don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    There are a few places in Carnival Night that are Tails (or Sonic + Tails) exclusive, one area in Sandopolis, Monitor Heaven in Hidden Palace, and it's also possible to completely break Hydrocity's path swappers by flying too. For the most part they're identical, though.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Truthfully I think the homing attack balances the character types out better, Knuckles and Tails' abilities were useful due to granting extra manueverability and allowing access to secret areas and items, something Sonic, even with his shield power ups, was rather limited with. Similar to climbing, homing attack utilizes a clever (but optional) interaction with elements of the level design to access new pathways.

It might make for a better transition if they ever decide to include Amy in her Advance style gameplay, otherwise I thought the B attacks were kinda pointless, being stiffer and time consuming manners of breaking obstacles compared to just jumping on them.

3. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    the point is that while the game has nothing that would be knuckles exclusive, Knuckles in Sonic 2 still exists.

4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    So apparently, Iizuka has this to say in the new ONM:

Commence rage in 5...4...3...

5. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member

I'll take that, ahem

As far as im concerned, EVERY Sonic game Dimps made before Sonic 4 is superior to it

6. Just because it's the best they could do that doesn't mean it is any good. But if Iizuka really feels like that, he shouldn't be working on Sonic games.

I actually liked Sonic 4 better than Rush and Rush Adventure.

7. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    After seeing how terrible the physics were in Sonic Rush, I immediately sold my game out of disgust. Since the game has actual platforming, it is definitely better than Sonic Rush and Advance 2 and 3. However, it does not yet beat out Sonic Advance. Besides the speed boosters were only limited to one level: the very first level of the game.

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Er, no they weren't. They were more prominent in the first level, but every single zone has them.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I agree with this. Although, I kinda liked the Rush games. But S4E1 definitely sits below Advance and above Advance 3 on the DIMPS ladder.

10. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    What I like about Sonic Rush is the gameplay. The high speed, the stunts. All that. The main gripe I have with it is that the landscapes are so uninspired. Most of it is platforms attached to columns or platforms floating on nothing, with no apparent thought put into the design.

At least Sonic 4 has good looking levels.

11. DrunkDoomguy

DrunkDoomguy

UK
    Sonic +
    I was never a big fan of Sonic Rush, always did prefer the Sonic Advance games.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I would note that anyone who is putting Sonic 4 below Sonic Advance 2 is SERIOUSLY kidding themselves. Do you not REMEMBER Sky Canyon?!

13. DrunkDoomguy

DrunkDoomguy

UK
    Sonic +
    One of the strangest bosses ever in a Sonic game.

14. Steven M

Steven M

I do remember it being heavily overrated in terms of difficulty.

15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Oh god I hated the SHIT out of that level, especially the start of one of the Acts. I still stick to my preferences, Advance 1 is better than the rest.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Anyone got that banner from Cult?

S4E1 definitely goes below Advance 2. It beats it out in just about every area. While Sky Canyon has spikes in yo' face, S4 has Bubbles in yo' face. Being serious though, Advance 2 is of a higher quality all around. It was what it was supposed to be and things like music and visuals were consistently good. S4 struggles in all these aspects.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  18. Huh...

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  20. Hmm...Interesting...Wonder who at Retro is closest.

Someone really should go. We need to learn what the feedback they want and give is!!