Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Ah. Rephrasing someone's arguments to make them sound stupid makes you correct, does it? No, I don't think so.

Also, both are technically true. The former is Sonic 1, the latter is more like Sonic 3K. Sonic 2 is sort of in the middle. It didn't have bubbles, booster/spring abuse in every stage etc though.

Happy medium? Nope. They've just made both sides mad. I don't think that's doing anyone much good, except for those who want this bizarre "middle."

Mushroom Hill never existed.

So it has about four gimmicks. Still not enough, and as the other person said, they are inferior gimmicks.

Making it all caps like that is not an argument. Perhaps you had a point when you listed off all the gimmicks, but you didn't address the springs, the bubbles chains, and the other overused automation in this segment of your post. Not to mention that the quality of the remaining gimmicks is, in a lot of cases, inferior.

I am a fan of the classic games, not Sonic Advance 3. The presence of that is a net negative to me. It neither flows like the movement of Sonic and Tails in Sonic 3 nor does it really add much that a normal spindash couldn't do.

Even you agree with me, in the end. The springs, the boosters, and the bubble chains ruin what the other gimmicks set up. If the boosters and springs and bubble chains (and the more nonsensical bottomless pits) left the game and emulated the much less frequent spring/booster design of the games before, maybe this game would be worth purchasing for me. As it stands, it isn't, because it plays like those Sonic Advance games I disliked. Again, this is Sonic Advance 4, not Sonic 4. I don't really care if other people like it (and they are free to sing its praises for all I care), but you're not going to change my mind with capital letters and exclamation points.

I liked Sonic and Knuckles' half more than Sonic 3's half for this reason. However, even when the gimmicks are copy-pasted across the acts, they do not abuse boosters and springs and bubble chains in every level, making that more tolerable to me than this "improvement" in which the gimmicks are halved, and they vary those fourish ones while keeping bubbles chains and boosters and springs in all acts.

So, like me, you would rather not be plagued by boosters and springs. It's okay. You can make a post without telling someone else they're wrong. You could just simply disagree. Furthermore, you like there being more gimmicks, ones which renew. This "Dimps Happy Medium" doesn't seem to work for you either. So is it really Happy? You don't seem to want sparseness either.

In conclusion: You could have simply said "I... don't really know what to think" rather than going on about opposite opinions and rambling incoherently about some "happy middle" which... you then indicate is not happy. O... kay... Really... I don't mind if you like Sonic 4. Or if you think it will somehow be better than it looks right now. I just find the whole thing disappointing. Wasted potential. Lazy design.

2. Falk

Falk

It just occured to me, I think a lot of people would have less beef with momentum-less homing attack (myself included) if the badnik debris flew backwards. You know, Newton's third law and all that. It may be simply visual but it helps a lot with suspension of disbelief and making it look less... unnatural.

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Hacking Contest
    And this also backs up what I was saying that it was Iizuka who made Senoue the sound director for Sonic 4.
    When you need someone to blame for some of the mess of this game, you know you can blame Takashi Iizuka for it.

4. SlapStick

SlapStick

Kimberly, WI
    None at the moment...
    You know, so far this game is looking great! I love the graphics and I also love the fact that the physics are fixed. The level design looks really good, especially White Park and (from the looks of it) Oil Desert. One thing I don't like is the level names themselves. Yes, I know that Sonic Zone names haven't exactly been what you would call creative but still. I like White Park, but Oil Desert and Sylvania Castle? They aren't very good. Of course, they aren't horrible, but I guess I just expected more out of the names.

5. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    My question is, why the hell was Dimps hired to do Sonic 4? From the looks of it, SEGA has always hired Dimps to do the "cheap" titles, like the handheld games and Unwiished, so why did they choose Dimps to work on a game with the title "Sonic the Hedgehog 4", knowing that Dimps simply doesn't have the capability of producing a title worthy of that name? In other words, why did they consider the name "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" a game that should be a "cheap" title?

The bolded part doesn't make any sense if you listen to the music used in Sonic 4...

6. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
    It saves SEGA time and money, maybe? I dunno...

In any case, the game is good enough to warrant a purchase from me (though I practically cave in to nearly every Sonic game). Can't wait to get a chance at it next month.

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Chopped Liver Champion Member
    I don't think it's a case of Dimps being incompetent as much as it's a case of SEGA only dishing out X number of development dollars and Iizuka still being in charge. If he wants to make a racing game so badly, he needs to get with Naka and make Super Ferrari Racing X-Treme.

8. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I don't think Sonic 4 had shitty physics and shitty music just because of a small budget and Iizuka. Wasn't Iizuka one of the level designers of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles? I seriously doubt that Iizuka told the Dimps developers, "I want shitty physics!" and I doubt he told Jun Senoue, "I want a soundfont that goes like meow meow meeooowww!". Although the whole downloadable episodic thing is pretty lame, was that Iizuka's decision?

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Iizuka thinks Sonic 4 is just as shitty as I (and many others) do. He only defends the game because that's part of his job.

9. ancara

ancara

Right now, I think the better question to ask is this: Who is in charge of DIMPS?

Perhaps if we know who they are, and are able to talk sense into them, then things might possibly go well?

I mean, I know Iizuka is everyone's favorite target now-a-days, but this IS a DIMPS project after all. Deal with the shenanigans involving their head and convince them to fix up the mess (or at least make them realize that they dun goof'd), and then perhaps it'll all be fixed up.

But that's just my silly opinion. :v:

10. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    I still think they don't consider "Sonic 4" to be anything more than one of those cheap titles, especially in the earlier stages. So take that out and you have a downloadable 4 zone Sonic title partly for handhelds with a low budget, sounds like more of a "cheap" title after that.

Either way, you got a company producing decent hits as far as 2D Sonic games went on handhelds, probably doing better than the Rivals games, and they have an engine that as we learned was reasonable to port to handhelds and consoles. So it probably makes sense to them to stick them on their nostalgiafest quick download title with an overambitious name, rather than get someone else to make an engine from scratch.

(random thought: People ask why they didn't base off the Advance engine which is closer to the classics... could it be that the Rush engine was more suited for multiple resolutions verses the possibly more pixel based GBA engines? Mix that, Sonic 4's apparent attempt at being modern and the springy style of the level designers...)

11. Caniad Bach

Caniad Bach

is a peanut Member
    SEGA wanted a cheap, downloadable title. Sonic sells, so they wanted to make a Sonic game. Fans wanted back to basic classic gameplay (Which SEGA saw as, "We want 2D"), non fans were content with playing the old shit. DIMPS had a 2D engine ready made, and were the team that did the low budget titles. SEGA gave the game to them, and at some point it was decided to call the game Sonic 4 for obvious marketing reasons. How is this not completely obvious?

12. Hero Of Fate

Hero Of Fate

Be Cool, Be Groovy Member
    Boston, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    To be fair, it seems like Episode 2 uses the Sonic Generations 3DS engine. Not quite sure if that's a mod of one of the previous engines but, it actually has physics.

13. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
    So I'm sure you guys got wind of possible pricing. Looks like Episode 2's gonna be 1200MP on XBLA.

14. SSE

SSE

OWCH! Sharp.
    United States
    Sonic The Hedgehog Mega Blitz
    I think that the Tails element will be too much of a gimmick. I know how some people complain that Tails doesn't have a major role, but they took it to literally. Tails JOINS with Sonic to perform a spindash. I hope that it will not be as bad or gimmicky as it appears to me.

Other than that, if it truley will have better physics and graphics, if the storyline is great, if the music is improved, and if there is enough nostalgia in the levels, I think that it will be an OK game. I haven't played it, but I'm giving it an early score of 6.5/10, which is Satisfactory. (This is my personal opinion.)

15. Hero Of Fate

Hero Of Fate

Boston, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    I have played it, and Tails doesn't seem to get in the way all that much. There was one part in White Park where I had to do that super Spindash, and that was like it. Now, the good side of it is that you can do the moves whenever, not just at prompts, so you can fly around looking for crap.

16. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    I assume this might be part of the problem people are worrying about, when you can use a boost-esque "69 through enemies at hyper speeds" move all the time. Then again, I also hear it happens to be hard to control, so I'd assume anyone but pros using it outside of obligatory areas like piles of snow will fall into pits or slam into spiked enemies... it doesn't work against spiked enemies, right?

Of course, Tails comboflying at any time isn't really a problem, that's basically Sonic 3 style but possibly more obligatory.

17. Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

^ My only lasting impact to the Sonic community Oldbie
    Damn it, this should be 800 points.

18. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

has covered wars Member
    I don't know why you guys thought it'd be cheaper considering the last one sold so well at its price. It should be, it really should, there are 800 point games with more value to them than either version of Sonic 4 seems to have, but you either wait for a sale or don't buy it at all if you have a problem.

19. Hero Of Fate

Hero Of Fate

Boston, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP

Yeah, the Super Mega Turbo 69-dash isn't easy to control, it only works well in certain circumstances. Flight would be the move you'd probably use out of context the most.

20. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    400 or $5 USD

If anything I wouldn't buy it for $15, nor $10 USD after how burnt I got from episode 1. and the only reason I bought it on wii was to actually see its quality first hand. (Liked the music though)

If Triple Trouble on the 3DS can provide more enjoyment at $5 than S4E1 can at $15, something's wrong.