don't click here

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Sep 8, 2017.

1. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    You disable display, set DMA auto increment to zero and do a large DMA to CRAM overwriting the background color. I don't remember the exact limits, but you can basically use the entire color range of the VDP (except for colors specific to shadow/highlight) in an image.

2. Flygon

Flygon

Completely ties up the system bus while the display is being updated. It acts as a continuous DMA transfer from - and this's by my own flawed understanding so somebody much smarter than me please correct me - either the RAM or ROM towards the CRAM while the display is turned off.

Naturally, this doesn't leave much time for either CPU to actually do anything when the screen isn't being drawn.

3. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie

CRAB! CRAAAAAB!

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hell yes its the crab ! !
    There were other unused enemies in here too right ? some under water enemies I don't remember seeing. (Like the octopus abd puffer fish?)
    or maybe my memory is so bad.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The octopus was used in puppet panic or gene gadget I think while the puffer fish was used in spring stadium (was that the name?)

Still though, beta Crab! That's awesome. I'm curious now though is this editor still in the game? That'd be a fun debug mode to play with.

6. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    ok now I got to wonder how deep we've really dug into 3d blast.

Also the Octopus was used in Gen Gadget and the puffer fish, same zone as well as Spring Stadium If mI remember correctly.

7. Hukos

Hukos

I'm wondering if this feature was still left in any old the betas that exist?

Regardless, this is pretty incredible!

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    "Hunter" might be vague (and odd since it doesn't "hunt") but it's a step up from Green Grove Zone Badnik 2. Someone with more patience will have to work out the other names from that footage.

The comments on the crab are interesting...
    [​IMG]
    I think it was assumed this shot was a mock-up, but not remembering what the crab did might confirm it was never put in a playable build of the game.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sure I'll help you out:

GG Badnik 1 = Scouter
    SS Badnik 1 = Dragfly
    SS Badnik 3 = Shell (Maybe?)
    SS Badnik 4 = Fish
    GG Badnik 1 = Octopus
    GG Badnik 2 = Mouse
    RR Badnik 1 = Crock
    RR Badnik 2 = Bee
    DD Badnik 1 = Snowman (Maybe)
    DD Badnik 2 = Bunny (again maybe)
    DD Badnik 3 = Pengo

Also shown were EggClaw and EggBall, they're possibly bosses but I have no idea. Also some of these badniks weren't actually shown, but judging from how simple the other names are I'm just assuming that's what their names are.

Also that's really cool how anything can be placed anywhere. I really want to screw around with that editor for that reason.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm wondering if that editor is in any of the existing Sonic 3D betas...

11. Felik

Felik

Wait but I remember someone (probably the person who made no flickies mode) said that level geometry and object placement is heavily compressed in order to fit in on the cart. Wouldn't it be too difficult to both edit levels on the go and compress them?

12. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    Huh! I guess in a game with old SEGA Arcade game characters like Flicky, a Pengo would exist!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also "Egg Ball" and "Egg Claw" would be referring to items used in Eggman boss battles, which use a spikeball and hands respectively.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Hmm...Think we could get him to release a patch that hacks back in the debug stuff for us to mess around with?

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sik would probably enjoy this stuff.

15. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Man, it's like Sonic 3D's own Debug mode. That would have been an amazing cheat to have in-game!

On another note, considering how secretive Sega have been over other Sonic prototype stuff (the casette, the 'binders'), is there any reason why all this Sonic 3D behind the scenes info is coming out now without any issues? Surely prototype game data is just as important as prototype music?

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

This was posted yesterday. Mr. Burton explains the method for rendering high color pics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8qgArSqMsc

17. Flygon

Flygon

Yep, called it. :v:

I threw together some simulated tests of what a few images could've looked like with the mode. But some of them rely on the interlace flag being turned on, and assuming that works.

Nothing of huge interest, of course. Really easy to generate these simulations - the lazy way that I did them. But I actually quite deliberately chose photos or artworks that'd look bad rendered using this method, for the sake of showing why it may've been a bad idea anyway.

The bottom one even has a low enough amount of colours to be renderable with standard methods, that's how utterly disappointing 9-bit RGB is!

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Fascinating stuff, though having a "tuner" isn't too different from modern video games forcing you to tweak the gamma settings on boot.

This one is actually better because you can clearly see when something's right, as opposed to "so you can barely see the logo".

19. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I can't help it, when I hear his native British voice say 'Genesis' instead of 'Mega Drive' I shake my head and take a sip of my yorkshire tea. I let it slide when he was calling it "3D Blast" but now this just ain't proper! Any more of this lip an guff and I'm grassin' him up to the queen. :argh:

20. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Holy balls. Jon Burton is doing a director's cut of Sonic 3D, including an inspired Super Sonic and a bunch of fixes and features!

http://youtu.be/K_aal1U7bGQ