don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

2. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I agree with this. I'm really looking forward to episode 2 since it will probably have more original concepts (but we'll see).

@Music stuff: I'm amazed at how simple the music is, and the progress so far. Keep it up guys.

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I've decided that I really can't stand the new Mad Gear theme instrumentation. The thing is, major parts of them now sound god-awful, and those same parts are the ones that sounded good in their original versions. Mad Gear, being a techy theme for a techy level, actually sounded more or less alright when it sounded all synthy. That said, there are parts that definitely sound better, too.

4. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    I'm losing my mind. I've been staring down PSN all day and still nothing. Anyone have any idea? I've waited quite a long time in my days to play this game, and there's no reason that I should still be waiting 15 minutes after 6 PM on release day. Where is my game?! :(

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Same here. I was gonna download the demo on PSN to test it out but it's just not up there. :\

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    This was posted by SEGA on Twitter two hours ago.

7. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Well, it looks like the guy who holds the world record for Emerald Hill 1 decided to post a speed run of Splash Hill 1. He's pretty good, I might try to go for his record.

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Right this is all the midi for Splash Hill Zone. I had to redo act 1 as the last one had some midi missing when it was converted so discard that one if you downloaded it.

Splash Hill Zone all acts

Others are coming soon.

9. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    After watching that video.. what's wrong with the physics again? That looks pretty damn fun to me, at least for speed runners and such. What version is he playing? The hud looks like iPhone but the visuals look like Xbox.

10. synchronizer

synchronizer

I think that's the PS3 version...speaking of which I wanted to play it today but they had to make the playstation store update post 6:30 PM on a school night.

EDIT: Also, can you do Mad Gear Zone Act 1 next? I'd really like to have a MIDI of that.

11. Gunner112k

Gunner112k

Catch Thirty-Three Oldbie
    For the first few minutes the physics made me want to punch my screen, but then I realized if I wanted physics resembling the Genesis games I had to hold directional buttons in order for Sonic to have momentum while rolling. It reminds me of the old days when SFGHQ fan games were king.

For a recipe of instant rage, do the following:

1. Spindash like a motherfucker
    2. Jump immediatly afterwards with no directions pressed
    3. ???????????
    4. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

12. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    This is a complete guess, but I'm assuming from the visuals and slightly altered hud along with the "New Record!" at the end that the video was a video of the Time Attack mode on the PS3. duerpdurp

13. I like that speed run a lot. The game looks like it'll be fun to do some time attack with.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's depends if it's the next one in line. I'm doing them in order so I can keep track with where I am. Though really I'm planning on getting the 4 main zones out the way first before I upload again.

15. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I don't want to sound like a 10 year old Sonic fanboy frothing at the mouth, but dayum, I really can't get over how much fun that video made the game look. It really looks like it plays like a decent successor to the original Sonic games (Or at the very least Sonic 2), I'm estatic to pick this up Saturday, where I'll be playing it with my friend on his HDTV. fgthyujk shit the Sonic hype train is happening to me again fuuuuuuuuck :(

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    He's using the trick that I saw someone post earlier in this thread - if you manage your jump, and hold off on using the homing attack until you are slightly below and to the left of a homing bridge, then hold right, you'll bounce up the bridge using only one homing attack.

Doing this feels fun and adds a lot to these bridges. You can do this on any homing bridge, and you'll shoot up there faster.

17. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    In Time Attack mode, the normal H.U.D. is replaced with the one seen in this video, that will most likely be the same across the Wii, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 versions.

It doesn't look like the Wii Sonic 4 videos I've been watching, so it may be the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 version, but I'm not sure. Might be the Wii version recorded with different display settings....

Disregard that.

:rolleyes:

18. Gunner112k

Gunner112k

Catch Thirty-Three Oldbie
    I can attest to the fact that physics take a little while to get used to, but it's not nearly as bad as anyone made it out to be. However, the differences in physics make the Sonic object look completely unrealistic at times, like spindashing into oblivion to only roll a few feet, but that can be fixed by pressing the directional buttons.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

"GamesRadar's Justin Towell, who holds the Guinness World Record for the Xbox 360 version of Sonic 2, puts in an early speedrun on the first level of Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 on the PS3. Can you go faster?"

In the video's comments section. Also, characteristic of the PS3 version is a different sort of lighting on Sonic's model.

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That was me that mentioned this trick. :eng101:

And yes, it makes me wish they made the homing attack function like this without having to go out of the way to do it. It feels much better.