don't click here

Sonic AYII

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    [​IMG]
    I'd say I'm continuing the evolution (in the amount of detail). Though my one pops because it is very incomplete.

Obviously, If I feel the dithering gets too much I'll change that. But for now, let's just wait see how it looks when I get more done :)

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I think the dithering looks great, especially if you're going for more of a 32X style.

So, any thoughts on level design yet? Will you be evolving from 3K's exploratory design or receding to 1/2's more linear focus?

3. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    No reason you can't have both. A speedy, time attackable act 1, followed by a vast, explorable act 2/3.

4. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Well, Sonica might as well have made him shut right up.

Golly. Talk about an actual evolution of the medium there. Moreso than Lake Fepard's BtS and AtS are (Hey, not saying this as a negative, just wish you'd focus more on not doing interquels; it makes your work all the more jarring for me).

But yeah, looks like a title to transition Sonic from the Genesis to the 32X. Really sweet.

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Who? Black Squirrel? I agree with him to a certain extent, I was explaining why I made the choice to dither everything so much it in the first place.

About level design, one thing I liked about Sonic 3 was it's awesome level design. But yeah, I think a best of both thing would work well.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So Sonica, sounds like your changing up the levels instead of keeping the same levels from the original Sonic 4 but redoing them. what zones are you planning?

Also, are you keeping the same plot Sonic 4 had?

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    well there's an actual 32X game so

Angel Island isn't a good example. Most of the level is played while on fire and I suspect a lot of its set pieces are meant to look as if they're flame damaged, even if for half of the first act they aren't. Other levels in the game don't have this, most notably Mushroom Hill

idk it just doesn't look very "clean" to me. Your HD stuff did.

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I'm removing the excessive dithering. I've been convinced (but I was going to a bit, anyway)
    After, I'll let you guys have a look before I continue though.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    [​IMG]
    (Left - Undithered, Right - Old)
    Certainly makes a difference. I'm not so sure now... You know I might stick with the dithered one.

10. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Hmm... left I reckon. Seems to have a bit more pop to it.

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think this is the best rendition so far, personally. Love the colours.

12. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    I would personally make the left undithered and combine it with the dithered rocks. That way it looks more original, the left ones looks too much like the rocks from Lava Reef.

13. dsrb

dsrb

+1 on Black Squirrel's edited colours, +1 on dithered rocks ;)

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like giving feedback, but Sonica, don't let us nitpick you to death, please. Pick something you like and run with it. It's your game afterall, and in the end the colours and dithering of the rocks probably aren't going to matter too much.

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Black Squirrel's is growing on me! But either that or the original (un-dithered) are both really good!

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Right, the dithering on the rocks I thought was rather cool, though the dithering on the squares not so much, why not compromise with dithered rocks and non-dithered squares? The grass and the palm trees look brilliant, and fit in well with the rock patterns you have, could I suggest some sort of unique ending edge (I.e. similar to the bevelling edges of Green Hill Zone's walls, or the thin checkered cylinders on the edges of Emerald Hill Zone's walls)? I can't wait to see what you have in store for the background, because you know what they say, the backgrounds always change how the foregrounds look.

In regards to the whole Sonic 4 theming, I wouldn't say it's as I would imagine a Sonic 4, but I do prefer the theming and style you're using for that logo in your signature to what I would imagine as a Sonic 4, so cool stuffs all the way!

17. Minferno

Minferno

Before I joined sonic retro I was lurking in this part of the forum. Sonic 4 AYII was one of my favourite topics here and it was a real shame to see it go. But I'm so glad you resurrected it! Great work so far; just please don't focus on small detail like dithering! Like squad said please pick a style you really enjoy and go with it; after all it is your project! I'm sure everyone would be pleased with whatever options you choose.

For the first zone, what sort if image were you going for? From the concept art you posted it seems like a shipwreck theme. Or am I wrong?

18. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Ok, I've read your opinions, I know what I'm going to do with it now. A kinda middle of the two... well you'll see.

I can only work on it on weekends though. It'll be rare you see graphical updates on weekdays, as I have stuffs to do.

But yes! Enough discussion on that small detail. Don't want this topic to go 'community project' style (again). :v:

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    You're a smart man :v:

Super pumped to see this project develop!

20. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Nice stuff, Sonica. Not trying to be nitpicky but I guess you should add the white part of Sonic sneakers back to its running animation, it doesn't look bad or stuff like that, but for me that always seemed responsable to give the impression of actual rotation of his legs.

Also,
    I loved the color palette on this one and infact would encorage you to follow this direction (vintage-y colors schemes are awesome), but Sonic seems a bit out of place with these colors... Just something to keep in mind if you decide to take this route on the artistic part of the project.