don't click here

Sonic 3C(ustomizable)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hayate, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Those who played the PC version first probably get nostalgia from the PC version's music. When I first played S3&K on Sonic Mega Collection, I was really shocked by how drastically different the music was for three of the zones and originally preferred the PC version's music because it was what I was used to. Nowadays, I'd much rather listen to the Genesis music but I still like the PC version of Carnival Night Zone, Ice Cap Zone, and Launch Base Zone. Heck, I find the PC version's music for ICZ and LBZ to be pretty underrated. Granted, the Genesis version of ICZ is vastly better but I always liked how the intro to the PC version of LBZ sounds similiar to music from the PC version of ICZ and then goes in a very different direction which seems fitting because the level starts with snow.

2. TechWizard86

TechWizard86

This is a wonderful hack. The best I have seen yet of Sonic 3 and Knuckles. However it has one game play flaw that I hope will be fixed in the future. You cannot get past Launch Base Zone Act 02. Allow me to explain.

The Death Egg does not appear when you get into Eggman's Egg Mobile. A bunch of blue letters and numbers (which I am assuming are memory addresses and references) are in its place and when you hop out of the Egg Mobile to fight the boss a second time you fall directly into a hole as the platform is not there. Great hack but if you could fix that it would be really, really good. I was using just Tails on the profile when this occurred.

3. Oh God Thankyou!! :D

Looking forward to putting that onto my flashcart later. ^_^

Gonna keep an eye on that thread.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I played the Genesis/Megadrive version first and still like the PC tunes (even if that's nothing against the originals). I admit they don't have the same atmospheric quality as the Genesis ones (though that could perhaps be owed more to unique instrumentation that was harder to do with MIDIs, probably why they chose to make different tunes in the first place) but they are catchy and very Sonic-y in tone (especially CN1 and LB2). It's sorta like comparing the two soundtracks for CD, the US one was good, just it was in place of another equally good soundtrack.

That said perhaps I am putting too much into this, no one has said anything about porting the PC music for the hack so it is a bit of a moot point.

Trial members from what I know are allowed to make the same comments as normal ones, just with limited posts. If anything you should make as much use of those limited posts as possible.

5. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I'll probably not work on it until around Christmas.

I seem to have a habit of doing Sonic hacking around that time of year. =\

There isn't enough duplicate data in the ROM to be able to get it down to 2MB without affecting gameplay. As such I use most of the space freed by duplicate data for my own stuff anyway (e.g. Amy).

Well. um. I just tested it now with Tails and then with Sonic and you're right, you get a bunch of letters instead of the Death Egg. I guess I must have broken it somehow between the last two releases.

6. Master3k

Master3k

I've just played (gimme a break, it's the first time I visit these threads in about 8999 years) it... Amazing, and S3!

Great job!
    I'd prefer SCD Amy sprites (though as you said, I'm glad these aren't Advance sprites), but it's still great.

7. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
    Carnival Night 2 on the PC version is an incredible track. Definitely better than the original in my book.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoj7kUXbrX0

I would gladly replace the genesis version of act 2 with that.

You can leave the others. Ice Cap's PC theme, while very good, is not spectacular like the genesis theme. I never thought Launch Base's themes fit the concept of a 'Launch Base' well and I grew up with the PC version of the game, even though I think they are better tracks than the Genesis tracks. I wouldn't use them. They belong on a different level. On that note, the graphics themselves never looked like a Launch Base to me. Minarets? I don't get that. Is Aladdin going to get out and Launch the Death Egg?

8. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    So I finally got back to doing stuff with this hack.

Messing around with the bonus stages... and look what happens!

[​IMG]

It played AIZ1 music, and the game actually worked fine until just after the transition to HCZ2 (AIZ2??) where the palette got a bit messed up and it wouldn't load the next act, so Sonic got stuck behind a wall.

Edit: Pretty patterns~... unfortunately this crashes the game.

[​IMG]

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yay, the projects back in action. :D

What modifications were you making to the bonus stages then?

10. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Changes so far since the last version:
    - Fixed the special stage results screen character name. (finally!)
    - Patch option 13: Use new special stage mechanic.
    - Patch option 14: Gain rings from enemies SATSEE-style.

As for special/bonus stages, I challenge you to start a new no-save game with Sonic alone and get the first Chaos emerald. :v:

If you have trouble, I'll post hints in spoiler tags.

http://var.projectnanako.com/junk/S3C-1.2.2.zip

Not uploading to retro wiki yet because really, a few hours' work is not worth the webspace. I'll put a new version on the wiki once I get the remaining Amy sprites in, regenerate the customizer which is sorely outdated by now and release version 2.0.

11. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I have no idea if this is as intended, but I got to the special stage when I reached the top of the magnetic orbs bonus stage.

Then I got the first emerald.

12. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Congrats, I was waiting for someone to figure it out.

You'll hopefully also notice I slightly modified the conditions for getting into the bonus stages.

13. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    Reminds me of the unpleasantness you could create in the original Sonic 3 level select by hitting a starpost and hopping to another level. FWIW, the music would've been HCZ1 if not for the AIZ1/ICZ1 track resume fix.

It wasn't too hard to figure out for me, because I remember reading it on the Planned Features bit on the Wiki. ;)

Works nicely though, good job. Just one extra little buglet I noticed - the double ring monitors spawning in place of giant rings disappear if you leave the screen and go back.

14. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    ...*checks the wiki*

...Oh my god, I don't even remember writing that. What I did yesterday was thought up yesterday and I somehow managed to pull off exactly what I'd previously planned and forgotten about!

They're supposed to, for now. :v: They'll be changed later.

15. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

Yes, power is an optional patch.

16. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    awesome :D can't wait for the next release!

17. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I was considering releasing right now actually, then I went to Hidden Palace and the game crashed ;_;

That said, I'm pretty sure it always did crash at that point as Amy, I've just never gotten a chance to obtain a Super Emerald as her before. Might as well try and fix the bug though!

18. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    That latest screenshot looks really good.

19. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    You might've spotted this or had it reported already, but in the last version posted, Amy seems to crash the slot machine bonus stage too.

20. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Amy's crashed the slot machine bonus stage ever since she was first added in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.