don't click here

Sonic 3 - worst level design...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheLazenby, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangar

Vangar

Weeeeeeeeeeeel I saw it as a joke, even if it wasn't funny. Lets just continue.

I wonder if the levels in Sonic Xtreme would have had gimmicks and creative things in them. I never really tried looking for them in the videos myself.

2. Honestly, I think S3&K had GREAT level design. Some levels were very long, yes, but that's what made them good, in my opinion.

Also, as far as the Advance series, I agree that the level design in SA1 and SA3 were somewhat lacking; the former's were a little too linear, and the latter's were much too cluttered for my liking. However, I've always loved the level design in SA2, and even now I ocassionally whip out my cartridge for some Time Attack, attempting to beat my previous records. I know a lot of people say that SA2 is the pits, but something about the Zones there just really catches my fancy. I've always enjoyed trying to find the perfect, shortest path through the levels, where I can keep up my speed and take advantage of the environment most effectively.

3. Shade

Shade

Yeah, Sonic Advance 2 was wonderfully designed, I don't see why so many people have beef with it. I can say the same for the other 2 Advance games as well. Easily the best of the recent wave of Sonic games.

4. Kampfer

Kampfer

Besides Hydrocity 1 and Marble Garden 2, Sonic 3's acts were very well done. Sonic and Knucles were better though.

Ice Cap kicked ass.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. " -Voltaire

5. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    About the Advance games, Advance 1 had the best level layouts IMO. Advance 2's were alright but they had too many bottomless pits after Music Plant. Advance 3's just sucked because, as was said, they are way too cluttered of things that make you stop every 5 seconds.

The level designs in Sonic Rush would certainly rival S3&K's IF they removed the bottomless pits (which were actually far less common, but still annoying), the convex corners and the thinness of the platforms.

Chaotix also had convex corners and thin platforms, hence why I really don't like the levels in that game. Its music and graphics make it worth playing. :P

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Except Sandopolis.

7. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I completely agree. S3K ftw!

8. Blazer

Blazer

Sonic 3, along with Sonic & Knuckles has THE BEST level design in any Sonic game. The stages are HUGE and have TONS of paths. Which actually is a GOOD thing. The stages in their prequels are just TOO SHORT. Of course, that's my opinion.

I'm not a big fan of the SAdv2 level design because after a while, the stages becomes dull: you just will have to hold foward and jump some times to beat them. You need almost no skill to beat them. They fixed that in SAdv3.

I don't need to stop evey 5 secs. I can avoid the obstacles while running (which is the point of the game), rarely being actually hit by anything. THere are parts where I have to stop, but the level design is the one which makes me do it, in order to prevent me from having to just hold foward and jump all the time like in SAdv2.
    I think SAdv3 is bashed just because people suck at it. No, I'm not saying it to sound rude or to flame SAdv3 haters. I'm saying it because of comments SAdv3 haters said that made gave me that impression. They always say that is impossible to beat the stages without being hit or losing lifes (which is bullshit, because I can do it), and that is impossible see the enemies and obstacles while going at full speed (which I can do, too). Or that special stages and boss battles are too hard.
    Not to brag about it, but to point that the fact that someone can beat proves that they ARE beatables, despite what SAdv3 bashers say.

I like bottomless pits because:
    a) They increase difficulty
    and b) Since in Sonic games you always go running through walls, loops and such at full speed, the fact you can die at any second by pressing a wrong button makes the gameplay more exciting and "realistic".

The real joy of Chaotix is in playing it with a friend.

9. Definitely. In addition to their comparative shortness, the stages in S1 and S2 also tended to be much more linear in nature that the S3&K stages. I think this is the very reason that S3&K is considered to be the pinnacle of the series by so many - which is something that the later two Advance games were moderately sucessful in emulating. Those games include multiple potential routes through each level. This was done in Advance 1 to an extent as well, but it's not as well-executed as it is in SA2 and SA3.

As for my comment that SA3 has more cluttered level design; don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that makes the game too hard to play or anything. It does, however, make it a little poor for Time Attack; compare the levels in SA2, most of which can be completed in under a minute and a half if you know the stage well, with those in SA3, which regularly take upwards of two or three minutes, even when you know what you're doing. This isn't a bad thing in normal gameplay - not at all - but it's bad for Time Attack. So while it's true that it takes less work to get through a SA2 Zone, that can be a good thing too. There's something nice about being able to pick up your game, play through one of the first several levels in an attempt to beat your previous record, and be done, all in about a minute or so. Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with SA3 - Chaos Angel Zone is easily one of my favorites in the whole series, and the music and backgrounds of many levels are really quite impressive. Back to SA2, many claim that you can beat most levels just holding right on the D-Pad. That's somewhat true, especially in the early levels. But although it may be possible to COMPLETE the levels with little more than forward movement and the occasional jump, completing them QUICKLY for Time Attack purposes takes considerable skill, knowledge of the level, planning, and timing. That's what makes it fun.

10. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Off topic: Finish temptest of time plz :(

On topic: I honestly think the S3K levels to be on par with Sonic 1 and 2 levels, just with a different art style, I make an exception for Sandopolis, because those fucking ghosts annoy the shit out of me.

11. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I don't know what it is with you people but SANDOPOLIS IS EASY!

12. Rainer

Rainer

I feel for you, SMTP.

But yeah, it's easy once you get the hang of it. I ran through it when I first played it.

13. Vangar

Vangar

I don't care how easy it is, the level just sucks assholery,

14. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Agreed, easy as it may be, it's an annoying level with an irritating premise.

15. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Nonetheless I find it to be one of the best levels. =P

16. Pinkerton

Pinkerton

サメジマ・マミミ Oldbie
    I quite like Sandopolis. If it weren't for the fact that it takes so long, I'd like it even more. Ice Cap, Lava Reef, and Flying Battery are awesome though. Carnival Night though... is EVIL! It took me forever to figure out what to do in "the evil" room. I just wigged out and started doing random things, finally, one worked. :/

17. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I find that the longer the level is, the more enjoyable it is.

18. Termitedog

Termitedog

Pending Member
    London, United Kingdom
    Trying to get one of those 'Job' things i've been hearing so much about
    I prefer more levels than longer levels, that way there's more variety and I don't find it so tedious. That's one of the reasons why Sonic 2 is my personal favourite, but don't get me wrong S3&K levels kick ass, even Sandopolis..............but NOT Carnival night, that level pisses me off more than my ex girlfriend!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.