don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

So it would act like a light dash on enemies/a less crazy light speed attack? That sounds like a much nicer idea.

2. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I said I was going to try and hold off until they put Knuckles in one of the episodes like I wanted in the first place, yet here I am routinely checking the PSN for a download.

I'm pathetic.

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    The entire change with the physics can be boiled down to one simple fact - you have to keep holding the direction. This goes for everything - jumping, bouncing off springs, rolling, running. When you let go of the direction, you'll stop either immediately or shortly after.

However if you hold the direction, the physics do feel a lot like the old games. People say you don't pick up speed when rolling, but that's not true - if you roll and hold right or left, you pick up a lot of speed, more than running in a lot of cases.

The only time that doesn't really hold true is with curved slopes. Those, for some reason, only work with running.

It's a change, but honestly it takes maybe a zone to get used to. Once you switch over, the game feels fun and fast. Funnily enough, I played through Sonic 4 on the wii, then went immediately back to Sonic 2, and found myself overshooting all my jumps because I had switched over lol

worth noting, however, that the last enemy in a bridge using this method doesn't bump you up as high as a normal homing attack does, and a few stages have hidden paths which take advantage of this height bump. LLZ act 1, for example, there's a part where 3 burrowbots pop out of the ground. If you homing attack them all as they're at the apex of their jump, you'll be high enough to lock onto a hidden spring to the left which leads to a pretty substantial hidden upper path.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Just on that note the entire concept on pinball is ruined. Kindy defeat the whole purpose bumpers and flippers.

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

well, on the the subject of flippers and bumpers, they DO retain their momentum for about half of their trajectory. It's kinda weird. You'll shoot off of a flipper and fly forward for a good amount of time, more than anywhere else in the game.

Bumpers, they benefit greatly from being able to change directions instantly. It reminds me of this section from sonic CD:

Skip to 2:30

In fact, there's a part in CSZ act 1 which has this exact section, and bouncing like that leads you to a higher path.

If you search for Sonic 4 on PSN, it's up.

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    The problems with the physics are most visible when moving slowly. Obviously, you're not going to see them in crazy-skilled speedruns.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    blargheth! Update damn PSN store update D: Seriously who the fuck updates anything after 7PM in the US? I mean, I guess it's 4 over on the west coast, so someone could still be working over there, but this is ridiculous right here.

If I was at school I wouldn't care as much but I'm on a break which no one else has which means that no one is around which means I'm bored. This is my entertainment damn it!

EDIT: yay it's out :D

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    EVERYTHING in the gaming world is done by west-coast time. It's one of the reasons I regret being born in New Jersey—all the jobs I give a fuck about are a continent away.

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Again, the game is already up on PSN. Search for "Sonic 4." It's not listed otherwise yet, but I'm already downloading it.

10. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    I had to adapt as well. The game got a tad better with subsequent playthoughs, but at the end of the day [/tweaker], I shouldn't have to "switch over."

I am also running into every bug that's in this game. I feel like a copy of this game for free because this particular download was cursed or something, haha.

11. PSNers, how long is the demo? Just one act? I hope not, considering that you can blaze through it in 40 seconds (Rehearsed, that is, lol)

12. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    WHHAAAAT?! I could have been... ugh...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU.....

Thank you. lol

13. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    So, having now beaten it, with all the emeralds, and watched the ending, I can now safely say I want episode 2. This was a decent enough game for me to enjoy another chunk, and jesus christ the ending was a tease.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Playing this with my Saturn controller is making me tear up

this is fucking awesome

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    [​IMG]
    :U

16. I think that's a poor switch to make. I'll put a gun in my mouth the day I realize I'm playing the classic games worse because I "switched" to Sonic 4!

Yeah, platforming is the biggest problem.

17. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    That looks miiiighty uncomfortable :v:

18. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Welp, the saturn control pad is a fucking dream with sonic 4. I'm so happy that the entire game, Special stages and all, can be played with it. And really, it controls incredibly with the pad.

So awesome. I can play the entire sonic quadrology with the same controller.

Also, I guess I'm getting a special shout out. 3 versions purchased so far. I think I'll make a clean sweep and go for 4 tomorrow.

19. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
  20. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
    [​IMG]

:psyduck:

[​IMG]