Sonic 3 prototype assets discovered in Sonic Jam (Game.com)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chainspike, Jan 3, 2020.

1. [​IMG]

It occurred to me that the unused gliding sprites may have been intended for Sonic 3 rather than Triple Trouble as well. Specifically the two closest to the left of the final(?). I can't think of where they would have fit in TT, but in Sonic 3 they'd make perfect sense as part of the begging of Sky Sanctuary Zone where Knuckles glides to the switch after he's worn out from fighting and electrocution.

The second to the right--also unused--eludes me. Maybe it's for when he's caught by Eggrobo before the Mecha Sonic fight.

Considering TT came out between the two halves of Sonic 3, makes me think SSZ was planned pretty early on?

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ah, this version's completely nailed it I think - the interpretation of some of the grey pixels in the mouth (by the teeth in the first frame, and at the bottom of the mouth in the second) as a visible tongue, similar to the Triple Trouble sprite, fixes what was otherwise a weird inconsistency in mouth shape in the second frame and makes the animation flow better. Again, both the darkest tan and the red used for the tongue use the same grey, so only the single-pixel tongue in the first frame is distinctly visible in the Sonic Jam sprite.

Interestingly, this restoration helps show a few inconsistencies with the final sprites; the interior of Knuckles' mouth uses a red shade here (which I believe is correct, as it's consistent with the grey assigned to it in the Jam sprite), but is consistently black in all final sprites - presumably this would have eventually been corrected for consistency had these sprites been kept. Secondly, the dreads furthest from the camera are drawn in front of his hands - the replacement final sprites correctly draw them behind the hand instead.

Also, is it me, or does it seem like a vertically squished version of the frame 2 head may have been used as the basis for the head in the final sprites, with the new eyes/mouth drawn in over the top...?

(Also, how long until someone makes a Sonic 3 A.I.R. mod implementing these versions of the sprites? Haha. XD)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just put the ROMs in the roms folder and:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    Here is a large graphical dump of the entire game. Big thanks to Lady Leia for extracting all this from the ROM. This contains almost all the graphical assets that exist inside the ROM. There's some unused graphics in here too, including some things seen in the prototype screenshots. Interestingly, there were large empty portions in ROM where graphics may have existed at one point. It would seem that the game size was cut-down for the final version.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Here is V2 of the colorization. Ah, did you find strange they converted his green socks to white? A possible explanation:

[​IMG]

The cutscene palette! I was able to simulate how they translated each palette entry so I know the red inside the mouth can't be the dark red on his skin, because that was translated into black, so it must have been the red of his shoes!

I used the 'getting hurt' sprite as a base for the eyelids.

[​IMG]

Here's the animation
    Cutscene colors
    [​IMG]

Final colors
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  6. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    Can somebody decipher the music of this game? If you play the title screen song in 2x speed and think deeply, you'll recognize the Sonic 3 Data Select Screen theme. I don't know whether the music is actually this awful in game or if it's just some emulation glitch... or audio engine glitch (think Mega Man on Game Boy). Any other interesting songs?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

7. It's equally bad on real hardware.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I can't watch any videos right now, but I'm pretty sure that Mushroom Hill is used in Emerald Hill.

9. Wafer

Wafer

Giving me a little Mania Member
    Disassembling n00bs, WIP
    That's PAINFUL. Weird, because I happened to read some reviews of the hardware on Wikipedia that PRAISED the audio?

10. Pengi

Pengi

And the first four seconds are Angel Island Zone. Interesting. I'd never thought to play it at double speed.

11. The other themes in Sonic Jam for game.com are, from what I can tell:
    • Act 1 is Mushroom Hill
    • Act 2 is Flying Battery
    • Special Stage is Blue Sphere
    Might've missed some, but from what I could find on YouTube this is it.

12. The complete OST seems to be

Data Select
    Angel Island
    Blue Spheres
    Mushroom Hill
    Flying Battery

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Chainspike

Chainspike

Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    Found a few more things while looking through the graphics.
    It looks like the pushing animation is also different:
    [​IMG]
    Then there is some Angel Island stuff I'm not too sure about:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Interesting - that's much more similar to the more static pushing animations Sonic and Tails have. It looks like frames 2 and 4 were kept as-is for the final (barring the tail on 4), but frames 1 and 3 were redrawn from the waist up to add more motion to the animation.

Incidentally, from looking at the feet, frames 1 and 3 appear to have accidentally switched places in the Sonic Jam version, effectively reversing the animation...!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  15. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

Frog blast the vent core! Member
    [​IMG]

I went ahead and restored what it probably looked like. I assumed the pixels that are transparent on the shoes and gloves in Game.com that aren't in Genesis are errors on the part of the Game.com version dev team.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The more I see of sonic 3 sprites lately the more I notice how slap dash some of the 3D rendered head replacements were, wow.

17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Making a correction here as it appears I was slightly wrong on this point - while all Knuckles' sprites as a playable character do consistently use black for the mouth interior, several cutscene-only sprites (including shouting at Eggman in Hidden Palace Zone, and panting for breath in Sky Sanctuary Zone) do indeed use this exact dark red shade. As these are cutscene-only sprites too, I'm guessing this wouldn't necessarily have been changed had they made it into the final game.

It's also further evidence suggesting that this colour choice in the restoration is indeed accurate to how the original Mega Drive version of the sprite would have looked.

18. Except it's not. In all sprites he has red inside of his mouth its the red of his shoes.

19. Chainspike

Chainspike

Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    The sprites in Sonic 3 were not 3D rendered. Although they could be inspired by the 3D models used on the title screen, they also seem to reflect the official art for the game.

20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I think some of the head angles were heavily referenced from a 3D render, they just have that feeling to them.