don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Fear not, it's the remix from Winter Olympics.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Here's the video game toy and TV character, complete with Splash Hill music. It's just the 2012 Olympics music, so nothing new.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEZdHwbWjuI[/youtube]

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I kept saying "HIT THE TREE! HIT THE TREE!" :v:

4. I dunno if anyone else remembers it but this medley is much older than the new Olympics game. I think this is from June 2010.

5. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Even though I'm not the biggest fan of 4-1's music, the crappy quality of the synths lies in how they're used.

I've got quite a few of the instruments, including our favorite lead, on my Korg Triton LE. Before the game, I dug the cat-like synth on its own. Now I'm kinda scared of it. But I know that under the right circumstances (which do not include Senoue's particular brand of in-game music, as further shown by short bits in Generations) it'd be fine.

One of these days I'll get around to showing that one of the Event themes from Heroes wasn't actually composed for a Sonic game, but just uses a built-in loop (y'know, one of those "here's one to get you started" deals) from the Triton. (:ssh:)

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    See, that's funny because I think as compositions the music in Sonic 4 is some of Senoue's best work; I maintain that if he hadn't forced himself to use the synths he did, it would have been really good.

7. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Well, except for the awkward loops. If the songs had intros, though, it could've been fantastic.

8. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Muteki - For compositions they feel a bit 'average' to me, but I can still dig 'em well enough. They're okay to me on their own, but the choice of instruments just kills 'em. That little cameo in Generations of the S4 Title theme... I was so close to actually enjoying it. Had it been Senoue's standard "buttrock guitar playing the lead melody" instead of the cat synth, I would have honestly really enjoyed it making a cameo like it did. Using the cat synth as the lead in the way he does though - I get that he's going for a purposely retro feeling, but in particular the cat synth just feels like it beats you over the head with that point.

...which I didn't used to think of the cat synth when I used it on my own before S4 debuted. Now I can't "unhear" the retro "feeling".

Hm... Maybe tomorrow I'll mess around with it on my Triton and try tweaking it to make it stick out less.

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    SSMB user "Ezodagrom" claims to have found this in the Steam registry:

[​IMG]

Welp.

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    The only thing that surprises me about that is how long it took to finally do it.

I may consider getting it on Steam if it's $10 or less. There was no reason for it to be as expensive as it was a year ago, much less now.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Oooooh boy, this is going to be fucking sweet. I'm betting some sweet mods to make this game play more genesis like.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Are there any other confirmations or is it just one guy?

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Its probably being put on Steam because they may put Episode 2 and such on Steam as well as home consoles.

14. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Makes sense. They've been playing up how it's being tied to Sonic CD, which is on every not-Nintendo system, including Steam. To not would make it an incomplete storyline. At this rate it's a safe bet that every Sonic game capable of standard console controls is going on PC in some way.

15. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Well, I already have it for the PS3 but maybe I'll buy the Steam version someday if people mod it to have good physics. Main reason I never play it anymore is because the physics are just so bad. That, and it's not that great of a game. >_> I do like it though, but it should have never been called Sonic 4 in the state it was in.

Edit-

Since they're porting stuff to PC, I wonder if they'll ever port Sonic Unleashed now that the hedgehog engine has been designed to work on PC. They could include enhanced Generations controls and allow people to skip the werehog parts! :D That would be nice. <_<

16. Falk

Falk

Colors at 60fps?

Please?

17. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Either Sega has a bizarre newfound love affair with the PC platform or Generations PC is selling well enough to justify bringing over more Sonic games. In any case, it's pretty strange for them to be porting Episode 1 this late in the game.

18. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Well, judging by how long Generations was on the top 20 for Steam's best selling games, I think it probably did pretty well. That, and the quality of their games is improving so they probably think people are less likely to pirate it for that reason. I know one person who pirated DNF because he assumed it would probably suck. This same person has a ton of legally bought games on Steam. I assume scenarios like that are pretty common.

19. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    A few months is a little on the optimistic side, I think. Episode 1 took 13 months from initial reveal to release. I doubt it'll take them that long this time, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get it until into the summer.