don't click here

Sonic 3D Blast, Saturn Binary

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Andeed, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    I've been scouring the internet to find an ISO or BIN of Sonic 3D and there only seems to be the one about. I can't get it to run on any emulator I've tried (Cassini and Satourne). Can anyone help me with this? I've never owned a Saturn so I can't dump or use a game disc.

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    I've had it work in SSF using DAEMON Tools to make the replaceent screenshots on the wiki...

3. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Could you send me an ISO of Sonic 3D? I only have the BIN file. SSF only runs discs (or disc images through a virtual drive, as you said). Or is there a way of packing the BIN and CUE files into an ISO so that it can be used this way?

4. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    You should be able to load the CUE file in DAEMON Tools.

5. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    I've mounted the CUE with DAEMON Tools but when the BIOS is loaded in SSF it says "Disc unsuitable for this system"

6. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Most Saturn games — Sonic 3D included — don't need BIOS files; remove it and it should work. The issue is probably a region mismatch or something, IDK.

7. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Tried that but then nothing happens... Probably a bad ROM or something :/ Is there anywhere you know of that hosts a good dump, or would you be able to send me one?

8. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Doesn't it say that for imported titles, as well? It's possible that your options are set to check the wrong region coding.

9. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Saturn games are region locked. Set the emulator to the correct region and the game will run fine. Alternatively you can set SSF to not use any bios files (there's a separate checkbox for that), and it'll automatically select the region in this case, but some games may exhibit compatibility problems if no BIOS is used (an emulator issue).
    Contrary to popular belief, the version of the BIOS will not matter. The Saturn is region locked by a set of hardware jumpers, the BIOS however works on any region hardware.

The bin/cue is a backup CD Image of a compact disc, either burn it with your preferred cd burning app, or mount it in a CD emulator such as Daemon Tools or that thing included with Alcohol 120%. Burning is the way if you want to run it on your console, mounting is preferred if you want to run it in an emulator.

Cassini is a badly hacked version of Girigiri, done by a team of scammers. Some versions are also packaged with viruses. Satourne is an OK emulator, except that it barely emulates the hardware (I've seen pre-alpha 6-month hackjobs that did better). Neither was updated for a lot of years now. SSF is the only decent Saturn emulator for playing games, Yabause is also good but mostly for debugging.

10. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine

I've tried with and without BIOS and checked against all region codes but to no avail - it still doesn't load.
    I'm using SSF and DAEMON tools to mount to virtual drive, by the way...

11. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Load the thing in SRP to see if its a Saturn game at all (if it is one, SRP will tell you what region code you have to set your emulator to).

12. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Arrrgh!! Just realised, I have two virtual drives and I had the emulator set to the wrong one >.<
    Sorry!! Thanks for the help :)