sonic. I know this doesn't have anything to do with Dimps making sucky Sonic games during 2003-2012, but it's just another reason to add to my list of why Sonic the Hedgehog 4 as a whole is a fucking joke.

17. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    So far the known playable cast seems to be Sonic & Tails (And their new moves make it a point that it is not just one or the other.) and Metal Sonic as additional content. For all we know there could be more. If you aren't pleased with the cast, that is valid, but to say you can still only play as Sonic is just not true for the game play reasons alone.

Personally I was pleased with the lack of the extended cast. My complains lay mostly the bland music, mediocre level design, and buggy physics, and to a lesser degree the fact they are still using the Sonic Adventure look. The fact they were concentrating mostly on Sonic was a good thing.

18. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    1200 MS Points is a 15 dollar game. For serious.

19. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    From what I've read, you can't play as Tails unless if you're Player 2 doing co-op. And it's like Sonic 2 and Sonic 3, where the view follows Sonic so it sucks being Player 2 anyways. And you can't play as Tails alone. So really, Sonic is still the only playable character. And the Metal Sonic DLC thingy is Episode I levels.

EDIT: (and for clarification, the amount of playable characters is not my problem with the game, there are plenty of other reasons that I don't have to list. It's the same reasons that many people at Sonic Retro don't like Sonic 4)

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Wow, I had no idea you could do combo moves and fly with Tails when playing as Sonic Alone in Sonic 3.

Also, the Metal Sonic DLC is not just E1 levels; it was said by Ken that they are more than just re-skin stages.

How does one look at the gameplay and see this? They're not perfect, but it's quite clear that there are more physics improvements in the game other than uncurling. In fact, this has been known and demonstrated throughout this thread for a while now.