don't click here

Sonic 3d Level select (alternate code)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by WyraachUr, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    OMG, It's Tom41! I haven't seen you in ages.

Anyway, nice explaination. Cart swapping is played off as dangerous, but over the years I have yet to see any danger from doing so.

2. Lightning

Lightning

indeed Tech Member
    Well, in Sonic Heroes, I know that the engine can handle loops without a fixed path. In... Hang Castle, was it? The one you could flip upside-down... If you make it into that loop that you grind on the bottom of when the level is flipped, you can run around the loop without one of those movement patterns catching you.

3. Epicenter

Epicenter

Resident Ecco Fanatic Tech Member
    USA
    Ecco Prototype Documentation
    S3D Blast is pretty far from pushing the hardware to its limits. It doesn't even come close. The most stressful thing it does is the little Cinepack video at the start of the game that drove up the price of the cartrige to psychotic levels. :P Donkey Kong Country is so technologically inept it's hilarious, it also suffers from 'Hey look we pre-rendered some sprites on shoddy 3d hardware' syndrome, and Yoshi's Island is just a gimmick factory of ugly rotation effects courtesy of the expensive add-on chip in the cartridge.

If you want to see games that truly stress the hardware, try Ecco 2, Gunstar Heroes, Vectorman, or Panorama Cotton.

It takes a lot to give a 68000 a workout. It doesn't take a lot to make the horrific 65c816 chip in the SNES break a sweat. It doesn't help that it's a 16-bit register hack on 8-bit CPU on an 8-bit bus, either.

4. Kles

Kles

Even DOOM made the 65c816 sweat.

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    oh yeah, all of the 3d engines can handle it, but all of the games use the aided movements I talked about earlier. Ever try running those giant loops in twinkle park? You can do it, but without the movement pattern it is wicked hard to control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.