don't click here

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Sep 8, 2017.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This just in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4eZcTmVM4

Highlights:
    • Split screen!
    • Different graphics in a partly built, Green Grove-ish test level.
    • Sonic controls like a Micro Machine. Can't jump or do anything other than move around like an idiot.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow, I never expected to see split screen in 3D blast in any capacity. That's really cool, wonky sounding controls though.

I hope this guy finds more builds to show these are really cool.

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    This gamehut site has been killing it lately, wtf?

4. CSketch

CSketch

The sketchiest guy you've ever seen Member
    Controlling Sonic like that must've been a pain, I wonder if that was just a test or if they were really planning to go ahead with that...Probably the former. The splitscreen really interests me though! I wonder if it would be possible to reimplement it back into the game through hacking...However, hacking for the Sega Saturn is very scarce because I think I read that it was hella difficult? So we might never see it, kind of sad really, because I wish I could use the Super Sonic in 3D Blast hack on the Sega Saturn port since it controls way better.

Also dude, I really appreciate your efforts for giving us these super early prototype builds, but no matter how much Richard Jaques music you play, I shall still prefer the Genesis soundtrack...Even if the Sega Saturn version is basically superior in almost every other way.

5. Skaarg

Skaarg

Can't blame them for scrapping this idea. Would have never worked well in faster parts of the game. Very cool that all of this is being released though. I'm curious if this means early on Tails and Knuckles were meant to be playable.

Also hi. :V

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Tank controls in a Sonic game? So glad they didn't do this. Imagine if they did and it set a trend, so e.g. Sonic Adventure would control like a classic Tomb Raider game.

7. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Theres a Sonic R video he released in there too...great stuff!

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's cause it's is run by the founder of Traveller's Tales, Jon Burton.

Also it's a YouTube channel, not a website. :v:

9. Nice! Great that's he keeps sharing Sonic stuff from the TT days, would love to see more

Also, that music

EDIT didn't realize the founder went on to become exec producer on the Lego movie, that's quite an achievement

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Well, all Traveller's Tales has been making for the past decade or so is Lego games, including The Lego Movie Videogame, so him being an executive producer on the movie makes sense.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fantastic little video - nice to see a potential multiplayer WAS tried considering it was the first Sonic Mega Drive title since the very first one not to have one in some form (hell, even fucking ERASER has a 2P mode). A shame it didn't work.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Sonic & knuckles has no multiplayer :V

13. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    Whoa this is amazing, I certainly would have loved a competition mode in this game, shame it was scrapped. It also looks like the collision is like the Sonic crackers field stages where you can walk anywhere you want to.
    Pretty sure it actually does (leftover from Sonic 3) but I guess that wouldn't count because it's inaccessible.

14. Chris-M

Chris-M

At first I thought that this was a build for the Saturn version with how good those graphics looked, I had to re-play the video from the beginning just to make sure. I'm disapppointed they didn't make to the final build, they look way better than the ones we've got. I didn't think the controls could get any worse with how slippery they are, but tank controls... I can't even imagine.

After watching the video I'm not surprised that they dropped the split-screen multiplayer, especially with the exploration focus on the game. Maybe it could have worked for a limited mode with smaller levels like Competition Mode on Sonic 3&K.

It would be nice to know the date of this build, since apparently TT was starting to develop games on that tight seven month schedule.

Also, according to a response to a comment, the Sonic Pool thing was never suggested for the Special Stages for the Saturn version.

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Tank controls aren't that bad when you get used to them. The way they describe the controls, they were like Micro machines. And that game is quite playable once you get the hang of them, allowing you to zip by.

16. Chris-M

Chris-M

I get what you mean but I'm not sure they could work very well on an isometric platformer. In fact I'm not sure any isometric platformer controls well at all, or maybe it's just me. I always get confused with the directions on isometric-view games, like the old FIFAs and R.C. ProAm for example.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Maybe they should have tried using the interlaced mode before completely ditching the idea. =\

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    S3&K is one game. ;P

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I've noticed this "top down racers are hard to control" thing turn up a few times in recent years - it might stem from an old AVGN episode or something. Best not to point out that every single third-person racing game uses the same control scheme, albeit with a different camera angle (that technically obscures more of the road ahead and should make driving more difficult... but whatever).

Geuninely - does anyone even know how it works? There's only two Mega Drive games I know of that use the feature, and despite nearly 20 years of research into the subject, I can't recall any Sonic 2 hacks that touch the two-player mode (e.g. nobody's made other zones like Chemical Plant work in multiplayer).

My guess is was either completely undocumented back in the early 90s or it was beyond horrible to work with.

20. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Spinball doesn't technically either. Well, not simultaneously anyway. Not to be a smart arse, or anything.

Now that I think about it. Spinball's 'multiplayer' is pretty redundant. While Super Mario Bros. does the same thing with multiplayer, Spinball's level design is more constructed to a single level taking a fair while to complete (with the Machine and Showdown taking even longer to try and complete).